Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shloime Zionce and Peter Santanello series on Chassidim
  Previous  1  2  3   17  18  19  Next

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:49 pm
I sent it to my mother lol. She didn’t respond yet .... Smile

She watched all the negative stuff. Like unorthodox etc.... but she says “at least you respect god”

I hope this series really gives her a different perspective.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:25 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I've watched them all too.

I don't really understand why everyone thinks it's fake to have a psak that a [gentile] can video for his own desires. There's no issue being on camera. Causing a camera to go on is an issue, and only allowed if it's a psik reisha d'lo nicha lei like a security camera.
But if he's choosing what to film and they're not causing him to do the recording, what's the issue?

you are right, otherwise one wouldn‘t be able to go anywhere on Shabat, even in front of the Kotel there are plenty of tourists with a camera. I imagine in NY its the same.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:35 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I've watched them all too.

I don't really understand why everyone thinks it's fake to have a psak that a [gentile] can video for his own desires. There's no issue being on camera. Causing a camera to go on is an issue, and only allowed if it's a psik reisha d'lo nicha lei like a security camera.
But if he's choosing what to film and they're not causing him to do the recording, what's the issue?

My DH says it's not so simple. But he saw that they did ask rabbanim so they were obviously told they could in this specific situation. But it's definitely a question for a Rav about the details of what and why is going on. It's not so pashut.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:42 am
Shterny and her husband are amazing people in their own right.... There was a beautiful article all about the organisation she started called My Extended Family in the Ami magazine a couple of weeks ago....
The house this Shabbos episode was filmed in is their family home, she comes from a Lubavitch family (hence the picture of the Rebbe) and her husband Klausenberg/Breslov. I imagine Shloime Zionce and his wife were invited as guests, together with Peter, and I imagine the other people round the table too......
I was emotional watching this episode, it looked so warm and inviting and fun, and the kids were just being kids, being allowed to let off steam and have fun playing with their friends/cousins....

Duggie

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:57 am
I love the series. I can't get enough of them. I think Peter is amazing and Shloimy is an interesting guy. There was an ocean of nuance that is too hard to understand for an outside and kudos to Peter for jumping in. a lot of it was actually pretty eye opening for me as well

By the way, he was in an incredibly beautiful and wealthy home. I wonder if he realized it was extremely affluent or if he thinks this is part of chassidim.

I thought it was cool how Peter made the connection between the European culture and attitudes he encountered and the chassidim living in NY.

it's cool!

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:09 am
I love that he showed the kids being kids! They played so well with each other and it was refreshing to see normal family life from an outsider's perspective in this age when everything has to look perfect on social media.

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:18 am
I love the series!!

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:23 am
QueensMama wrote:
Those parenta are real people that will probably read this thread. Kids will be kids. You are not a kid, so I expect more from you...like deleting your nasty posts.

BTW I deleted them but I'm not sure it's wrong. The family went public which opens them up to public compliments but also criticism. They obviously made a tremendous Kiddush Hashem, but showing their home, themselves, their children means they signed up for people making comments they may not like. I'm sure they are aware some people may love their furniture and some people may hate it; some people may think it's great they have a [cleaner] and some may say it's not right for many reasons; and yes some people may comment how they love the kids jumping on the couch and others may say not. This is what happens when you publicize yourself.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:47 am
Smokey, you dont need to justify your comment. You can voice your opinion, but it doesn't need to be nasty.

I feel bad for your kids, if you think that kids can't act like kids. Peter said he loved the light atmosphere.

My house looks just like that at a meal (though in a smaller house) my little ones make a mess, while the older ones, shmooz, laugh, and sing.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:52 am
thanks for bringing this to my attention look forward to seeing it!

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:56 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Remind me what the article is about. And these are shloimy zionce in laws?

Im really loving this series.

The article was in the December 23rd edition of Ami .. its is about an organization Shterny founded. They are a haven for children of single parent homes. It has now expanded to many Jewish neighborhoods. Shterny is Chabd, her husband is a Klausenburg chasid. Together they do great things for klal yisroel..
Shloime was their guest for shabbos. They are not his in laws.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:30 am
I'm still watching it but I gotta say Peter looked like he had a bit of a shabbos glow to him. It was sweet.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:02 am
OMG, this is so cool. Just started watching. Saw Shloimy's wife. I know her from when we were both kids!!! I always love reading Shloimy's articles in the Ami and never put two and two together. I recently met her and we spoke a bit but I guess mentioning who her husband is didn't come up...

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:06 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
The article was in the December 23rd edition of Ami .. its is about an organization Shterny founded. They are a haven for children of single parent homes. It has now expanded to many Jewish neighborhoods. Shterny is Chabd, her husband is a Klausenburg chasid. Together they do great things for klal yisroel..
Shloime was their guest for shabbos. They are not his in laws.

I believe he identifies as Breslov.
He comes from a Klausenberg family.
Shterny is Chabad.
It was an entertaining watch though none of these participants in the series represent mainstream Chasidish people, IMO.
I consider Breslov and Chabad in a league of their own, though others may disagree.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:19 am
Right they’re not the real chasidish type, the one with white tichels and aprons yknow. But I enjoyed it very much. Peter and shloime are both very open minded and cool guys. And who is shloime’s wife? Does he introduce her?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:24 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Right they’re not the real chasidish type, the one with white tichels and aprons yknow. But I enjoyed it very much. Peter and shloime are both very open minded and cool guys. And who is shloime’s wife? Does he introduce her?

Shlomie introduces his wife Mushky in the video before shabbos starts. You see her later lighting shabbos candles with their young daughter.

This was a beautiful video

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:29 am
Oh. Yeah it’s a beautiful video, gotta watch it again. And Peter looked so handsome and ready for shabbos in his suit.. I love all of peter’s vids.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:30 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

The wives are typical Lubavitch, dressed the way Lubavitch women usually dress. Their husbands are not the typical chassidim if they married their wives. Nothing against them, just fact. Then again, typical chassidim wouldn't let Peter in, wouldn't know how to explain things to a non-Jew, and wouldn't be so open and friendly.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:44 am
I really enjoyed it. Beautiful family b"ah.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:58 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
The wives are typical Lubavitch, dressed the way Lubavitch women usually dress. Their husbands are not the typical chassidim if they married their wives. Nothing against them, just fact. Then again, typical chassidim wouldn't let Peter in, wouldn't know how to explain things to a non-Jew, and wouldn't be so open and friendly.

Not true. There are all types. Many would.

I was just surprised that Shterny explained being dressed up as part of her creativity/fashion, rather than dressing up for the Shabbos Queen..And also that we promote dressing up at home for the husbands. Looking your best does not have to breach on modesty.
Page 2 of 19   Previous  1  2  3   17  18  19  Next Recent Topics