Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby name
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:50 am
I was wondering if it’s weird to call my son aryeh if his real Given name is yehuda. He’s named after my grandfather whose name was yehuda but he was only known as Leiby by everyone. I figured if my grandfather was called leiby why can’t my son be called aryeh which is the Hebrew version of leiby?

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:54 am
Yes but I also think it's weird that they called your grandfather Leiby ...they should have called him Yudi

However, I have a friend who calls her daughter Hindy "Ayala" and another who calls her daughter Baila "Bella"
So you do you and dont care about random strangers who think its weird

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 1:11 am
Isint leiby and aryeh the same thing?

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 1:15 am
I know an Aryeh Yehuda who is known as Guri - as in גור אריה יהודה.

It does make life complicated to be known by a name that's not the same as your given name.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 10:40 am
It is confusing and can be complicated to use another name to the child's actual name. But you do you. If you prefer that name, use it.
People often have a different legal name to their hebrew name, which they are usually know by, this isn't so different.
Only thing I would say that Leiby sounds like a nickname to me, whilst Aryeh sounds like a name and I would be very confused if you turned round and said his name is actually Yehuda. I would probably do a nickname of Yehuda, such as Hudi instead.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 10:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was wondering if it’s weird to call my son aryeh if his real Given name is yehuda. He’s named after my grandfather whose name was yehuda but he was only known as Leiby by everyone. I figured if my grandfather was called leiby why can’t my son be called aryeh which is the Hebrew version of leiby?

If that were me I would have added the name Aryeh, officially

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 10:44 am
I know a Berish who is called Dovi, and a Dov who is called Berish.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 11:50 am
Leiby in Hebrew is aryeh. Leiby is Yiddish for lion. I thought it’s same kind of nickname like saying aryeh which also means lion.
If my grandfather real name was yehuda and they called him with a Yiddish nickname why can’t I use the Hebrew nickname version?

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:20 pm
You CAN. You can do whatever you want.

But you asked if it's weird. And in my opinion - which you ASKED for - I think it is. But that's just my opinion. Maybe someone else doesn't think it's weird.

And if you're gonna get upset by the answers...don't ask. Just do what you want.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Leiby in Hebrew is aryeh. Leiby is Yiddish for lion. I thought it’s same kind of nickname like saying aryeh which also means lion.
If my grandfather real name was yehuda and they called him with a Yiddish nickname why can’t I use the Hebrew nickname version?

My grandad was Yehuda Aryeh. They called him Leiby. We just named for him. We call him Ari for the same reason. But it’s the name we gave him. (Aryeh)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:23 pm
I suggest asking a Rav if there is any hashkafic implication. I say this because there was a time that a friend needed a refuah, and her given name that we were davening for was Gittel (changed for privacy) but noone knew that because she was called Tova (the Hebrew version). Apparently this was considered some sort of halachic/hashkafic issue. I do not know in what capacity but I'm throwing it out there because you are asking.

That being said, I do not agree that it is weird because this has become a common thing to do (I know several people who call their children a different name than what was said at the bris/naming). Sometimes a completely different name but just sounds similar.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:27 pm
Yes weird. Name him yehuda aryeh

It's like, my daughter's name is dina, I'm going to call her ruchama.

I wonder if your grandfather was really yehuda leib or yehuda aryeh

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Isint leiby and aryeh the same thing?
I

Yes, but they aren't yehuda, and you are naming your child yehudah.
Neither is a teitsch of yehuda

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 4:07 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:

It was plain yehuda

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 4:07 pm

Why Ruchama?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 4:08 pm
I

Yes, but they aren't yehuda, and you are naming your child yehudah.
Neither is a teitsch of yehuda

You’re right but since he was anyways nicknamed I was wondering if I could do same using the Hebrew version or it’s weird

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 4:12 pm
I think it's weird because you are not giving him a Yiddish nickname for his hebrew name which is what your grandfather had. You are giving him a totally different Hebrew nickname for a Hebrew name that you gave him.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 4:14 pm
Funny, I love the name Yehuda; it implies strength, Yiddishe pride, leadership, kingship...

Of course, each to their own. If I were you, I'd ask a Rabbi. Since a Jewish name is linked with one's essence and divine energy.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 4:14 pm
Names are very personal and can be sensitive. I remember not wanting to give the name Miriam and nobody could understand why...
I know people who gave Tema and call Tamar and I know someone who who has 2 biblical names and is called Aviva. To me it’s no different than naming your child Avraham Yitzchok. Legally Abraham and called Yitzy. Do wtvr makes u happy ...

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:04 pm
Is this something you're already doing or something you're planning on doing?
You should know that it can create ketuba problems and if you call him Aryeh even though that's not a given name at his bris, Aryeh will most likely have to be on the ketuba in addition to Yehuda or Leib or whatever his name is
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names