Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Don't let it take you by surprise
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:08 pm
I got a lot of decluttering done this past couple of months, and am working on the boys suits and shoes now. I’m planning to buy a bit big so there’s room to grow.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:13 pm
TCR wrote:
If u declutter by getting rid of anything u don't absolutely need, then it's way easier to clean and keep clean. Talking to myself, as I'm too lazy to start working on this, but it's a fact that the less stuff u have, the easier it is to stay on top of things. Example- if u want to clean an area but too much stuff's there, u don't have the motivation to do anything. But if area is clear and clutter-free, then it's way easier and faster

Exactly! It's more of a spring clean at the moment and I sell all my kitchen cupboards anyway (well most) so why not start now. Needs doing anyway. I didn't get around to decluttering around sukkos time as I was so sick (pregnant at the time)

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:13 pm
My Seder table is already set!

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:17 pm
Honestly, if I did it last year with a bad case of corona (high fever and pneumonia), no cleaning help, all kids home from school, dh sick too... then I’m sure I’ll manage this year somehow.

Revafe

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:18 pm
To all the early birds who have cleaned the upstairs and are rationing bread crumbs till shabbas hagodel- keep calm and go on. You rock!

To all non starters till purim, keep calm and go on living your everyday life till after purim. You rock!

Fear not, come (for real) erev pesach, everyone will be frantically cleaning (or recleaning) their homes.

batya315

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:23 pm
Do you have a clue how much chametzing is still gonna happen in my home before I can start working in the reverse?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:25 pm
Revafe wrote:
To all the early birds who have cleaned the upstairs and are rationing bread crumbs till shabbas hagodel- keep calm and go on. You rock!

To all non starters till purim, keep calm and go on living your everyday life till after purim. You rock!

Fear not, come (for real) erev pesach, everyone will be frantically cleaning (or recleaning) their homes.

I don’t I’m not busy cleaning like a lunatic erev Yom Tov cause I’m scheduled that whole week. my house is done for pesach a complete week before and cleaning for Yom Tov I do that week slowly.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:27 pm
batya315 wrote:
Do you have a clue how much chametzing is still gonna happen in my home before I can start working in the reverse?

In the drawers and closets??? There shouldn’t be any.

I polish my silver before purim bag it all till pesach.
Between purim and pesach I do the main living areas since everything else is done.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:28 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Honestly, if I did it last year with a bad case of corona (high fever and pneumonia), no cleaning help, all kids home from school, dh sick too... then I’m sure I’ll manage this year somehow.

It's not just the cleaning and cooking. The expenses can be spread out over a couple of months rather than having a $2000 shopping spree.
My daughter was also like that last Pesach but it was just all about survival. She was glad to already have things in place because she obviously was stuck at home and I was terrified about what was going on there but couldn't come into the house.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:29 pm
My basement, second floor and attic are all ready!! Only main floor needs to be done.
We have a strict rule that food only allowed on main floor. Bh the kids follow this rule, otherwise I'd go out of my mind!

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:37 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It's not just the cleaning and cooking. The expenses can be spread out over a couple of months rather than having a $2000 shopping spree.
My daughter was also like that last Pesach but it was just all about survival. She was glad to already have things in place because she obviously was stuck at home and I was terrified about what was going on there but couldn't come into the house.

Oh it’s a good thing my mother or anyone else couldn’t come into my house!
It’s even a better thing that I’m alive to tell you how bad it was last year.
When Hatzalah was checking my oxygen level on shabbos I remember thinking that I’ll never complain about erev pesach again if I make it.
I made it. I’m going to try not to complain.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:52 pm
Omg I was thinking of pesach this evening! I just broke the big jar of yeast that keep on my counter.

Cleaning the glass didn't bother me.
I was so upset at the dry yeast, which went EVERYWHERE! My one thought was pesach! (Who cares about the glass!)
I'm glad to see that I'm not alone LOL

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:07 am
Also SB- so right about being careful what youre buying chometz wise now. Less bal tashchis the better.
Don’t buy that oversized oats container if it lasts you 6 months...

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:26 am
keym wrote:
I'm not so learned. But I'm fairly positive there's a source that it's assur to even think about Pesach (except clothes shopping) before Tu Bishvat, and assur to start cleaning at all until Rosh Chodesh Adar.
And the machmirim will refrain from all Pesach thoughts and actions until after Purim.
And those who wait until Rosh Chodesh Nisdan- Tavo Alecha Bracha.
Anyone know the source?
This is a very holy minhag that has been passed down from one procrastinating generation to another.

Perhaps Rebbitzen ZZZ is able to clarify the details of this heilige minhag?

GLUE

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:58 am
I do not buy clothes for Pesach. Why bother it is to cold for summer clothes and silly to by winter clothes. Shavus is when you can get pretty clothes on sale good for the whole summer.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 4:25 am
Forget about the cleaning part, I'm worried about the cooking! I'm due a week after Purim and don't know how I'll manage...

I was thinking of kashering (part of) my kitchen this or next week, fill up my freezer, and then use the kitchen for chometz again until right before Pesach.

But just the thought of having to kasher twice, and kashering now just seems so crazy...

Plus, I'm still working full-time (and tired from the pregnancy), I don't have the time and head space to start scrubbing my sink and plan menus. (Is it even possible to freezer everything beforehand? Seems like so much pesach food isn't freezable - potatoes, fish, vegetables... In fact, I can only think of cakes, desserts, meats and soups that freeze well)

Any advice?

(Anonymous since I've been discussing this with people IRL)

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:52 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Omg I was thinking of pesach this evening! I just broke the big jar of yeast that keep on my counter.

Cleaning the glass didn't bother me.
I was so upset at the dry yeast, which went EVERYWHERE! My one thought was pesach! (Who cares about the glass!)
I'm glad to see that I'm not alone LOL

The major halachic organizations (OU, CRC, Star K) all say baking yeast is not chometz. You can keep it over Pesach. Same with pearled barley, because it's processed without water.

Last edited by imasinger on Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:56 am
I'm nervous this year. We also have a rule about no food on the bedroom floor that is usually followed. But this year, when kids have been quarantined, they have eaten a lot of the time in their rooms. So we have to go do them all.

someone

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 6:57 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Nooo go away

Hahahaha, this is exactly what I feel whenever anyone mentions the word Pesach at this time of year. Or most times of year

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:01 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Forget about the cleaning part, I'm worried about the cooking! I'm due a week after Purim and don't know how I'll manage...

I was thinking of kashering (part of) my kitchen this or next week, fill up my freezer, and then use the kitchen for chometz again until right before Pesach.

But just the thought of having to kasher twice, and kashering now just seems so crazy...

Plus, I'm still working full-time (and tired from the pregnancy), I don't have the time and head space to start scrubbing my sink and plan menus. (Is it even possible to freezer everything beforehand? Seems like so much pesach food isn't freezable - potatoes, fish, vegetables... In fact, I can only think of cakes, desserts, meats and soups that freeze well)

Any advice?

(Anonymous since I've been discussing this with people IRL)

I’m in the exact same situation. I’m going to open my pesach kitchen early to do stuff. And I’m doing a lot now like stocking tilll pesach
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics