Home

ISO Natural recipes for these soups: Mushroom, Onion, Veg.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:26 pm
Im looking for natural recipes for these soups, preferably pareve:

Mushroom Soup,

Onion Soup

Vegetable Soup (not pea based).

No ingredients like Osem unnatural type flavoring/powders.
Back to top

honeymoon




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:32 pm
Veggie soup:

Shred veggies in the food processor with the shredder blade. I use onions, carrots, green and yellow squash, parsley, parsnip, kohlrabi, turnip. Sauté in oil for 2 hours (or longer for deeper flavor). Fill pot with water to cover (more water for a lighter soup, less for thick.) Add salt, pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil. Lower flame and let simmer for another hour or two. Enjoy!
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:34 pm
French Onion Soup

4 large onions, sliced
4 Tbsp butter
1 cup dry white wine (like $5 chablis)
2 Tbsp flour
8 cups water
1 Tbsp salt or to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper

In a 4-quart stockpot, sauté onions in butter over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until caramelized to a nice golden brown, stirring frequently so they don’t burn.
Add wine and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Slowly stir in flour.
Stirring to keep lumps from forming, add water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Ladle into bowls.
Either top the with a piece or French bread that has been toasted cheese until bubbly.
Or just sprinkle with a lot of cheese, which will melt immediately.

Mushroom Barley Soup - stargazer
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....36858


Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:42 pm
ra_mom wrote:
French Onion Soup
.....In a 4-quart stockpot, sauté onions in butter over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until caramelized to a nice golden brown, stirring frequently so they don’t burn.
Add wine and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Slowly stir in flour.
Stirring to keep lumps from forming, add water, onion soup mix, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat.


Is there an all natural onion soup mix? If not, will soup taste ok without it?

ra_mom wrote:
Mushroom Barley Soup - stargazer
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....36858


Can barley be omitted for those who dont care for barley?
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is there an all natural onion soup mix? If not, will soup taste ok without it?

That was a mistake. I edited. I don't use mixes.
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can barley be omitted for those who dont care for barley?

Use more vegetables and vary the cuts/textures.
Back to top

Teomima




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:38 am
Just omit the soup mix from any regular recipe. It's mostly just salt, anyways. Add a bit extra is any flavor-rich ingredients like onion, celery, ginger, etc. I love things like celery salt and garlic salt to give an extra, natural oomph.

I stopped buying soup mixes a few years back when I realized they were totally unnecessary. Assuming you buy msg-free ones, just look at the ingredient list and you'll see you probably already have all the individual ingredients in hand. So I just add a dash of this and that to soups, plus plenty of salt, and I don't miss the powder at all.
Back to top

Thisisnotmyreal




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:58 pm
You can use rice instead of barley for mushroom barley soup if you'd like.

I never use onion soup mix. Just add more onion powder and garlic powder and salt.
Back to top

amother




Navy
 

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:06 pm
I don't use mixes ever. Just omit it and add more spices. I don't measure so not good at giving recipes but plenty of nice recipes online without mixes.
Back to top

trixx




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:45 pm
The umami spice from TJ apparently tastes like soup mix
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:57 pm
honeymoon wrote:
Veggie soup:

Shred veggies in the food processor with the shredder blade. I use onions, carrots, green and yellow squash, parsley, parsnip, kohlrabi, turnip. Sauté in oil for 2 hours (or longer for deeper flavor). Fill pot with water to cover (more water for a lighter soup, less for thick.) Add salt, pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil. Lower flame and let simmer for another hour or two. Enjoy!


A looong saute is key for great flavor - but too much work for just one soup.

So I use this recipe to make "soup mix" for EIGHT soups:

2 lb onions

1 lb carrots

1 large zuchini

1/2 knob celery or 5 lg celery stalks

1 large parsnip

1 large turnip

1 bell pepper (any color)

4 - 5 cloves garlic

using S blade, process onions and saute for 10 minutes. Meanwhile start peeling carrots then process and add, along with rest of vegetables. Saute for 30 - 45 minutes.

Cool. Divide mixture into EIGHT sandwich bags and freeze.

To make vegetable soup.

3 - 4 quarts water. Add one frozen soup mixture (don't have to defrost).

Then add other fresh or frozen vegetables like: Soup will be done in less than an hour!

Suggested add - ins (don't have to use all). Season with salt & pepper.
Optional: Add Squirt of Ketchup to soup for extra flavor.

Potatoes

frozen mixed vegetables

frozen butternut squash

frozen cauliflower

frozen broccoli

canned mushrooms and barley (barley needs longer cooking time)

canned beans
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:20 am
#BestBubby wrote:
A looong saute is key for great flavor - but too much work for just one soup.

So I use this recipe to make "soup mix" for EIGHT soups:

2 lb onions

1 lb carrots

1 large zuchini

1/2 knob celery or 5 lg celery stalks

1 large parsnip

1 large turnip

1 bell pepper (any color)

4 - 5 cloves garlic

using S blade, process onions and saute for 10 minutes. Meanwhile start peeling carrots then process and add, along with rest of vegetables. Saute for 30 - 45 minutes.

Cool. Divide mixture into EIGHT sandwich bags and freeze.

To make vegetable soup.

3 - 4 quarts water. Add one frozen soup mixture (don't have to defrost).

Then add other fresh or frozen vegetables like: Soup will be done in less than an hour!

Suggested add - ins (don't have to use all). Season with salt & pepper.
Optional: Add Squirt of Ketchup to soup for extra flavor.

Potatoes

frozen mixed vegetables

frozen butternut squash

frozen cauliflower

frozen broccoli

canned mushrooms and barley (barley needs longer cooking time)

canned beans


I loves this idea. Thanks for sharing.
Btw is split peas and red lentils unhealthy/fattening?
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:06 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I loves this idea. Thanks for sharing.
Btw is split peas and red lentils unhealthy/fattening?


Legumes are EXTREMELY healthy. You might want to count them as protein vs. veggie, but I don't count too much; I just try to eat healthy.
Back to top

amother




Turquoise
 

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:33 am
Do you have a lot of onions

Chopped onions a lot, like 3+ cups more is better
Butter or oil for sauteeing, if using butter use a generous amount
Salt and pepper to taste
Leftover challah - cubed to make about 1.5-2 cups

Cook onions on a low flame until onion becomes soft, sweet and yummy. This takes a long time. Cover on a very low flame and just let it cook, but don’t get it brown.
After about 1 hr. Add water to the top of the pot
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for about 30 minutes so the flavours meld
At this point you could freeze.

Shut flame and add bread cubes. Cover and let it sit for 5-10 minutes so that the bread absorbs some of the soup.
If the soup got too cold you can bring it back to temperature

Trader Joe’s makes a chicken soup spice that’s all natural
Back to top

amother




Tan
 

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:55 am
All Shuk up on Instagram has soup mixes from shuk that are very good
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Related Topics Replies Last Post
ISO of tester for rapid covid testing for Miami wedding
by amother
6 Today at 11:04 pm View last post
ISO dance class in five towns / far rockaway area
by amother
0 Today at 5:12 pm View last post
ISO Nonstick Double Burner Grill Pan (not pre-seasoned)
by amother
1 Today at 2:01 pm View last post
ISO Orthodontist, NY, insurance
by amother
1 Today at 12:15 pm View last post
ISO large cellophane bags in BP/bklyn
by jfk92
4 Yesterday at 10:39 pm View last post