Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Which type of cleaning help would you prefer?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:36 am
**trigger warning if u don’t have/like/want help**

Background: dh and I work very very full time. I work day time and evenings. Dh has a lot going on, a commute, long day, fitting in davening and learning etc. the long term goal is that hopefully I can cut back but dh needs time to build himself up where he is now before I can do that.
After my last baby (little over a year ago) I was having a hard time juggling my life and we made the decision to get live in help. She watches the baby during the day, she cleans when the baby is napping and in the evening after dinner time. In the beginning I loved the arrangement, she also listening out for the baby while I worked in the evening which I bh no longer need cuz she sleeps reliably.
The main things I like about this arrangement are - erev Shabbos she’s available whenever I need her. 4:00 Shabbos or 8:00 Shabbos, I don’t feel panicked bec she’ll clean up whenever I need her. Laundry- she’s great with laundry. Very on top of it, everything gets washed, hung or dry and put away within a day or 2 of being worn. And the round the clock straitening up- she makes the beds daily and clears the table and counters after breakfast and dinner. Whenever someone walks into the house, it has an overall clean look. When I come up from work in the evening, not having to deal with the dinner mess (this is a big one as I’m usually exhausted then)
No getting out with the baby in the mornings ..

What I don’t like about this arrangement. She doesn’t see the dirt. Nothing ever gets scrubbed, things get pushed around and put into piles, toys get put into the wrong bins, scum builds up in the tubs, dust accumulated on surfaces that aren’t used etc...

I have the option now to get rid of her and send my baby out. I would get a reg cleaning lady and my house with problably get a lot more TLC. The problem is the cleaning help has really gone up in price and I’m not paying my live in help a lot. With the cost of babysitting I’ll probably get 3-4 hours cleaning help a day for the same price I’m paying now. A designated cleaner will likely be better at cleaning that what I have now, but am I fooling myself to think that I’ll happier? I find myself scrubbing on motzai Shabbos and sundays when my lady is out to compensate for the lack of real cleaning all week long. Help me with some perspective. Thanks!!!

tichellady

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:02 pm
I would keep the person you have now. She sounds overall good. You can also talk to her about doing a deeper clean or you can hire a company to do a deep clean once a month. I find that even a good cleaners work doesn’t last very long when there are little ones in the house and having a house that looks nice is priceless.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:05 pm
Keep her it sounds like you have an amazing arrangement going. Hire somebody once a month to clean the places that get very dirty.

trixx

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:07 pm
1. Which option is better for baby? Is baby old enough for more stimulation at a playgroup
2. Will she ask for a raise if prices are going up?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:08 pm
Are you able to hire a separate cleaning woman to come clean your house for 3-4 hours a week (once a week) and keep the live in? That would be my ideal situation.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:11 pm
You can make a schedule for her. Like that she knows she should do each task very well once a week and hopefully it will be cleaner so you don't have to pick up the slack. Example -
Monday organize the playroom
Tuesday wash the bathrooms really well
Wednesday the kitchen including oven and fridge
Thursday dust and vacuum

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:11 pm
Keep the lady you have now. Ask her if a schedule can be made where she cleans once thing a day. Bathtub one day. Toilet one day. Corner mouldings in kitchen one day. Etc. Buy her products that make the scrubbing easier if this isn't her forte. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:14 pm
trixx wrote:
1. Which option is better for baby? Is baby old enough for more stimulation at a playgroup
2. Will she ask for a raise if prices are going up?

Baby is 14 mo. Doesn’t really need a group yet but we’re probably getting close to that point. I think health wise being home is probably a lot better. Not having the in and out of the car is a huge convenience. Also I’d have to take baby with me to the bus stop etc..
she probably will not ask for a raise because live in help is always cheaper and she’s never asked for anything regarding money. I’ll probably offer her $25 raise a week if I keep her ...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:16 pm
Lavender and ramom thanks - I’ve actually tried this more than once. I’ve just come to realize, it’s not her strength. She cleans like she’s cares for the baby. Sooooo slow and soft. She doesn’t have that in her ...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:23 pm
Choc and tichel Lady, do u know of such a thing in Lkwd? I’ve seen ads and they want $25 an hr. For that price, do they get the walls, the baseboards etc? I feel like ever since I’ve had live in help it feels like my house is aging. I painted shortly before she came and now the walls look all scruffed. I’m being particular but it bothers me ..

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:25 pm
Maybe once a month hire a cleaning service for deep cleaning
It’s very hard to find someone reliable you can trust so I think you should stick with what you have.
You probably won’t have your home looking nice and neat on a regular basis if you let this lady go. That would be something very important to me.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Choc and tichel Lady, do u know of such a thing in Lkwd? I’ve seen ads and they want $25 an hr. For that price, do they get the walls, the baseboards etc? I feel like ever since I’ve had live in help it feels like my house is aging. I painted shortly before she came and now the walls look all scruffed. I’m being particular but it bothers me ..

Let it go for now. After you send your baby out (maybe in September) tell her you that you are giving her other responsibilities during the day.

silverlining3

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:33 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Are you able to hire a separate cleaning woman to come clean your house for 3-4 hours a week (once a week) and keep the live in? That would be my ideal situation.

This would be my preference too.

Op, you seem to really like the live in you have now and the arrangements, but somewhat annoyed that cleaning isn't her skill. So when she's out on Sunday, hire a cleaning lady for a few hours.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:34 pm
I would prioritize that she is good with the baby. And other things you mentioned. Priceless.
would keep her
would get deep cleaning crew once a month as others said

not apples to apples if you make a change and go to come and go cleaning woman

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Instaclean in Lakewood sends cleaning ladies for 22/hour. You tell the lady what she should do

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 1:03 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Instaclean in Lakewood sends cleaning ladies for 22/hour. You tell the lady what she should do

I think these are regular cleaning ladies. Op should use a cleaning service. They send 2-3 people at a time with cleaning supplies and go through the whole house in a few hours. They have a system for going through each room in a home.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 1:29 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I think these are regular cleaning ladies. Op should use a cleaning service. They send 2-3 people at a time with cleaning supplies and go through the whole house in a few hours. They have a system for going through each room in a home.

Right. I’m thinking 1 lady for a few hours can’t make much of a diff. A deep cleaning once a month would be amazing. Anyone have any numbers?

ddmom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 1:45 pm
If you get regular cleaning help you will have to spend on average 2h per day doing upkeep and maintenance!
My advice, since you have someone you like that takes good care of your baby, spend that time doing the deep cleaning yourself (unless you find someone that can comes once a week to do it!) and keep her for the upkeep!
Make a big list of what needs to be done and check off whatever she does and see what's left to be done. See which one you can do and who you can hire for the rest.

ora_43

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:19 pm
If you expect her to clean, pay her cleaning rates. Meaning like - can you offer her $12/hour for babysitting (or whatever her rate is) and then $22/hour for 1-2 hours a day of deep cleaning?

Honestly, I don't think anyone would be motivated to do deep cleaning work for way less than what the average cleaner is paid. Even if it's one of their strengths.

If you're sure she just can't handle it, even for extra pay, then I would say:

1. current help + once a week deep clean is best, if that's an option

2. current help alone, if it isn't.

Deep cleaning is no fun but it's faster than all the stuff she's doing. Laundry + cooking + caring for baby + basic cleaning = like 10 hours of work a day, minimum. Deep cleaning? 1 hour a day is probably more than enough.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:27 pm
Keep what you have now no question. No garauntees a cleaning lady would be better at seeing the dirt and a good laundry system is already a huge plus. Access to help whenever you need it is also priceless. And someone who knows and loves your baby already is worth everything
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry