Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you keep window gel decorations from year to year?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:16 am
Is it worth it to keep them? Or just toss and repurchase?

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:19 am
Good question. The one time that I hung up some for chanukah, we just left them up for about 5-6 years until eventually the sun started melting them and I threw them away. Smile

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:51 pm
I've never used window gels but I totally would if I did. I've been putting up the same Purim and Chanuka decorations every year for many years and see no reason or excuse for tossing them as long as they remain in good condition.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:01 pm
Right I agree issue is that window gels with lots of little pieces have to be peeled and properly stored on wax paper- not same as other decorations- a real pain! And maybe can be messy/ tacky as well

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right I agree issue is that window gels with lots of little pieces have to be peeled and properly stored on wax paper- not same as other decorations- a real pain! And maybe can be messy/ tacky as well

You don't need to save gel window clings on wax paper. You can put them in plastic bags.

The nuisance value of all those little pieces is probably why I don't use them. That, and because they look like candy and practically beg little tykes to put them in their mouths, where they are a clear and present choking hazard. But if I already had them and I had no little tykes around and if they were still in good condition and I had all the pieces, I would surely save them.

My department sends equipment away for annual maintenance. It comes back in cartons with stickers saying things like fragile, do not drop or delicate equipment, this side up. I painstakingly peel off the stickers, put them on nonsticky backing sheets saved from Avery labels, and keep them in a file folder so that when I send out the equipment the following year, I have these labels to put on my cartons. It sounds like a huge tircha, right? It's not. It's less bother than jumping through administrative hoops to order the labels.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 1:41 pm
I save them. Not because of the cost, they are inexpensive, but because it is nice to already have them and not have to run to a store and remember and wastefulness hurts my soul and is bad for the environment.
Hashem gave this world to us and it is our responsibility to take care of it the best we can, and while I am not the worlds biggest environmentalist or knowledgeable about all things recycling, keeping this is really not such a tircha.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 4:42 pm
Definitely dump. They cost a couple of dollars only. Its more expensive to buy wax paper and figure out how to store it

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 4:49 pm
I got from Amazing Savings (bad quality??) and they didn't hold up well even the first year. I put them away in a zip lock bag but this year they didn't stick at all and I tossed them.
can't hurt to try and see next year, IN YERUSHALAYIM, to see what happens.

ocean blue

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 4:50 pm
I keep them from year to year on the same plastic sheets they came. My kids have fun sticking them on and peeling them off. We dont have that many small pieces. Mostly menoras dreidels and donuts..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics