Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby born with extra digit
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:59 am
My friend was telling me that she know someone born what’s called an extra digit which is a 6th finger. How common is it? Do you know ppl with such a thing?
Stressing out that my baby doesn’t have that

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 1:02 am
Are you being sarcastic? I’m not a professional but I assume w surgery it can be taken off.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 1:13 am
I hope you are being sarcastic, but it not very funny.
I know someone who was born with a 6th finger on one hand. It was removed when she was about a year and you can't see anything now.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 1:14 am
Usually those are removed very early. It’s a pretty basic surgery.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 1:38 am
I know a baby born with an extra finger. It's very simple to remove and when the kid grows up no one remembers it anymore.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 1:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My friend was telling me that she know someone born what’s called an extra digit which is a 6th finger. How common is it? Do you know ppl with such a thing?

Yes, this is a real condition called polydactyly. As others have said, it’s a relatively simple surgery that is usually done when the child is young. It occurs in about one out of every 500-1000 births.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 1:47 am
I also know someone who was born with six fingers was removed when he was a few month old

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 3:00 am
I know someone who was born with 6 toes on one of her feet. Funny thing is it wasn’t noticed til a a few days after she came home from the hospital. It was removed pretty early and the rest of her foot looks normal as if it was never there

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 4:13 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]My friend was telling me that she know someone born what’s called an extra digit which is a 6th finger. How common is it? Do you know ppl with such a thing?
Stressing out that my baby doesn’t have that[/quote

Are there suspicions of your baby having an extra digit or are you having anxiety because the concept exists ?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 4:29 am
My brother was born with 6 toes on each foot!! Not common at all, but what's the problem? It was taken off with a simple procedure when he was a baby. Better one more than one less Very Happy bH only that!

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 4:40 am
It's actually fairly common and tends to run I families. As a nicu nurse I've seen a fair few extra digits. It's really not a big deal and is removed once the baby is a bit older.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 10:51 am
I'm laughing at this thread and how OP is freaking out over an extra digit....my child was born missing some digits. That is alot worse than extra digits because there really isnt much to do. An extra digit is removed in a simple surgery. But either way my child is fine BH and very capable and independent and it doesn't affect her life at all

To the NICU nurse who says it runs in families...please do not make such generalizations. There are many kinds of limb deformities, and while some have a genetic component, many do not. Like my child's condition is not genetic at all, it is caused by a temporary obstruction of blood flow in the early weeks of pregnancy, which prevents the full development of the limb.

OP, I'm not sure why you are stressing out so much that your baby has it. Firstly you would see it on ultrasound. Secondly there are infinite things that can be wrong with a baby and it is pointless to worry that any of those may happen

pause

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 10:55 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
It's actually fairly common and tends to run I families. As a nicu nurse I've seen a fair few extra digits. It's really not a big deal and is removed once the baby is a bit older.

I'm not sure if it's accurate, but I remember hearing that the gene for 6 fingers is dominant which makes it's more obvious that it runs in families (as opposed to PP with missing fingers).

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 11:00 am
I knew a guy in college who had three fingers on each hand. It was sort of noticeable, but I think he was able to type properly and hold a knife and fork.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 11:07 am
Also, OP, really random thing to stress out about.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 11:12 am
OP, I bentch you that if your baby does have an extra finger or toe, that this be the worst thing you ever have to deal with.

Are you very anxious with this pregnancy, to where people are telling you that you are being unreasonable? You might want to talk to your doctor. There are medications for this, that are safe to take during pregnancy. You being stressed out all the time is not good for the baby!

B'sha'a Tova, only good news.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 11:17 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I'm laughing at this thread and how OP is freaking out over an extra digit....my child was born missing some digits. That is alot worse than extra digits because there really isnt much to do. An extra digit is removed in a simple surgery. But either way my child is fine BH and very capable and independent and it doesn't affect her life at all

To the NICU nurse who says it runs in families...please do not make such generalizations. There are many kinds of limb deformities, and while some have a genetic component, many do not. Like my child's condition is not genetic at all, it is caused by a temporary obstruction of blood flow in the early weeks of pregnancy, which prevents the full development of the limb.

OP, I'm not sure why you are stressing out so much that your baby has it. Firstly you would see it on ultrasound. Secondly there are infinite things that can be wrong with a baby and it is pointless to worry that any of those may happen

Does your child have Poland Syndrome? If yes, can you please pm me.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OP - for future reference: fingers and toes are digits.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:00 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Does your child have Poland Syndrome? If yes, can you please pm me.

No my child does not have any syndromes BH. It is just an isolated unilateral limb deformity that is not due to any syndrome/genetic cause. It is because of a constriction of blood flow during the early weeks of gestation which prevents the full development of the limb.

I do have a lot of experience with hand deformities because of this, so I can still PM you if you want

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:16 pm
Anne Boleyn had six fingers.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics