Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is it normal for newborn to grunt a lot

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:41 am
My 2 week old grunts a lot in his sleep after a feeding. Does this automatically mean reflux or it’s normal? He makes so much noise!

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:35 am
I was gonna say it sounds like reflux but it seems like you already know what that is

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:58 am
No. It might be fine, but it's a red flag. Take a video of him grunting, and go to the pediatrician with the baby and the video.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:06 am
He’s been doing it since a few days old and I thought it doesn’t start coming out till around 2-3 weeks so I was hoping it isn’t that. Been down this road already and it’s not fun.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:47 am
No
Please ask your dr ASAP
Beh he will be ok but please let your dr know

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s been doing it since a few days old and I thought it doesn’t start coming out till around 2-3 weeks so I was hoping it isn’t that. Been down this road already and it’s not fun.

Grunting can be a sign of things more serious and urgent than reflux.

bk2cuties

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 8:32 am
My Dr always says it's normal for babies to make noises while sleeping. But everyone else here seems to be saying it's dangerous.
So ask your Dr

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 8:36 am
I had some babies grunt and need breathing help in Nicu but I’m sure some babies grunt and it’s normal. Bring him to ped and take videos

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 8:45 am
It's normal for babies to grunt in their sleep, all my babies did it. You can check with your pediatrician to make sure everything is ok.

Good Friend

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 9:36 am
My babies both grunted while they were awake at that age, just as a way of happy calm communication. One of them had reflux but I never thought it was connected.

cla

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:37 am
I remember googling that my newborn did this. Normal, no issues. Don't panic but obviously run it by the doc anyway.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:59 am
My baby did this. First I want to tell you that he bh outgrew it and he's fine now. I recorded it and my doctor diagnosed it as stridor. He said he has a soft voice box which usually gets better on it's own. As long as baby doesn't have difficulty breathing it's fine. Another thing, putting my baby to sleep on his stomach made it 90 percent better. As soon as he slept on his back it was bad.
Good luck. It's probably nothing but check it out so you can be calm.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:45 pm
Starting from when he was a few days old my newborn also grunted a lot after feeding, while he was awake and while sleeping. I stopped drinking cows milk and within a day or two he stopped grunting completely and didn’t start again. When he was a few months old I started drinking milk again slowly and he was fine... I guess his stomach got stronger

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:57 pm
One of my kids grunted a lot when on her back but was fine on her stomach. She was not sleeping well at all, this being a big factor. I discussed with the pediatrician who recommended stomach sleeping (and cleared her of any real concerns). BH that took care of it.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 8:50 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
My baby did this. First I want to tell you that he bh outgrew it and he's fine now. I recorded it and my doctor diagnosed it as stridor. He said he has a soft voice box which usually gets better on it's own. As long as baby doesn't have difficulty breathing it's fine. Another thing, putting my baby to sleep on his stomach made it 90 percent better. As soon as he slept on his back it was bad.
Good luck. It's probably nothing but check it out so you can be calm.

My baby had this also. She made such scary noises my mom said she was afraid to watch her without me being home also.
I would call your doctor tomorrow morning and ask about this but do not panic. Some posters are saying it could be a bad sign- and I'm sure that's true. But just wanted to let you know it also could be totally normal and fine.

editing to add that I still put my baby to sleep on her back. But yes the noises were worse then (she also would spit up a ton especially when on her back). I spent a lot of those early weeks and months holding her upright.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 8:53 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Starting from when he was a few days old my newborn also grunted a lot after feeding, while he was awake and while sleeping. I stopped drinking cows milk and within a day or two he stopped grunting completely and didn’t start again. When he was a few months old I started drinking milk again slowly and he was fine... I guess his stomach got stronger

Just curious- what would be the connection?

ila

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 9:11 pm
Lactose intolerance probably?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 9:56 pm
My baby used to grunt non stop when he was a newborn . He totally stopped grunting once I switched his formula ! It was amazing within a day or two the grunting totally stopped.

pause

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 10:00 pm
Newborn grunting can be a sign of distress, most notably GBS but can be other issues, so it's best to have it checked out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics