Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Dd refusing to have a bowel movement

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:11 pm
She is perfectly toilet trained for 2 weeks. Doesn’t wet her pants anymore, will ask to go to the bathroom when she needs to but will absolutely not have a bowel movement. It seems that she’s afraid. Last week, after many days of not having a bm I ended up using a suppository on her and Bh she had a bm. But it’s not working now. She hasn’t had a bm in a week. And a suppository is not doing it’s job. She’s in agony. Frustrated and all.
Please help...
Anonymous because I have tried seeking advice irl already from half the world.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:35 pm
It is very important that she has a bowel movement ASAP so that she doesn’t enter a vicious cycle of fear of pooping which leads to actual comstipation and pain. I would stay away from suppositories. Try first a high dose of miralax, check dose wirh your doc. If that doesn’t work an enema is very effective and not as painful as suppository laxatives. Speaking from experience. Don’t be scared of enemas , super effective and not a big deal at all.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:51 pm
DD was the same way. She was on miralax and had a couple of enema's done before she got the hang of it.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 10:55 am
Lots of fibre

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:05 am
I put DD on the toilet, and pulled up a chair next to her. I had a big stack of books with me, and there is nothing in the world she liked more than to have me read to her. I read and read and read and then we heard a "PLOP!" and her eyes went Surprised but I ignored it and kept on reading like nothing had happened. She finished going, I finished the book, cleaned her up, and then we had stickers and treats and a big happy dance.

All it took was for me to have the patience to sit there and distract her until she forgot she was on the toilet, and her body relaxed.

I realize that if you have a baby and older kids, or only one bathroom in the house, this may not be possible for you.

The other thing I did for DD, is put a few tablespoons of prune juice in with her regular juice once a day. That kept her regular, and I didn't end up needing anything from the pharmacy. It was her pediatrician's idea to try that first, and it worked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training