Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Dor Yeshorim

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 3:02 pm
I need to do Dor Yeshorim for my daughter, I was wondering if insurance covers it at all? She has Fidelis.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 10:40 am
bump

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 10:42 am
Will health insurance cover the costs of genetic testing?

In many cases, health insurance plans will cover the costs of genetic testing when it is recommended by a person's doctor. Health insurance providers have different policies about which tests are covered, however. A person interested in submitting the costs of testing may wish to contact his or her insurance company beforehand to ask about coverage.

Some people may choose not to use their insurance to pay for testing because the results of a genetic test can affect a person's insurance coverage. Instead, they may opt to pay out-of-pocket for the test. People considering genetic testing may want to find out more about their state's privacy protection laws before they ask their insurance company to cover the costs. (Refer to What is genetic discrimination? for more information.)

https://medlineplus.gov/geneti.....ever.

Can she do dor yeshorim through her school or seminary? Typically that's cheaper

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 10:44 am
We had to pay for it. I don't think insurance covers it. Call the office to find out.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 10:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I need to do Dor Yeshorim for my daughter, I was wondering if insurance covers it at all? She has Fidelis.

You can do prepregnancy genetic testing at your local obgyn not through dor yesharim and find out if your daughter is a carrier for anything.
The testing checks for <290 diseases, dor yesharim 1) checks for way less 2) doesn't let you know the results if your a carrier for a specific disease

(I think they are an amazing organization but I think there are a few newer ones including jscreen that offer more in the 21st century)

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:05 am
Insurance does not cover dor yeshurim. When u do it through the school it's usually cheaper

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:48 am
Health insurance usually covers genetic testing if it’s done through a medical facility, which Dor Yeshorim is not.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:08 pm
I strongly suggest using Jscreen. Although it gives you the results as opposed to keeping it confidential, they test for almost 300 diseases, while dor yeshorim tests for less than 30.

My husband and I both did dor yeshorim, and then found out when we had our first baby that we are both carriers for a very serious disease that can be more common with ashkenazis. Dor yeshorim only tests for this disease on the additional optional panel that costs extra..

I agree with the idea of dor yeshorim and appreciate the way people are able to get matched stigma free, but at the very least they should test for all the common serious diseases and not make you pay extra for the 7 others, so that even if you get the extra test but your spouse didn’t, you’d have no idea you were both carriers. For us it defeated the entire point of getting it in the first place.

Zeleze

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 12:55 pm
Call them to ask, sure they know

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:11 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I strongly suggest using Jscreen. Although it gives you the results as opposed to keeping it confidential, they test for almost 300 diseases, while dor yeshorim tests for less than 30.

My husband and I both did dor yeshorim, and then found out when we had our first baby that we are both carriers for a very serious disease that can be more common with ashkenazis. Dor yeshorim only tests for this disease on the additional optional panel that costs extra..

I agree with the idea of dor yeshorim and appreciate the way people are able to get matched stigma free, but at the very least they should test for all the common serious diseases and not make you pay extra for the 7 others, so that even if you get the extra test but your spouse didn’t, you’d have no idea you were both carriers. For us it defeated the entire point of getting it in the first place.

Dor yeshurim recently added a whole new panel of diseases that they now test for
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries