Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Don't let it take you by surprise
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Revafe

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:12 am
Abie Rottenberg needs to change the lyrics to
"I've got the here comes tu-bshvat blues..."

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:49 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Forget about the cleaning part, I'm worried about the cooking! I'm due a week after Purim and don't know how I'll manage...

I was thinking of kashering (part of) my kitchen this or next week, fill up my freezer, and then use the kitchen for chometz again until right before Pesach.

But just the thought of having to kasher twice, and kashering now just seems so crazy...

Plus, I'm still working full-time (and tired from the pregnancy), I don't have the time and head space to start scrubbing my sink and plan menus. (Is it even possible to freezer everything beforehand? Seems like so much pesach food isn't freezable - potatoes, fish, vegetables... In fact, I can only think of cakes, desserts, meats and soups that freeze well)

Any advice?

(Anonymous since I've been discussing this with people IRL)

You can bake, freeze, and re-bake potato kugel. This has been discussed before on this site so my advice is to search on this site for the best way to freeze potato kugel and in general advice for those due to give birth near or on Pesach. There are loads of older threads about it with lots of coping strategies.
Toys4U is 20% off this week, at least in Monsey so some new toys put away for Pesach may be a good idea but some toys are still cheaper at Bingo. New toys will keep the kids entertained, at least for a little while.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:58 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Forget about the cleaning part, I'm worried about the cooking! I'm due a week after Purim and don't know how I'll manage...

I was thinking of kashering (part of) my kitchen this or next week, fill up my freezer, and then use the kitchen for chometz again until right before Pesach.

But just the thought of having to kasher twice, and kashering now just seems so crazy...

Plus, I'm still working full-time (and tired from the pregnancy), I don't have the time and head space to start scrubbing my sink and plan menus. (Is it even possible to freezer everything beforehand? Seems like so much pesach food isn't freezable - potatoes, fish, vegetables... In fact, I can only think of cakes, desserts, meats and soups that freeze well)

Any advice?

(Anonymous since I've been discussing this with people IRL)

I did this last year during midwinter vacation. I cleaned and froze raw chicken, cooked meatballs, meat, carrot kugels, potato kugels, apple kugels, cookies, cake, applesauce, etc. It was a major help. I gave birth about a week before pesach and only had to do the last minute things like soup, cholent, bake the prepped chicken, kearah plate - and my kids helped with peeling vegetables and stuff, but BH had everything else prepared already.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:13 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I did this last year during midwinter vacation. I cleaned and froze raw chicken, cooked meatballs, meat, carrot kugels, potato kugels, apple kugels, cookies, cake, applesauce, etc. It was a major help. I gave birth about a week before pesach and only had to do the last minute things like soup, cholent, bake the prepped chicken, kearah plate - and my kids helped with peeling vegetables and stuff, but BH had everything else prepared already.

Wow, you sound so organized. Thank you (and others!) for your tips. I guess there's no more denying it... So far I've been playing ostrich but I guess I should just pull myself together and get started.

batya315

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:38 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
In the drawers and closets??? There shouldn’t be any.

I polish my silver before purim bag it all till pesach.
Between purim and pesach I do the main living areas since everything else is done.

In the china closet, probably not, but drawers, closets... As long as little people are in control of my domain...

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:49 am
Elfrida wrote:
No it's not. Not until after Tu b'Shvat.

Tu b’Shvat we start
Rosh Chodesh we start planning, making To Do List.
Buying Tickets- right after Sukkot we start looking ever so often for the best price

goforit

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:57 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
My Seder table is already set!

My salt water is in the freezer!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:11 am
Chol hamoed attractions will probably still require advanced reservations and I am not sure how far in advance you need to make them.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:16 am
Zara had an awesome sale this week, and I bought DD an outfit and shoes for Pesach. That's the sum total of my preparations so far.

I was glad last year to have done everyone's shopping early (we had a family Simcha, which is why I did it early to begin with) or we would not have had what we needed for Pesach (and let's not get into a discussion again about whether one should/could/would spend Pesach in pj's if you're not going anywhere anyway....)

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 9:24 am
Chayalle wrote:
Zara had an awesome sale this week, and I bought DD an outfit and shoes for Pesach. That's the sum total of my preparations so far.

I was glad last year to have done everyone's shopping early (we had a family Simcha, which is why I did it early to begin with) or we would not have had what we needed for Pesach (and let's not get into a discussion again about whether one should/could/would spend Pesach in pj's if you're not going anywhere anyway....)

Everyone was required to get dressed everyday last year. I was so thankful for my organization and being advanced when they announced that all stores will be shut I needed a few stuff for pesach from housewares store I had my pesach list from last year etc. I also had all clothing in the closet cause I buy before purim if possible.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:02 pm
iyar wrote:
I'm not sure it's even legal to discuss Pesach before Rosh Chodesh Shvat. At least one ima here is a lawyer. Please advise.

No, she only CLAIMS to be a lawyer...

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:13 pm
southernbubby wrote:
You can bake, freeze, and re-bake potato kugel. This has been discussed before on this site so my advice is to search on this site for the best way to freeze potato kugel and in general advice for those due to give birth near or on Pesach. There are loads of older threads about it with lots of coping strategies.
Toys4U is 20% off this week, at least in Monsey so some new toys put away for Pesach may be a good idea but some toys are still cheaper at Bingo. New toys will keep the kids entertained, at least for a little while.

How long are they having a sale at Toys4U?

4g01o

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:22 pm
goforit wrote:
My salt water is in the freezer!

You win! LOL

TCR

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:42 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
how do you know if your kids will have a growth spurt in the next 3 months, especially since pesach clothing is really meant for summer...

it's never warm enough on pesach for summer clothes. Never.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:50 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
How long are they having a sale at Toys4U?

Check with them to see if it's still on or if they are going to have another sale.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:52 pm
TCR wrote:

It will still be winter for Pesach this year but kids may still need some things.

Jenmom

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:22 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Who knows where we will even be come pesach time? One of the hardest parts of corona for me was the realization that planning anything more than 5 minutes in advance is a waste of time in today's day and age.

That is certainly a way of thinking about it. Last year I made a SIX MONTH LONG plan in January, and my March I was laughing at myself. Still, aside from out of the house plans, little about my day to day life changed.
In a bit of irony, I recently was diagnosed with celiac disease and I have had to get rid of a lot of gluten containing foods and clean the house and surfaces of gluten. It's a lot like Pesach cleaning, lol

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:29 pm
Actually, Leil HaSeder is motzei Shabbos this year. That means a very carefully planned Shabbos to manage meals when we can still eat chametz and food for the afternoon to keep us going until the seder meal. But I don't think we need to develop a military schedule of minute by minute activities yet.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:36 pm
TCR wrote:

true so then my kids wear their old winter clothing so they don't really need new clothing for pesach. my older dd asked if she could get "something" new but she's fine with a bracelet or something so I thought that made sense.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 2:00 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Actually, Leil HaSeder is motzei Shabbos this year. That means a very carefully planned Shabbos to manage meals when we can still eat chametz and food for the afternoon to keep us going until the seder meal. But I don't think we need to develop a military schedule of minute by minute activities yet.

No but tax season is Pesach time and because it's the end of March, some cars are due for inspection and kids need arrangements made for homecoming. Some sales are going on now that might be helpful for Pesach so it may pay to look at the calendar and set certain goals for each week so that it doesn't all happen at once.
Kids who are living at home can visit the dentist before Purim so that the only ones needing the dentist right before Pesach are the returning students. Same with other well visits to the doctor.
A bit of planning can relieve a lot of stress.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics