Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 2.5 year old is asking to nurse
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:18 pm
I recently had a baby and my 2.5 year old has asked a few times to nurse since he started seeing me do it. How do I respond?

( I understand where it’s coming from and have tried giving him loads of attention whenever I can. )

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:20 pm
“Sweetie, nursing is for Baby! 2.5yo’s trucks and dinosaurs are for 2.5yo! Right we love playing with our big-boy toys? And Baby doesn’t play with our big-boy toys. Only 2.5yo. And this is for Baby.”

hodeez

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:25 pm
Cover yourself when you nurse?

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:27 pm
Tell 2.5 the story of when he/she was a baby and also had mommy’s milkie or whatever you call it. Stretch the story out and finish off that Now you’re a big boy/ girl and eat/drink big girl/boy food.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:29 pm
My mom had it with one of her toddlers, she let him try and he was disgusted by the taste and that was the end of it. My mom told him that only babies like the taste.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 09 2021, 11:44 pm
hodeez wrote:
Cover yourself when you nurse?

I do as best as I can.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:03 am
I would offer them some hand expressed into a cup to taste. Likely they wouldn’t like it. If they do, and you don’t minding giving them, what’s the problem?
I think there are halachik issues with them nursing directly if they’ve had a break from when they stopped.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:09 am
Offer him a hug? It probably won't go any deeper than that

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:13 am
My 7 year old still asked me when she saw me nursing. She had nursed (infrequently) until 4 and still loves the taste. I have occasionally given her some pumped milk. Why not?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:54 am
Like other ppl said, I always gave them at that age. Some kids were weirded out before they tasted it. Others didn't like the taste. But it always solved the problem.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:26 am
Since my new baby was born, I've been trying to get my 1.5 year old to nurse again, and he refuses!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:09 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Since my new baby was born, I've been trying to get my 1.5 year old to nurse again, and he refuses!

Just curious why you are trying to get your kid to nurse? Especially if they already made it clear they don't want to?
I have a 1.5 year old and to me it would just be SO odd to start nursing her again. What age was your child when you stopped nursing them?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:39 pm
When I had my baby my then 2 year old would ask to pretend to nurse and she would lay there in nursing position (over of my shirt). Yup it was kind of weird but it made her happy so I went with it!

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:08 am
Funny. My 2 year old is TERRIFIED every time I nurse my newborn. And I nursed til dc was 15 months old!

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:08 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I would offer them some hand expressed into a cup to taste. Likely they wouldn’t like it. If they do, and you don’t minding giving them, what’s the problem?
I think there are halachik issues with them nursing directly if they’ve had a break from when they stopped.

I did this and it backfired.

banana123

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:09 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:

The halachic issues start after they turn 2. So 2.5 is a bit old, but up to 24 months is fine.

banana123

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:10 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

Hugs.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:36 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

LOL I've been tempted when I had a weaned 1/5 yo! Nothing as quick to relieve engorgement than a good toddler!

I tandem nurse with this one, so my 2.5 yo still does nurse for real periodically (1-3x per day for about 10 seconds each time), but I have "fake nursed" a weaned child.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:12 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
My 7 year old still asked me when she saw me nursing. She had nursed (infrequently) until 4 and still loves the taste. I have occasionally given her some pumped milk. Why not?

I heard mothers milk is not kosher except gor babies.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:14 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
“Sweetie, nursing is for Baby! 2.5yo’s trucks and dinosaurs are for 2.5yo! Right we love playing with our big-boy toys? And Baby doesn’t play with our big-boy toys. Only 2.5yo. And this is for Baby.”

toy dinosaurs for a frum child???
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics