Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can I lose weight and drink a milkshake every day?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:11 pm
cbg wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble but I think your milkshake is closer to 1100 calories

even for a small? it's 16 oz.....
I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, I think it does make sense that its alooot of calories!!! for sure the large hit over 1000!!!
but rita's ice small salted caramel milkshake is listed at like 530.....
if it's 1100, I don't see how I'll be able to have it even once a week.....

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.
If I want to lose a few pounds over the next month or so....
and I'm eating a healthy breakfast/supper etc.
Can I drink a milkshake for lunch and still lose weight?
I love ordering a daily Carmel/Expresso Milkshake after work...it's a real pick me up for me...
I've tried other "Skinny frappes", nope doesn't do it.
This milkshake is made with 1) vanilla ice cream 2) bit of milk 3) a little carmel 4) shot of expresso
It's thick and delicious and keeps me full for hours....
I order a 16 oz. and it has whip cream on top of that....

That shake probably has the calories of a a full day’s worth of food! You won’t lose weight with it.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:46 pm
If it's just the experience of going there, waiting for your item & relaxing, why not just get a small black coffee & add 2% milk & non-caloric sweetener? (Though some say that's bad for dieters, better use stevia!)

If the place doesn't have 2% milk it's time to request they bring it in! Though chances are most people who are health or weight conscious are not frequenting this place.

Can't go by me. For a while I was stopping at my local ice cream place. I would get a small frozen yogurt w chocolate sauce and a small popcorn.

But since I'm working on my weight (which roughly began right before Corona, at which point I stopped going into stores) the most I do pop some popcorn at home.

penguin

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:47 pm
BTW OP your title does not make sense.

Yes you can lose weight and then you'll gain it all back every time you drink a milkshake.

I think what you mean is, Can I drink a milkshake very day and still lose weight?

And the answer is, sure, if it's a low calorie milkshake! But not one with ice cream : )

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:04 pm
The app Lose it or myfitnesspal has a pretty extensive database. I type in shnitzel or carvel ice cream and they have it!! You can estimate based on that.
Also from experience... You could eat unhealthy and lose weight... But the more sugar you have the more you crave more and it's just practically much harder to do long term. Because you will still be hungry... And if you sort of deprive yourself of that hunger eventually you will snap/binge. So usually people realize that it can't work for them and to succeed have to change their lifestlye. This is from personal experience also of logging a 450 milkshake while counting calories... I exercised a ton and lost weight... But long term I couldn't sustain it. Bh don't have so much to lose... But trying to also encorperate ntuitive eating with calorie counting. Like am I emotionally eating or do I really want this right now ?

Edit: I want to also maybe replace hunger with crave sugar... Cause maybe you don't feel hunger but you neeeeeeeeeed moreeeeee sugarrrrr

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:08 pm
penguin wrote:
BTW OP your title does not make sense.

Yes you can lose weight and then you'll gain it all back every time you drink a milkshake.

I think what you mean is, Can I drink a milkshake very day and still lose weight?

And the answer is, sure, if it's a low calorie milkshake! But not one with ice cream : )

Nope. If you eat just a milkshake everyday and nothing else you will be starving yourself. You will lose weight... Fast. My point is not to say to do this obviously but just to out your statement in perspective that it's false.

flmommy

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:31 pm
I would find a better low cal treat and shave the milkshake for once a week.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:05 pm
cyan, so your milkshake was 450? which one was it?
btw, I didn't gain weight last week, so prob. milkshake wasn't so high...but I don't want to maintain now, I want to lose....

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:07 pm
flmommy wrote:
I would find a better low cal treat and shave the milkshake for once a week.

That would be doable for me.
but if the milkshake is really 1100, then I'm losing much of my 3500 calorie deficit.....

Hey I have an idea, I have a rita's ice that's not so far, maybe for my weekly shake I should just go there, they have the calories up on the board (accurate??? anybody knows??)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:10 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
The app Lose it or myfitnesspal has a pretty extensive database. I type in shnitzel or carvel ice cream and they have it!! You can estimate based on that.
Also from experience... You could eat unhealthy and lose weight... But the more sugar you have the more you crave more and it's just practically much harder to do long term. Because you will still be hungry... And if you sort of deprive yourself of that hunger eventually you will snap/binge. So usually people realize that it can't work for them and to succeed have to change their lifestlye. This is from personal experience also of logging a 450 milkshake while counting calories... I exercised a ton and lost weight... But long term I couldn't sustain it. Bh don't have so much to lose... But trying to also encorperate ntuitive eating with calorie counting. Like am I emotionally eating or do I really want this right now ?

Edit: I want to also maybe replace hunger with crave sugar... Cause maybe you don't feel hunger but you neeeeeeeeeed moreeeeee sugarrrrr

Also just curios if you tried nutritionix, and how they compare? I'm using that now...they have a lot of restaurant foods, but somehow I can't figure out the milkshake....like each place was vastly different....over vacation I went out with my kids for chocolate cheese muffins and coffee, I found a chocolate cheese muffin from The Cheesecake Factory on nutritnix so I plugged that in (was like 680!!!! definitely a vacation day type of thing!!!)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:12 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
If it's just the experience of going there, waiting for your item & relaxing, why not just get a small black coffee & add 2% milk & non-caloric sweetener? (Though some say that's bad for dieters, better use stevia!)

If the place doesn't have 2% milk it's time to request they bring it in! Though chances are most people who are health or weight conscious are not frequenting this place.

Can't go by me. For a while I was stopping at my local ice cream place. I would get a small frozen yogurt w chocolate sauce and a small popcorn.

But since I'm working on my weight (which roughly began right before Corona, at which point I stopped going into stores) the most I do pop some popcorn at home.

Yeah, I wish I could do that, I would lose weight so fast!! but truthfully, I do need more calories at that point, I don't go home after work cuz it's not worth it before I drive to carpool, so I need to figure out something I can purchase in stores ready made....

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:18 pm
I put up a thread beginning of the week/last week bout helping lose weight. Got some grt ideas! I bh now eat only unprocessed foods. No extra sugar except the lil bit in yogurt and milk. No carbs not even rice/potatoes. It was rlly hard for first few days I had major sugar withdrawal. Headache, extreme nausea, snappy at kids. But for me lasted till yesterday and now so much better! Have more energy! After yrs of trying so many different things o think the way I’m going now is the right way. The healthy way. The sustainable way. I don’t eat any carbs bc I kno it’s a trigger food for me hence the no brown rice/potatoes. Try doing this for week and c the difference. If u find a way to eat a milkshake and lose weight pls tell everyone ur secret!!!! We’d pay zillions to hear lol

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:20 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I put up a thread beginning of the week/last week bout helping lose weight. Got some grt ideas! I bh now eat only unprocessed foods. No extra sugar except the lil bit in yogurt and milk. No carbs not even rice/potatoes. It was rlly hard for first few days I had major sugar withdrawal. Headache, extreme nausea, snappy at kids. But for me lasted till yesterday and now so much better! Have more energy! After yrs of trying so many different things o think the way I’m going now is the right way. The healthy way. The sustainable way. I don’t eat any carbs bc I kno it’s a trigger food for me hence the no brown rice/potatoes. Try doing this for week and c the difference. If u find a way to eat a milkshake and lose weight pls tell everyone ur secret!!!! We’d pay zillions to hear lol

Yeah, I'll let you all in on the secret LOL.....so far not a pound off!!!

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:56 am
Read about dopamine and junk food, it’s important to know.

champion

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 6:04 am
can you make yourself yummy shakes at home? you can swap the ice cream for yogurt and caramel sauce or use a lower calorie ice cream. you can play around with different nuts and fruits. There are so many delicious shakes you can make yourself and they can either be a real meal (yogurt, milk, nuts and fruits) or a treat (low fat ice cream, low fat milk, rice crispies peanut butter etc...)

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
even for a small? it's 16 oz.....
I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, I think it does make sense that its alooot of calories!!! for sure the large hit over 1000!!!
but rita's ice small salted caramel milkshake is listed at like 530.....
if it's 1100, I don't see how I'll be able to have it even once a week.....

16oz might be the smallest size offered but it’s by no means SMALL. As a frame of reference even Starbucks size smaller (tall) is smaller) 12 oz.

imanothermother

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:44 am
Did you ever try the low calorie pints of ice cream? Beyers, Halo top, enlightened?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:50 am
Have you tried all the alternatives? Smoothies, egg creams, literal milkshakes (just milk, flavor and ice), etc?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:53 am
Op, the drink is a small drop in the bucket of a much bigger problem - your addicted to sugar (subconsciously obv) and this is your pick me up. That’s why the whole experience feels so good. You’re getting your high...

4g01o

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:57 am
Sure you can!
I once lost 5 pounds in one week and I had an ice cream cornet every day 🙈

But it all depends what you were eating originally, and how healthy your other meals are. Good luck and enjoy your milkshakes Very Happy
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise