Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please help me design my kitchen layout!
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:19 pm
Ok, I need some more eyes on this new kitchen layout.

To the right of the area is like a hallway/empty space that I can't put cabinets so I didn't really include it...
The full size of the layout is for a 15x15 foot kitchen area.
We really want a table as opposed to an island...
So...any input and advice is welcome.
We want to make it nice - but standard - nothing super high end...so I think the appliances I make room for are the basic fridge/ovens/dishwashers/microwaves..

Please let me know what you think! Thanks!

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:21 pm
Without thinking too deeply- maybe get a rectangular table you can move against the empty space wall and an island in the center. An island is very convenient.

I don’t know how big of a space you have and if it will be too crowded though...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:36 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Without thinking too deeply- maybe get a rectangular table you can move against the empty space wall and an island in the center. An island is very convenient.

I don’t know how big of a space you have and if it will be too crowded though...

I need a table to fit 10 people - so yes - it would be too crowded with both a table and an island, so I thought this was a nice homey look for the kitchen.

Each little light square is 1 foot in real life by the way.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:42 pm
Why don't you place fridge and pantry and maybe a double wall oven in row on front wall. Then 2 sinks in the el. corner sinks waste a lot of space. I think it is worth to take a kitchen space designer.

Boca00

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:46 pm
Maybe you can get an island with the counter overhanging about a foot so you can use bar stools (the type with backs that look like regular chairs).
You could possibly even get a 2 tiered one that is lower on one side for the younger kids.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:47 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Why don't you place fridge and pantry and maybe a double wall oven in row on front wall. Then 2 sinks in the el. corner sinks waste a lot of space. I think it is worth to take a kitchen space designer.

But I hate corner cabinets - so I figured having a sink there will kill a cabinet anyway - so let it be for the plumbing of the sink... I can send it to a designer..but I've seen tons of a great ideas on this site so wanted to pick your brains Smile.

How else can I resolve that corner??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:48 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Maybe you can get an island with the counter overhanging about a foot so you can use bar stools (the type with backs that look like regular chairs).
You could possibly even get a 2 tiered one that is lower on one side for the younger kids.

We eat supper a lot as a family BH..so we really want the table.. I love the look of an island, but the table is just more important for us.

Kiddiemom3

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:00 pm
I don't have time now to study this but some things that jump out at me are the following :

The flat wall I assume milichigs I would change the counter with stove and of course add a 3'' divider bet oven and pantry the pantry I would do a 12'' deep front cabinet and behind one that opens to the side a deeper one.

On top of the corner sink make sure to use flat cabinets with a hinged door so that all is accessible and useful. You might want to choose the corner cabinet to hold bulkier items on a lazy Susan. The door should be the same as top hinged. I would put a sink in front of the window. Also make room for a 6 '' spice cabinet draw but not near a stove.

Gotta run so that's that for now

flower2

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:18 pm
I understand your need/preference for a table but would suggest you do an island/table- have lower cabinets for storage with a overhand on all 4 sides that you can tuck chairs under. This way you have a place for fam meals/kids and for doing hw/projects/helping.

I would also put meat sink by the window and get good corner cabinets- so many choices these days- lazy Susan, drawers, l-shaped pull outs

For dairy side, move the micro/stove further from the sink so y have a longer stretch of workable counter-space (leave only 1-2 feet of space on farther side of oven to where cabinets end)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:22 pm
I did the table without an island and do not regret it. I have a nice amount of space all around, lots of cabinets and counter space.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:44 pm
Kiddiemom3 wrote:
I don't have time now to study this but some things that jump out at me are the following :

The flat wall I assume milichigs I would change the counter with stove and of course add a 3'' divider bet oven and pantry the pantry I would do a 12'' deep front cabinet and behind one that opens to the side a deeper one.

On top of the corner sink make sure to use flat cabinets with a hinged door so that all is accessible and useful. You might want to choose the corner cabinet to hold bulkier items on a lazy Susan. The door should be the same as top hinged. I would put a sink in front of the window. Also make room for a 6 '' spice cabinet draw but not near a stove.

Gotta run so that's that for now

You mean switch the milchig sink and the oven? And also I don’t understand what you mean with the corner cabinet. Thanks for your time!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 9:47 pm
flower2 wrote:
I understand your need/preference for a table but would suggest you do an island/table- have lower cabinets for storage with a overhand on all 4 sides that you can tuck chairs under. This way you have a place for fam meals/kids and for doing hw/projects/helping.

I would also put meat sink by the window and get good corner cabinets- so many choices these days- lazy Susan, drawers, l-shaped pull outs

For dairy side, move the micro/stove further from the sink so y have a longer stretch of workable counter-space (leave only 1-2 feet of space on farther side of oven to where cabinets end)

Ok I’m starting to be convinced to move the sink to the window.. it’s just those darn corner cabinets - I have 2 now in my current set up and I absolutely detest them Sad.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok I’m starting to be convinced to move the sink to the window.. it’s just those darn corner cabinets - I have 2 now in my current set up and I absolutely detest them Sad.

You can totally do awesome built in lazy Susans in the corner cabinets, even with the sink there. I love the corner sinks and the big spaces of counter space in between.

erm

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:23 pm
If your milchig oven has a stove top, you are cutting your counter space. Either switch it with your counter or your sink. If it is near the pantry, leave a small space between the pantry and oven

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:51 pm
Is this the layout your kitchen man gave you?

sky

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:56 pm
I don’t see why an island is so important.
Personally I’d rather without.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:59 pm
sky wrote:
I don’t see why an island is so important.
Personally I’d rather without.

I absolutely love my island. Besides for the fact that it gives space for a 3rd sink. I have a sink and the rest is counter. Solid, big piece of counter. Love it!

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok, I need some more eyes on this new kitchen layout.

Put the broom closet in your laundry room instead. Make your fridge bigger - with a table for ten, sounds like you'd need it!

sky

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:04 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I absolutely love my island. Besides for the fact that it gives space for a 3rd sink. I have a sink and the rest is counter. Solid, big piece of counter. Love it!

I guess we’ll disagree then. But I don’t see it a requirement. My friend who I spend a ton of time in her kitchen has one. It breaks the flow of the kitchen. Your always walking around it to get something. It creates dump areas that attract stuff and needs to be cleaned always. The more time I spend with it the more I don’t enjoy it.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:05 pm
And why two ovens? Do a stovetop with drawers underneath and a microwave hood, and use one oven space for a double oven instead.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen