Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Instagram feud cosmopolitan cover
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:56 am
would love to see the (so called) mid size models start becoming the norm gracing magazine covers. something like a size 8-14 range. in my humble opinion, neither size 000-0 nor very obese is healthy. of course there are and will be exceptions, and people that are overweight can most definitely be beautiful. but why the need to go from a stick thin photo-shopped image to obese.

(and can I say that majority of the population will fit into the mid size range?)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:03 am
Cosmopolitan magazine is mostly known for its absurd relations tips and bad takes on other stuff. They once tweeted this:

about a woman who had cancer.

Criticizing Cosmopolitan for a bad headline or cover is like criticizing a pig's cleanliness. You shouldn't be shocked because you should never have had any expectations of normalcy.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:15 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
PROOF that having what you call "extra fat" is not healthy?
There is none.
There is bias.
By laypeople and some doctors.
But no proof.
Learning that changes everything.
Bodies come in all different shapes and sizes.

Do you know any obese 80-100 year olds.

Einikel

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:26 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
would love to see the (so called) mid size models start becoming the norm gracing magazine covers. something like a size 8-14 range. in my humble opinion, neither size 000-0 nor very obese is healthy. of course there are and will be exceptions, and people that are overweight can most definitely be beautiful. but why the need to go from a stick thin photo-shopped image to obese.

(and can I say that majority of the population will fit into the mid size range?)

I agree according to the BMI calculator I’m overweight but I’m a size 8-10 and I think I look really nice. I’ve been thinner but I’m perfectly happy with the way I am now and am in a better place emotionally than whe I was a size 4.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:32 am
While some people are "naturally thin," we know that models often use unnatural means to be thin. Some eat tissues, or starve themselves for days on end.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/art.....ogue.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/fe......html

But Piers Morgan -- no skinny mini himself -- doesn't call them out as unhealthy.

No. He picks the woman who is actually shown moving, exercising, honoring her body.

Doctors are also unable to see past weight. How many people die not because they're overweight, but because doctors refuse to look past their weight. Anecdotally, I worked for a time with a lovely man we called "Chief." Chief was probably in his 60s, with a big Santa belly. Every time he sought medical help for his increasing issues, the doctors dismissed him. If you'd just lose some weight, eat less. It was a 20+-pound tumor that finally killed him. And that's far from a unique story.

It also makes overweight people less likely to seek medical attention.

Get up. Move. Eat fruits and vegetables and whole grains and lean proteins. All of them. And shut up about anyone else's body.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:35 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Actually, I know plenty. Most of my family has lived well into their 90s, all very overweight and obese. Admittedly, none of my obese relatives were morbidly obese, but they were clinically obese.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:35 am
SixOfWands wrote:
While some people are "naturally thin," we know that models often use unnatural means to be thin. Some eat tissues, or starve themselves for days on end.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/art.....ogue.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/fe......html

But Piers Morgan -- no skinny mini himself -- doesn't call them out as unhealthy.

No. He picks the woman who is actually shown moving, exercising, honoring her body.

Doctors are also unable to see past weight. How many people die not because they're overweight, but because doctors refuse to look past their weight. Anecdotally, I worked for a time with a lovely man we called "Chief." Chief was probably in his 60s, with a big Santa belly. Every time he sought medical help for his increasing issues, the doctors dismissed him. If you'd just lose some weight, eat less. It was a 20+-pound tumor that finally killed him. And that's far from a unique story.

It also makes overweight people less likely to seek medical attention.

Get up. Move. Eat fruits and vegetables and whole grains and lean proteins. All of them. And shut up about anyone else's body.

The 20 lb tumor would’ve been obvious if he didn’t have a “Santa belly” 🙄

No ones talking about 15-20 lbs overweight. We are talking about obese and morbidly obese people. Including those on this thread who are “always” moving, eat so “healthy” and “exercise” everyday but are 250lbs. I’m sorry but either you have an health issue preventing you from losing weight or you are lying to yourselves.
I said it. Now blast me.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:58 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:

No ones talking about 15-20 lbs overweight. We are talking about obese and morbidly obese people. Including those on this thread who are “always” moving, eat so “healthy” and “exercise” everyday but are 250lbs. I’m sorry but either you have an health issue preventing you from losing weight or you are lying to yourselves.
I said it. Now blast me.

No, the tumor would have been obvious if the doctor had examined his patient. Most of the Santa belly WAS tumor, of course, but you're too busy fat shaming to realize that.

And you do realize how offensive you are, given the fact that you're too ashamed to post using the fake name you use here.

The older you are, the more difficult it is to lose weight. But the only one talking about that is you.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 1:28 pm
When obese people are advised to lose weight, that advice usually doesn't come with any support or help in doing so.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 1:51 pm

I said it. Now blast me.

I am one of the women you are describing. I weigh in at 250 and I am 5’10” .
I exercise 5 days a week with a trainer ( and am called the ox) by all my skinnier training partners who can’t hold a candle to my stamina etc. I never feel sluggish or lazy and my numbers are great (I just got a great life ins rate so I know)
I eat mostly healthy, and know that if I want to lose weight I need to be very extreme with my eating, and I’m not always ready for it.

I am very bothered by my looks ( although I have a decent figure with a nice waist) and I sometimes wonder if in a few years from now I will regret not having done weight loss surgery.

But looking around me, most people after weight loss surgery are not at optimal health at all (maybe better than before, but I don’t have issues now) and I Wonder if doing the surgery will take a fit fat person into a unhealthy skinny one.......

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 2:05 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Yes. Quite a few.
My grandfather was obese all his life but lived a healthy lifestyle and passed away suddenly at age 96. He was healthy and living alone, only had health issues associated with age.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 2:56 pm
I also sometimes see those friends of mine with great figures, but they can’t last through the day without their coffee or other boosts, and fall apart when they fast.

Or can’t pick up anything too heavy, or work too hard in general, and am wondering if that’s better or healthier.....

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 3:03 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Portraying obese women exercising is a good thing.

💯.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 3:13 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I also sometimes see those friends of mine with great figures, but they can’t last through the day without their coffee or other boosts, and fall apart when they fast.

Or can’t pick up anything too heavy, or work too hard in general, and am wondering if that’s better or healthier.....

Haha that’s me to be honest!

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 3:23 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

I'll bite on this comment. I'm naturally skinny and strong (no work on my part so I can't say that it's to my credit) but I don't drink coffee and have plenty of energy even when fasting bh. I don't think this is a fact. There are people who are thin and unhealthy just like those who are heavy and unhealthy. Size isn't proof of anything!
However I'm pretty sure statistically extremely heavy people are more likely to be unhealthy, but individually there are outliers in every category.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 3:30 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I'll bite on this comment. I'm naturally skinny and strong (no work on my part so I can't say that it's to my credit) but I don't drink coffee and have plenty of energy even when fasting bh. I don't think this is a fact. There are people who are thin and unhealthy just like those who are heavy and unhealthy. Size isn't proof of anything!
However I'm pretty sure statistically extremely heavy people are more likely to be unhealthy, but individually there are outliers in every category.

True, I also know skinny strong people ( though most who are strong do do some type of exercise).
But those type that feel faint if they missed a feeding etc...are usually the ones envied because they can eat what they want...

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 3:32 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
💯.

Absolutely. The problem was the caption said “this is healthy”

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 3:34 pm
Absolutely. The problem was the caption said “this is healthy”

I guess as in doing exercise...even if your obese...Smile

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 3:43 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

My grandmother was very heavy, most of her life, smoked three packs a day, and lived to her 90s.

God runs the world.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 3:50 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Yes my grandmother is in her 90s, is 5,2 and weighs about 190 pounds. She is healthy and active knh and doesn’t eat a lot at all.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise