Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Mattel in hebrew?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:42 pm
I am.iyh expecting a girl. The only name I have is Mattel. The person was super special and had another regular name also but I cant use it as I have thr same one:)
I would love to name after her but not willing to name just mattel. Either I add a name or I find out the hebrew version and name that.
Any ideas? And if I add a name I like meaningful ones.

bepositive

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:45 pm
I know someone that named her daughter Mattel but they are calling her tali.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:50 pm
I've never heard the name Mattel. What does it mean? Maybe you could do something with the meaning.

Or how about adapting it slightly, and naming the baby Meital? That's a beautiful hebrew name, more common in some circles thanm others, but generally accepted.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:52 pm
I have a Maytal for a Mathilda and we get so many compliments BH

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:53 pm
Mattel is Hebrew מאטיל
I know some that go by the name Matti

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:13 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Mattel is Hebrew מאטיל
I know some that go by the name Matti

I believe it's Yiddish, actually - but even though it's my name I've never been able to get a straight clear answer as to what it means. The closest I've gotten is that it's some shortened variation of Matilda (I've heard this from a few places, no clue if it's true though ). And I have a second, more common name but I don't use it. What can I say... my name grew on me over the years LOL

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:19 pm
I keep thinking of the toy manufacturer.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:20 pm
So the person I would love to name after was called Matilda or Tilly. I only found out when she was much older that her name was ______ Mattel. She was an amazing person who lived till she was over 100.
I also assumed it was a Yiddish name. Does anyone even know the meaning?

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So the person I would love to name after was called Matilda or Tilly. I only found out when she was much older that her name was ______ Mattel. She was an amazing person who lived till she was over 100.
I also assumed it was a Yiddish name. Does anyone even know the meaning?

Honestly I'm not sure there is a meaning. I asked my halacha rebbi in high school and he kinda shrugged and I said I dunno , probably Matilda? And everyone I've ever asked said it doesn't mean anything, it's just short for something. And I think there are diff variations of it - but I think no one really knows! I'm still holding out hope for one day, maybe, but not very much hope.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:37 pm
DrMom wrote:
I keep thinking of the toy manufacturer.

Lol my mom specifically didn't want that bec she thought it'd look awkward so even though my name is מאטיל, on my birth certificate she wrote Matti LOL LOL

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:40 pm
Adorable and much more common lately

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:43 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Honestly I'm not sure there is a meaning. I asked my halacha rebbi in high school and he kinda shrugged and I said I dunno , probably Matilda? And everyone I've ever asked said it doesn't mean anything, it's just short for something. And I think there are diff variations of it - but I think no one really knows! I'm still holding out hope for one day, maybe, but not very much hope.

I have also asked and try to look into it but didnt find anything out...
I am leaning on naming it with another name but don't have any ideas besides tehila mattel (sounds like Tilly)

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:46 pm
PM Ruchel, not only does she know a lot about Jewish names but IIRC, her daughter is named Mati.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have also asked and try to look into it but didnt find anything out...
I am leaning on naming it with another name but don't have any ideas besides tehila mattel (sounds like Tilly)

Well I'll just say that it's a very popular name in my family and everyone has a different name added on and we're all (besides one) called Matti. So I don't know if it really makes a difference which name you choose, as long as you like it. Even if you think it doesn't "go" you might find that over time the name combination might grow on you. I personally think it's the type of name that could go with lots of other names. Just make sure it's a name that you like! Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:58 pm
Can you tell me some of them? We have in my family also but most ppl just named her full name which I cant do. Only other one we have is Sara Mattel ans she calls herself tilly.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:05 pm
Some of us have the Mattel first, some have it second. There's a Mattel Sara, Mattel Leah, Chaya Mattel (Chaya/Chava/Chana pretty much always work as names to add on, btw)
Pretty sure I've heard an Esther Mattel also
Like I said... figure out what works for you, sleep on it for a few days/weeks and see how natural the name feels for you after that time. If you really can't get it to roll off your tongue naturally you might want to go for something else but there's really no right answer here

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:29 pm
My Bubby was Mattel Yehudis. I like the combination.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:35 pm
bepositive wrote:
I know someone that named her daughter Mattel but they are calling her tali.

Isn’t tali a Hebrew boys nickname for tal? Is it accepted as girl’s name too?

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Isn’t tali a Hebrew boys nickname for tal? Is it accepted as girl’s name too?

In the US it’s a common girls’ nickname for Avital or Talia.

agreer

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:59 pm
I love Matti, both as an only name and as a second name.

I don't love Mattel as a first name or only name. It's okay as a second name.

It's definitely not hebrew.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names