Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Help with a skin care regimen
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:57 am
Who could help me with a skin care regimen for my skin that's not complicated/expensive?

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:57 am
ask mirif I think that's her screen name.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:00 am
You just need a basic cleanser, sunscreen, and moisturizer. And a silk pillowcase can't hurt Very Happy

What is your skin type?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:08 am
Normal to oily

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 2:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Normal to oily

So I would recommend the following as a minimum:

AM
Wash with cleanser
Moisturize
Apply Sunscreen

PM
Wash with cleanser
Exfoliate (2-3x/week)
Moisturize

Depending on the needs of your skin and your preferences, you could also add a serum before moisturizing in the PM. You could also use a separate eye cream, but it's not necessary as long as you're gentle around the eye area and don't have any specific concerns that a cream could address.

Let me know if you need anymore specifics and/or want product recommendations.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 3:54 pm
I heard my name 😎

Nicole81 is 1000000000% right. Keep it simple. Cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen.
In terms of how often to wash/apply, that depends on what works for you. I have sensitive skin, so I wash my face and moisturize 1x a day, no exfoliating, no fragranced products.
Do you have any sort of skincare routine now? Are you acne prone? Is your skin sensitive? What’s your goal? Do you want product recommendations?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 4:37 pm
MiriFr wrote:
I heard my name 😎

Nicole81 is 1000000000% right. Keep it simple. Cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen.
In terms of how often to wash/apply, that depends on what works for you. I have sensitive skin, so I wash my face and moisturize 1x a day, no exfoliating, no fragranced products.
Do you have any sort of skincare routine now? Are you acne prone? Is your skin sensitive? What’s your goal? Do you want product recommendations?

I’m acne prone and have bags under eyes as well. What would you do recommend?

ima22

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 4:41 pm
Can I piggyback onto this post..
Would love specific product recommendations.
Especially for dealing with big dark bags under my eyes. Want to switch from glasses to contacts but at this point I can't.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 5:07 pm
I was gonna post ask Mirifr. She knows the stuff well. She helped me.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:58 pm
For the 2 who posted about dark circles/bags- I happily used Clinique All About Eyes for a few years. I've recently been using, and am very happy with, Algenist Triple Algae eye renewal balm. As far as drugstore options, I've heard good things about the Olay Total Effects cream and the Cerave one-- I think it's called eye repair cream. I can't speak personally to either of those though.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:59 pm
MiriFr wrote:
I heard my name 😎

You don't use anything with any AHA/BHA?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:02 pm
nicole81 wrote:
You just need a basic cleanser, sunscreen, and moisturizer. And a silk pillowcase can't hurt Very Happy

What is your skin type?

Hi, what can a silk pillowcase do?
can you post a link to a good one?
Thanks!

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:18 pm
Cerave products are really inexpensive drugstore but so recommended.

Not sure you can fix dark circles without skin treatments though.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:16 am
Up until now I rarely washed my face, sometimes with noxema or cetaphil (which I don't really like). I didn't realize that skin care had a cumulative effect. I thought moisturizing was just for the feel or for the immediate appearance.

I would love to follow up with the above suggested routine with specific products and exactly when and in what order I should put them on. I get overwhelmed by all the choices, specifically anti-aging and eye creams overwhelm me in how many there are and the different purpose of all those ingredients. But I am interested in doing it if I find a feasible product recommendation.

I am trying to address some darkness under my eyes, subtle wrinkles that I want to make less noticeable and what I can to help and prevent anything further. I find daily sunscreen a challenge to find a product that doesn't have a white cast to it.

I would say I have been largely clueless in this area, as well as just having no time to take care of myself and getting little sleep. I would like to improve how I nourish my skin if it will have an impact on it's future appearance and make this part of my self care. I used to consider my skin oily when I was younger not sure now-possibly have normal (more oily on t-zone) and a significant amount of blackheads (maybe cuz I never wash my face).
So if you could give me specific products and a little bit of why/how behind them would be amazing.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:19 am
Paula’s choice. They have fabulous products and you can make a real difference to your skin. You can call them and they will help you make a skin care plan over the phone. They aren’t pushy about their products in my experience. You can order online/ over the phone and have the products shipped to you.

Even if you have sensitive skin You should be exfoliating with a gentle leave on exfoliant. If you have real clogged pores and need an excellent exfoliant their 4% leave on BHA did amazing things for my skin. If you don’t have such troubled skin the 2% BHA should be fine.
Their 8% glycolic acid ( AHA) is also great.
Exfoliants should only be the leave on type and never the type you scrub as that destroys your skin and causes micro tears to your skin.
Skin should be washed twice a day with a gentle cleanser with warm water in circular motions. ( once in the evening and once in the morning) Always remove all makeup before bed!
Sunscreen is the biggest tool you have in your arsenal to protect your skin. Sunscreen should be worn every day 365 days a year. ( unless your indoors and never near windows).
A moisturizer that doesn’t cause break outs is super important as well. Paula’s Choice Clear non oil moisturizer - was a really great for my skin and doesn’t cause me to breakout.
There are lots of options in skin care but the bare minimum in a skin care routine is a cleanser, leave on exfoliant and moisturizer and in the morning the moisturizer must have sunscreen.
Feel free to ask any questions about skin care. I have been through a lot with my skin and learned a lot along the way.
Good luck!

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 5:50 am
What product is good for acne scars?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 6:07 am
This is great recommendation!
Would also like others to recommend drugstore products in a complete routine .
Thanks

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 6:43 am
This is an amazing sunscreen which goes on your face like butter and has a tint to it so it gives you very light coverage.
They started making them in a few different shades.

You can find it on many websites like Ulta, etc.

Oops I just noticed I forgot to add the link!
Google Australian gold tinted sunscreen

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 6:46 am
This- meaning which product exactly? Thanks!

nicole81

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:01 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Paula’s choice. They have fabulous products and you can make a real difference to your skin. You can call them and they will help you make a skin care plan over the phone. They aren’t pushy about their products in my experience. You can order online/ over the phone and have the products shipped to you.

Even if you have sensitive skin You should be exfoliating with a gentle leave on exfoliant. If you have real clogged pores and need an excellent exfoliant their 4% leave on BHA did amazing things for my skin. If you don’t have such troubled skin the 2% BHA should be fine.
Their 8% glycolic acid ( AHA) is also great.
Exfoliants should only be the leave on type and never the type you scrub as that destroys your skin and causes micro tears to your skin.
Skin should be washed twice a day with a gentle cleanser with warm water in circular motions. ( once in the evening and once in the morning) Always remove all makeup before bed!
Sunscreen is the biggest tool you have in your arsenal to protect your skin. Sunscreen should be worn every day 365 days a year. ( unless your indoors and never near windows).
A moisturizer that doesn’t cause break outs is super important as well. Paula’s Choice Clear non oil moisturizer - was a really great for my skin and doesn’t cause me to breakout.
There are lots of options in skin care but the bare minimum in a skin care routine is a cleanser, leave on exfoliant and moisturizer and in the morning the moisturizer must have sunscreen.
Feel free to ask any questions about skin care. I have been through a lot with my skin and learned a lot along the way.
Good luck!

Yup. I agree with everything amother said-- except that physical exfoliants *can* be applied gently and correctly without causing microtears-- however chemical exfoliation (AHA/BHA) is definitely preferable, especially for a newbie. And it's a necessary part of a skincare routine.

Paula's Choice is a good resource-- both their brand and their site.

OP- you sounds like you have skin like mine. When I have time later, I'll post more specifically regarding products and my own daily routine (the order I posted above is the order of application). My experience is largely with non-drugstore products because I happened to work in an office next to Sephora when I got into skincare many years ago Very Happy but I do use a couple of drugstore products. What amother said about finding the right moisturizer is true, too, which is one of the benefits about a store like Sephora; you can take home product samples without spending. But I believe Walgreens/Riteaid and CVS allow returns on open beauty products if you're good with keeping receipts while you try different items.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics