Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Changing careers

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 11:52 am
Iy"H I'm making aliyah and I have been glancing at jobs but not as seriously because I still have months to go. I've heard of people who made aliyah and decided to change their careers and now they love what they do. So I have kids in elementary school and my husband most likely will be on a teacher salary, so I'll need to work full time and find a job that pays decent. I have a BA in Nutrition, working at a hospital, but I'm not registered dietitian. I did find out that in Israel I'd have to go through lottery to get into a one year unpaid internship and take the exam, I'm not sure I want to do that. I'm already in my mid 30s. I feel like I want a change. I do like to still focus on nutrition and health, I have basic computer skills/office skills. I liked helping people in the hospital, but I stopped once my kids were babies because the full time hours were too much for me. So even though my kids are older now, I need a flexible job that will enable me also to work at home if needed. I'm still not so sure what I'm looking for, but if any of you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear. I'd also love to hear if any of you did change careers and had a good experience in Israel. Thank you!!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:06 pm
How wonderful that you're making aliyah!

I would say that most olim (self included) end up working in a new field. I can't give you advice for your line of work, because it's totally different from mine, but I know that a number of people with health care backgrounds end up coaching and giving courses in healthy living.

As long as you have enthusiasm, flexibility and humility, you can go far. Especially now, when there's so much going on virtually.

My experience was that my kids really needed me that first year, and doing even basic errands took me longer than usual, until I learned my way around. If you can swing it financially, try to give yourself a few months before entering the work force.

And by the way - you are not at all too old for retraining, if that's what you want to do.

Behatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions