Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ear pain for a long period - rebbe suggestion

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:03 am
Today we called a rebbe and he said to put shemen zayis in the ear and the pain will iyh go away.

So, my husband didn’t exactly ask directions but I’m thinking what kind of shemen zayis goes in the ear and Will it irritate it more?

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:11 am
My mother did that for me when I was a kid and I've done it for my kids. Make sure the olive oil is comfortable body temperature.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:11 am
My mother tried that on me and I felt so uncomfortable for days after. It did not help. Having oil in your ear isn’t very comfortable.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:15 am
Please go to an ENT doctor and get it looked at. You don’t want to introduce foreign substances into the ear canal, you could end up damaging the child’s hearing ch”v.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:18 am
What?? You have ear pain- call the doctor not the rebbe!

moonstone

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:19 am
Unless your rebbe is also a doctor, why are you asking him for medical advice? The only medical advice he should be giving you is to take your child to a doctor. Anything else is irresponsible of him to suggest. Ear pain that has lasted a long time is probably not going to be cured with olive oil. It could be an ear infection. Take your child to a doctor.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:20 am
moonstone wrote:
Unless your rebbe is also a doctor, why are you asking him for medical advice? The only medical advice he should be giving you is to take your child to a doctor. Anything else is irresponsible of him to suggest. Ear pain that has lasted a long time is probably not going to be cured with olive oil. It could be an ear infection. Take your child to a doctor.

SO MUCH THIS. Rabbonim and amazing and we would be lost with out them. But unless they are also medical doctors, they should not be giving medical advice. The FIRST thing my rav asks me when I ask any medical question (like fasting when pregnant) is "what did your dr say?".

A known segulah for ear pain is to see your doctor and ask what the issue is. Sometimes you may need to further your hushtadlus and see an ENT if your regular doctor cant get to the bottom of the issue.

My husband had extremely severe pain in his ear. So bad that he went to urgent care because his dr was closed. Then he went to his dr - they both missed the issue and gave him antibiotics which made it all worse. He went to the ENT who saw the real issue was yeast - ie, swimmers ear, most likely caused by the dirty mikvah water. They did a special cleaning and it was BH gone. No meds needed.

Please do not put olive oil in your ear!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:23 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
What?? You have ear pain- call the doctor not the rebbe!

Ladies! I’m not stupid!! Perhaps I’ve seen the dr six times. Given antibiotics and been to the ENT.
I obviously didn’t stupidly give the oil to my baby lest it affect the area more. I’m asking if anyone had similar situation. ✌🏻

tweety1

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:36 am
Warm olive oil is an old remedy. Nothing new. WARM not hot. Supposed to relieve pain

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ladies! I’m not stupid!! Perhaps I’ve seen the dr six times. Given antibiotics and been to the ENT.
I obviously didn’t stupidly give the oil to my baby lest it affect the area more. I’m asking if anyone had similar situation. ✌🏻

K good to hear!
problem is there are people out there who would give the oil to the baby without having her see a doctor first so we kind of have to jump to conclusions

naomi2

I've put garlic oil drops in my babies ears for pain. You can find it in a health food store and it is specifically for use in ears. It may even be made with olive oil. It's the garlic though that has the properties to fight an ear infection so I'm not sure why the rebbe just recommended the oil part.

tweety1

As a side note op, next time don't write your rebbe, write somebody told you. I personally don't think you did anything wrong being that you already went to a Dr and an ENT. But the bashing you'll get here cuz you asked a rebbe won't stop.

tweety1

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:39 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
K good to hear!
problem is there are people out there who would give the oil to the baby without having her see a doctor first so we kind of have to jump to conclusions

You don't have to anything. Perhaps think it's her baby it's her decision.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:53 am
Refuah shelemah. I have been to ear gehenom with my child. It’s really hard. Sending love.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:56 am
Could it be tooth related?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:03 am
Garlic oil is definitely a thing.
For anyone whose child is on frequent antibiotics for ear infections, please use acidopholus too.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:20 am
I’ve done garlic oil, warm olive oil and at times a clove if garlic taped to the ear. They each help ease the pain. It’s dangerous though to put hot olive oil in . It needs to be warm , not hot.
Take your child to the dentist to rule out any tooth or jaw issues that may be causing the pain.

sim

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:52 am
My dd had constant ear infections that didn't go away with antibiotics. We finally went to an allergist/immunologist who found a handful of allergies that were causing constant rhinitis. I took her off those two foods and, voila, ear infections went away and never came back.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 10:52 am
tweety1 wrote:
You don't have to anything. Perhaps think it's her baby it's her decision.

Thx! For the record. We are not chassidish at all. Writing the word rebbe means acknowledging that at times we seek further assistance and a bracha is just what is putting us at ease now together with bracha wisdom/ advise.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 1:41 pm
The urgent care dr (after checking that there was no ear infection) did recommend warm oil in the ear.
Regular dr said it’s a common problem while molars come in and just give nightly Motrin.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics