Home

Shloime Zionce and Peter Santanello series on Chassidim
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Teal
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:44 am
We don't invite guest on a regular basis but from time to time (like once every 2-3 years we find a need. And then we try to encourage guest to join in zemeiros be part of mizimon....wash before benching but we want our guest to feel comfortable we once had a family member over wife said in there very chasidish williamsburg house they don't sing husband has a low voice he can't carry a tune, they had 3 young kids oldest was 6. Very little Torah too.)
In one part of the video I see a little girl showing somone or the camera her weekly pictures. It's possible with guest or non frum guest things were q bit different. It could be if they had just lip a there conversation would be in yiddish, a rabbi there more divrei torah like others say who cares point is these people look frum were streimal, long pesos. Dressed for the most part like frum jews. We are all grouped together anyways so let them see there are friendly jews in the world. Its better this way. If you won't talk to Peter let the non jews think that's your problem and not a jewish crazy thing to cause anti semetism
Back to top

amother




Seashell
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:45 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Lol. My husband shaves and I wear a nice long wig. I kind of look similar to shternie in the video so no, there's no hate here from me. Just having a discussion.

The chassidish way always was to be close to a Rebbe and follow in his ways. And follow his advice and guidelines. A lot of chilled chassidim these days just wear the shtreimel and like to be part of the community they grew up in but don't have connection to a Rebbe or mentor. So no, these are not the mainstream chassidim.

The typical chossid will call up his Rebbe or go to his tisch. Will sometimes travel from abroad to be there yomim toivim.


The connection of anyone in this video or lack of a connection to a Rebbe seems to be outside the scope of what was covered.
Back to top

mochamix18




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:45 am
cbsp wrote:
She posted about it on LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts.....-gGks


That’s beautiful, thank you for sharing that.
Back to top

amother




Puce
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:51 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Lol. My husband shaves and I wear a nice long wig. I kind of look similar to shternie in the video so no, there's no hate here from me. Just having a discussion.

The chassidish way always was to be close to a Rebbe and follow in his ways. And follow his advice and guidelines. A lot of chilled chassidim these days just wear the shtreimel and like to be part of the community they grew up in but don't have connection to a Rebbe or mentor. So no, these are not the mainstream chassidim.

The typical chossid will call up his Rebbe or go to his tisch. Will sometimes travel from abroad to be there yomim toivim.


So I'm confused. Are you Chassidish or not?
Back to top

amother




Silver
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:53 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Men who shave cannot be buried in many bais hachaims, like women who do not shave on the opposite end.

Whaaat
Who needs enemies when we have ourselves!!!
Back to top

amother




cornflower
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:59 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
So I'm confused. Are you Chassidish or not?


I didn't claim to be affiliated with any crowd on this thread so there should be no confusion.

Even though I argue a point, doesn't mean I live my life that way. Or I could be describing my life.

I dont understand why women here can't have a normal discussion without personal biases being brought in.

I very often argue against the way I live just because a fact is a fact and just because I do otherwise, it doesn't change a situation.
Back to top

honeymoon




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:24 pm
I've been watching Peter's videos since he started his series on Chassidim. He is absolutely the most unbiased, open minded, journalist out there.

For those who are saying that he is not covering the more stringent chassidim, he has a great video with a guy from Williamsburg and his adorable son with his broken English. Very refreshing.

He has one on 'women in hasidism' in Boro Park and another one with rabbi Manis Friedman on intimacy in Judaism. There are a lot more which showcase literally every sect of chassidish life. He certainly has a variety to watch.

I was sad to see that he won't be doing any more videos about chassidim. Its nice see us portrayed in a positive light here and there.
Back to top

amother




Copper
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:31 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

peacenine




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:42 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
You think these people look like typical heimish chassidish family from pupa, belz, satmar, klausenbarg, viznitz?


Sorry to disappoint you but chasidish come in all stripes and colors. The bal shem tov didnt say anything about how people should dress.
Btw I grew up in one of the chasidus you mention above and married to a diff chasidus mentioned above and dont look too different. And no I am not ex chasidish this is how my family and my in laws dress as well.
Back to top

amother




Blush
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:46 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I disagree with that, you would find this in every place you mentioned maybe besides monroe.


Whats with the fixation of Monroe?
Every very chassidish enclave is about the same..Union City, New Square, Gibbers, and Bobov doesnt have their village, but they are as chassidish or more than Satmar sometimes. I dont get the "satmar" point out every time.
First off, most husbands and wives don't sit at the opposite ends. Mother usually sits on the side.
Disclaimer, I am Satmar.. not kj.. my husbamd is traditional as can get.. he thought the couple sitting at the head was beautiful..
Back to top

honeymoon




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:00 pm
I'm chassidish and I found the video to be beautiful and genuine. My heart swelled when I read the positive comments.

Shternie seems to be an amazing woman who pulled off a beautiful Shabbos meal. Kol hakovod. And my mouth watered at the sight of that amazing pecan pie...
Back to top

amother




Seashell
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:03 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I didn't claim to be affiliated with any crowd on this thread so there should be no confusion.

Even though I argue a point, doesn't mean I live my life that way. Or I could be describing my life.

I dont understand why women here can't have a normal discussion without personal biases being brought in.

I very often argue against the way I live just because a fact is a fact and just because I do otherwise, it doesn't change a situation.


It seems that your portrayal of the facts has been challenged in this thread.
Back to top

amother




Royalblue
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:22 pm
peacenine wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you but chasidish come in all stripes and colors. The bal shem tov didnt say anything about how people should dress.
Btw I grew up in one of the chasidus you mention above and married to a diff chasidus mentioned above and dont look too different. And no I am not ex chasidish this is how my family and my in laws dress as well.


If I may add to your post well said;

The Ba'al Shem Tov valued every single yid, especially the simplton. The earnest and piousness of a person was what mattered.

A poster claiming whether or not this family is Chassidish --when clearly they identify as such-- must check in with their Chassidic origins, its trendsetter, and use the opportunity to realign.

Divisions and labels cause sinas chinam rch"l. A Chassid focuses on unity.
Back to top

amother




cornflower
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:27 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
It seems that your portrayal of the facts has been challenged in this thread.


And that's ok. But don't call my opinions 'hate'

We may not agree on this subject but that's different than hate.

Posters call out other posters sometimes in this manner just because theres another opinion.
Back to top

amother




Seashell
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:38 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
And that's ok. But don't call my opinions 'hate'

We may but agree on this subject but that's different than hate.

Posters call out other posters sometimes in this manner just because theres another opinion.


Its not really okay if an outsider is coming in and giving facts that aren't facts...especially when those "facts" are not complementary. I can understand that to be hateful.
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 2:01 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Whats with the fixation of Monroe?
Every very chassidish enclave is about the same..Union City, New Square, Gibbers, and Bobov doesnt have their village, but they are as chassidish or more than Satmar sometimes. I dont get the "satmar" point out every time.
First off, most husbands and wives don't sit at the opposite ends. Mother usually sits on the side.
Disclaimer, I am Satmar.. not kj.. my husbamd is traditional as can get.. he thought the couple sitting at the head was beautiful..


Some wives do sit next to the husband, but that is practically impossible once you have more than a few children and/or married children and certainly impossible with guests. It just isn't appropriate for a shvigger to sit across her eidim and certainly not across her guest. Under these circumstances you'll have mean toward the head, with the women on the other side.

I sit at the other end of the table, with the lecht in front of me, as does my mother, my shvigger, my bobbas, etc. Probably on the off Shabbos when couples do not come I imagine my Bobba sits next to my Zeida simply because that is how it works out (like a shuna rishona couple or young couple with just 2 or 3 children), but at a full table, it is not really comfortable or feasible for the mother to be next to the father.

A wife sitting oiven oon with her husband is unheard of IME.
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 2:19 pm
Rena K wrote:
I loved the video. It was a kiddush Hashem!

I think the reason why this thread derailed is because there is not really much to talk about. It was beautiful, that's all. So people want to analyze a little more, they discuss how they relate to it and whether it's an accurate portrayal. I think most thinking people know that there is no such thing as a truly accurate portrayal of anything. It was meant to give a flavor of shabbas to people who have never seen such a thing. It accomplished that goal. It wasn't meant for you to be able to show your co-worker, and say this is what my family looks like.

Remember, this is YouTube. Chill.

Exactly! This was aimed at a non-Jewish audience. We are not the intended audience. The non-Jews with whom I shared it had nothing but positive things to say. To an outsider, the things we have in common regarding Shabbos and various hashkafas are far greater than what separates us.

And perhaps that's the message in it for us, too.
Back to top

Blueberry Muffin




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 2:45 pm
I think the kids were behaving as typical kids. They were all at the table in the beginning and for challah and for the start of the meal.

I actually think it could be eyeopening to outsiders that once the kids began to get bored, they didn't go to their devices or phones or ipods or play on electronics or play basketball outside or checkout - instead, they occupied themselves and weren't fighting. The boys were playing tag, but they also knew they were getting attention from Peter so it could have helped keep the exciting chase going around the house.

The parents may also did not want to reprimand the kids as they were the hosts and anything could have been taped and picked up by the camera at any point.
Back to top

Raisin




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 2:53 pm
Except that my house is not nearly as fancy or big and I don't have a maid washing up during the meal (I wish!!) this was very similar to shabbos meals at my Chabad House. We often have chassidish (not chabad) guests and even though its not our minhag to sing zemiros, we do for them.

But our guests will be a lot more diverse as well. Not frum, M.O, streimel wearing chassidim, litvish...sometimes even chabad.
Back to top

amother




Saddlebrown
 

Post  Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:06 pm
I don't think I was ever at a shabbos seudah where the wife didn't sit next to the husband. Usually to the right. And I grew up in williamsburg. You can arrange the table so that the men who are not related do not sit straight across the wife.

This video was beautiful. Chassidish people come in all types. One is not more "authentic" than the other. Maybe it's not typical for satmar monroe but it's very similar to our seudas
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 13 of 19 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Favorite parts of the Peter Santanello series
by amother
15 Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:33 pm View last post
Who watched Peter Santenello’s final recap? Thoughts? 21 Sat, Jan 16 2021, 6:44 pm View last post
Series on chassidim s/o, diff types of chassidim
by amother
108 Fri, Jan 15 2021, 2:18 pm View last post
by Yael
Israeli comedy film / series
by amother
4 Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:57 am View last post
Next Series 4 Me - Shows like: White Collar and Burn Notice
by amother
18 Fri, Jan 08 2021, 9:23 am View last post