Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Terrible dandruff in 8 year old girl

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:05 pm
Please share some advice. My dd has terrible dandruff and I don’t know how to get rid of it. I’ve been trying hard and shoulders. If you have experience with this please share.
Ty

smss

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:08 pm
IME Head & Shoulders works well but you do have to be consistent with using it every night. And she should really scrub it into her scalp, use the tips of her fingers and scrub hard.

If you try that for a week and doesn't help, ask a doctor, there are prescription shampoos I think.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:10 pm
Make sure she doesn't use too much shampoo and gets it off properly. Maybe do her hair for the next while.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:11 pm
I liked selsun blue.
Does she have a condition on her scalp? Have you take her to the doctor?

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:37 pm
It could be yeast, bacteria, or seborhea which is inflammatory

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:54 pm
Dandruff is unusual in a child that young. IMNSHO, this deserves a call, if not a visit, to her pediatrician, and maybe to a dermatologist. She may need a mild coal tar shampoo.

chams

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:14 am
Nizoral works amazing.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:14 am
You can try mixing some baking soda into her shampoo and scrubbing it really well into her scalp. This has worked for me

lucky14

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:30 am
Are you using the regular head and shoulders or the clinical strength one? I believe both head and shoulders and selsun blue make clinical strength versions. I'd try one of those. Be consistent with it. And having it looked at by a doctor would be a good idea also.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:44 am
Thank you for all the advice.
Do you think it’s safe to use the clinical strength one on a girl this young?

Zeleze

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:40 am
Selsun is great

Head & Shoulders makes DH hair fall out, and heard so from others too

Any Pharmacy has better options for shampoo's that clean it up

Maybe also a cream that fats his scalm will help too, even vasaline

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for all the advice.
Do you think it’s safe to use the clinical strength one on a girl this young?

Yes I think so but ask her pediatrician and since it could be fungus, sebhoraic dermatitis, psoriasis, etc. you should have her seen by a dermatologist. She may need something prescription.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:32 am
Have you examined her scalp? I have one daughter that had a very problematic spot near the top front of her scalp. I don't know if it's product buildup or what. It almost likes like she gets a giant patch of cradle cap (she is currently a preteen, this had been going on for years). This spot gets awful and flaky and covers the top of her head with dandruff.

Every now and then, after she showers and when it's soft and damp, I attack the spot with a lice comb and it manages to pull everything off her scalp. After that it seems to stay away as long as she scrubs at the spot well with her fingers and makes sure to rinse off all the shampoo. She's not always great at either and inevitably once or twice a year I need to clean up that spot again. But it gets rid of the dandruff at least.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 9:11 am
There’s a product from t-gel that people swear by. It’s supposed to be applied I think once a week : it’s supposed to perform miracles.
Didn’t try it yet but I really need to for my 10 yr old daughter who has terrible flakes

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 9:56 am
Don't do anything until you get her to a dermatologist!

It could be psoraisis, or eczema, or a bacteria, or fungus, or blocked pores, or an allergic reaction to shampoo... If you don't know what you're treating, you could very well cause even more inflammation and misery for her.

Until you can get her seen, the only thing I would do is rinse her hair in apple cider vinegar. Try to get the organic kind that has the "mother" in it. It will have a bit of cloudiness on the bottom, and that's where the good probiotics live.

Shake the bottle a little before you put it on her scalp. You only need about 1/4 cup. Let it sit for about 3 minutes, and then rinse with barely warm - NOT HOT water.

Another thing, how often are you washing her hair? Sometimes if you wash it too often, it will overstimulate oil production, blocking pores, and causing dry skin. Then a bacteria or fungus can live off of the dead skin that builds up.

A lot of people think that you have to really scrub your hair every single day, or you are "not clean". That's not true. Hair needs a couple of days between washes to keep it balanced and healthy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics