Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can I lose weight and drink a milkshake every day?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:25 am
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.
If I want to lose a few pounds over the next month or so....
and I'm eating a healthy breakfast/supper etc.
Can I drink a milkshake for lunch and still lose weight?
I love ordering a daily Carmel/Expresso Milkshake after work...it's a real pick me up for me...
I've tried other "Skinny frappes", nope doesn't do it.
This milkshake is made with 1) vanilla ice cream 2) bit of milk 3) a little carmel 4) shot of expresso
It's thick and delicious and keeps me full for hours....
I order a 16 oz. and it has whip cream on top of that....

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:30 am
Is this a joke? Lol!
Unless you are an athlete, nope you can't drink a milkshake per day and lose weight!

abaker

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:30 am
Try it and see. Balance is key. Oh I want a milkshake now.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:34 am
absolutely..... if you are eating a fraction of what you used to eat for breakfast and dinner.

clowny

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:35 am
Op, can you try it and let me know the results? Because I would probably not lose weight just by looking at it, let alone drinking it.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:35 am
Why not?

CICO works. Calories in, calories out.

So if your lifestyle accounts for an awesome, happy-making milkshake, then why not have it? It sounds like a ritual you really enjoy and should keep. Smile

ETA - I'm a big believer in upping your activity over restricting your calories. Eat what makes you healthy and happy, and set up your fitness regimen to match your ideal.

Last edited by Rappel on Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:37 am
I'm going to have serious withdrawal LOL!!!
if I'm doing a calorie counting diet- how many calories should I assume for my 16 oz. milkshake?
I'm assuming I won't be able to have it daily.....if over the week I want to have a deficit of calories to lose one pound (need 3,500 calories deficit, right?)
meaning, my understanding is that if over the entire week you have this deficit then you lose the pound...so maybe I can stick in my milkshake somewhere or other...
does anyone know how to calculate the milkshake?
I looked on nutritionix but some milkshakes are 250, some are 660 (they only have trief eateries)

Redbird

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:37 am
You can eat straight up ice cream for all your meals, and lose weight. As long as you're eating at a calorie deficit! But just because you're losing weight doesn't mean it's good for you.

Personally, I haven't been eating healthy for a long time, basically carbs 3 meals a day plus nosh. But lately for the past few months I committed to try eating at least two healthy meals a day. (It doesn't even happen every single day, but most) That's it. Not to go on a "diet." I know my lifestyle is still far from ideal, but I am proud of myself for the change I've made. I've lost just a couple pounds, but I don't care. As long as I'm trending downwards. Getting healthy is about changing habits. Not focusing on the number on the scale. It's about making changes that will last for life.

Sorry for the long rant. My point is eating a shake a day is not healthy, but as long as you're making steady improvement in your lifestyle, I think you should consider that a win.

Last edited by Redbird on Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:39 am
clowny wrote:
Op, can you try it and let me know the results? Because I would probably not lose weight just by looking at it, let alone drinking it.

Thanks for the laugh!!
do you want the results either way???
last week I drank one every day...didn't lose!!
but thinking maybe I calculated it wrong....I put it in as 450 calories (pls don't laugh at me if I am way off!!)

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm going to have serious withdrawal LOL!!!
if I'm doing a calorie counting diet- how many calories should I assume for my 16 oz. milkshake?
I'm assuming I won't be able to have it daily.....if over the week I want to have a deficit of calories to lose one pound (need 3,500 calories deficit, right?)
meaning, my understanding is that if over the entire week you have this deficit then you lose the pound...so maybe I can stick in my milkshake somewhere or other...
does anyone know how to calculate the milkshake?
I looked on nutritionix but some milkshakes are 250, some are 660 (they only have trief eateries)

You got it!

Break it down to its components and quantities, and calculate those.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:45 am
Rappel wrote:
Why not?

CICO works. Calories in, calories out.

So if your lifestyle accounts for an awesome, happy-making milkshake, then why not have it? It sounds like a ritual you really enjoy and should keep. Smile

ETA - I'm a big believer in upping your activity over restricting your calories. Eat what makes you healthy and happy, and set up your fitness regimen to match your ideal.

Hey, I like your way of thinking. It's funny you mention it's a ritual....in a way it really is, like I decompress from my extremely high intensity job this way....I drive over....I order, I wait, I check my phone, I relax, I DON'T TALK TO ANYBODY (I talk/listen alot in my line of work)
and I do dance every day.
I love it.
it's so exhilarating.
I really work up a sweat and I love the feeling of flying.
so when I calculated how many calories I need to eat weekly, I did include that activity level.
but I didn't lose last week.
so maybe I'm miscalculating the daily milkshake (I'm putting it in as 450 calories, someone called the place where I ordered it, and the guy told them that....probably a mistake and I just believed him)
to be fair the guy did say it's not an exact science, like if it's for medical reasons, it's not absolute.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:47 am
It can be anywhere from a few hundred calories to 1200. 1/2 cup of icecream (4 oz) can be 200 calories easily. All depends on flavor, what percent milk, how much the carmel has, etc. You can lose weight if you are careful with everything else but doesn’t seem like a smart plan to waste half your daily calories on something with minimal nutrition.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:50 am
Rappel wrote:
You got it!

Break it down to its components and quantities, and calculate those.

So today I tried asking the guy for amounts, he said he has no idea....
It's a 16 oz. cup, there's no ice (I'm pretty sure, I can double check that)
so all there is
vanilla ice cream
red milk
carmel (I told him to half it, so maybe 2 tbs.???)
expresso (no calories)

I know this sounds so obsessive with food, I don't obsess with food, but I'm pretty picky (I won't eat anything whereever) and like you nailed it, it's a ritual that works for me/my job (this place is near my work- but not too near!!! I need to drive for like 2 minutes....far enough to decompress- and I happen to looooooove what I do, it's crazy fulfilling, but it's also really, really high intensity, I'm always ON)
also, I'm the type of person I can eat the same exact food every day. no problem. I don't need a ton of variety. I'm happy to just have the things I like and finished.
Same with Shabbos, I make the same menu every single week. B'H works amazing for my family too.

rising hero

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:54 am
Try asking for blue milk instead

amother
OP

notshanarishona wrote:
It can be anywhere from a few hundred calories to 1200. 1/2 cup of icecream (4 oz) can be 200 calories easily. All depends on flavor, what percent milk, how much the carmel has, etc. You can lose weight if you are careful with everything else but doesn’t seem like a smart plan to waste half your daily calories on something with minimal nutrition.

Yeah, I really hear you......it's really empty calories (milk?? calcium?? some saving grace maybe LOL)
if it's really 450, then I'm fine, I have enough calories left for my other 2 meals, plus a snack or two.
I'm not a nosher at all.
Once I have my menu, I'm done.
but obviously the milkshake was too high (the other foods I calculated I made at home so were more certainly spot on with the calorie intake)

amother
OP

Madam F. wrote:
Try asking for blue milk instead

They don't offer it!!!
I'm still in shock over this!!
I mean, it's 2021!!!!

Frumme

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:55 am
Maybe skip the whipped cream and ask for a smaller cup size. You can have, just have less

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They don't offer it!!!
I'm still in shock over this!!
I mean, it's 2021!!!!

Most people ordering a milk shake arent counting calories 🤣

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah, I really hear you......it's really empty calories (milk?? calcium?? some saving grace maybe LOL)
if it's really 450, then I'm fine, I have enough calories left for my other 2 meals, plus a snack or two.
I'm not a nosher at all.
Once I have my menu, I'm done.
but obviously the milkshake was too high (the other foods I calculated I made at home so were more certainly spot on with the calorie intake)

Not totally empty, but you can get = nutrition in a cup or so of milk without all the sugar and cream .

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:00 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Most people ordering a milk shake arent counting calories 🤣

LOL!!!
I'm probably the only nut!!!!!
so that's why the guy looked at me funny when I asked him how many cups of ice cream are in that thing!!! he's like, "I dunno, got no idea, they just make it back there" and he's giving me this look, like wwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhy do you need to know?????
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise