Home

What options exist for a MO teen who wants intense learning
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:22 pm
My 17-year-old is very interested in advanced Torah learning. Currently, she learns with a group of women from Hadran in our area, but since she is graduating from high school this year, she is looking for something more while in college. We know about Yeshivat Maharat in New York, but she's also interested in going to Israel (maybe even making aliyah). She is my only child interested in this; my others went straight to college. She's not looking for a seminary where she has to stay at a campus. I have family in Israel that she can stay with, so she would not be interested in dorming. Lindenbaum has also come up, but it looks to be for only seniors. She will be taking a year off while we consider her options, so it would also have to be a program that isn't only for high school seniors.

Does anything like this exist? All of her friends are applying to college, so we're kind of doing this on our own.


Thanks in advance for any help!
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:27 pm
Nishmat
Back to top

amother




Wheat
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:32 pm
Lindenbaum is for the year post HS (and some stay the year after too as my DD has friends there for Shana Bet) There are some other heavy hitters as well like Migdal Oz and Nishmat. Not sure about non-dorm options though.
Is she is a MO Yeshiva HS? If so, is there an Israel guidance department? Can they help?
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:32 pm
She can even join their online Beit midrash for her year off, if she's interested in any of the courses:

https://nishmat.net/womens-lea.....ions/
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:35 pm
Rappel wrote:
She can even join their online Beit midrash for her year off, if she's interested in any of the courses:

https://nishmat.net/womens-lea.....ions/


Wow, thank you for this! Very helpful!
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:35 pm
I don't know too much about it, but if she comes to Israel, Pardes might be what she is looking for. I think it is mixed - don't know if that would be an issue.

www.pardes.org.il
Back to top

chanchy123




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:35 pm
When you say “seniors” do you mean directly out of high school? I’m unclear as to why she’s taking the year off or why she doesn’t want to dorm - also when you say you have relatives she can stay with in Israel - where in Israel? Migdal Oz sounds perfect for your daughter, but that’s a dorming program, if she’s a serious learner maybe she can join the Israeli program.
There are quite a few learning programs for women that are serious, but they’re usually geared towards women who are older than 19 (usually that will require at least a year in midrasha sometimes a college degree).
Beit Morasha, the Halacha program at Lindenbaum, Nishmat, Matan, Yeshivat Rosh Tzurim.


Last edited by chanchy123 on Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Slategray
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:42 pm
As mentioned, Migdal Oz, Lindenbaum, and Nishmat all have gap-year programs. All are good, but are a little different in style and flavor. But all the programs aimed at 18 year olds expect you to dorm. They might consider her if she took another year off first--ask and see. All 3 programs have a high level of learning, but Migdal Oz currently has the strongest Gemara program and the most integration with Israelis.

The only place where she wouldn't is if she made aliyah and went to Bar-Ilan. But even there many of the women who are interested in serious learning may have been to a midrasha for a year or two.

I would encourage her to rethink her opposition to dorming. Maharat's program isn't really geared towards girls straight out of high school. It doesn't formally require a degree, but every student I've met has either been to college and/or had some experience with Jewish learning post-HS.
Back to top

amother




Slategray
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:42 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I don't know too much about it, but if she comes to Israel, Pardes might be what she is looking for. I think it is mixed - don't know if that would be an issue.

www.pardes.org.il

Pardes is aimed at post-college.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:45 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Lindenbaum is for the year post HS (and some stay the year after too as my DD has friends there for Shana Bet) There are some other heavy hitters as well like Migdal Oz and Nishmat. Not sure about non-dorm options though.
Is she is a MO Yeshiva HS? If so, is there an Israel guidance department? Can they help?


Thank you!

The students from her school who are going to Israel are going to standard programs. Lindenbaum came up as well as Michlalah and another one, I'm forgetting the name. So we got some names, but nothing particularly helpful for my daughter's situation.

Lindenbaum sounds promising. She and I will have to get in contact with them. We assumed it was for girls graduating in June who would start in August/September.
Back to top

chanchy123




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you!

The students from her school who are going to Israel are going to standard programs. Lindenbaum came up as well as Michlalah and another one, I'm forgetting the name. So we got some names, but nothing particularly helpful for my daughter's situation.

Lindenbaum sounds promising. She and I will have to get in contact with them. We assumed it was for girls graduating in June who would start in August/September.

You still haven’t clarified why DD’s taking a year off. Migdal Oz is the perfect program for your DD, but the overseas program is geared towards high school graduates.
Back to top

amother




Coffee
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 17-year-old is very interested in advanced Torah learning. Currently, she learns with a group of women from Hadran in our area, but since she is graduating from high school this year, she is looking for something more while in college. We know about Yeshivat Maharat in New York, but she's also interested in going to Israel (maybe even making aliyah). She is my only child interested in this; my others went straight to college. She's not looking for a seminary where she has to stay at a campus. I have family in Israel that she can stay with, so she would not be interested in dorming. Lindenbaum has also come up, but it looks to be for only seniors. She will be taking a year off while we consider her options, so it would also have to be a program that isn't only for high school seniors.

Does anything like this exist? All of her friends are applying to college, so we're kind of doing this on our own.


Thanks in advance for any help!


Just to confirm. DD is graduating highschool June, taking a year off, and then is looking to do college and advanced Torah learning at the same time, potentially in Israel.

What about Bar-Ilan?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 4:54 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
When you say “seniors” do you mean directly out of high school? I’m unclear as to why she’s taking the year off or why she doesn’t want to dorm - also when you say you have relatives she can stay with in Israel - where in Israel? Migdal Oz sounds perfect for your daughter, but that’s a dorming program, if she’s a serious learner maybe she can join the Israeli program.
There are quite a few learning programs for women that are serious, but they’re usually geared towards women who are older than 19 (usually that will require at least a year in midrasha sometimes a college degree).
Beit Morasha, the Halacha program at Lindenbaum, Nishmat, Matan, Yeshivat Rosh Tzurim.


Yes, senior directly out of high school.

She doesn't want any of the rules that come with dorming and she's not interested in living with strangers. It's not her thing Dont know

She wants to take the year off to really cement what she wants to do, whether it's college, going to Israel, continue learning or not. She has too many ideas in her head and needs time to actually settle on one.

We have family in Raanana, Jerusalem, and Kfar Sava.

Thanks for the info! This is important for she and I to know.
Back to top

amother




Tan
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:01 pm
https://www.batshevalearningcenter.com/
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:02 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
As mentioned, Migdal Oz, Lindenbaum, and Nishmat all have gap-year programs. All are good, but are a little different in style and flavor. But all the programs aimed at 18 year olds expect you to dorm. They might consider her if she took another year off first--ask and see. All 3 programs have a high level of learning, but Migdal Oz currently has the strongest Gemara program and the most integration with Israelis.

The only place where she wouldn't is if she made aliyah and went to Bar-Ilan. But even there many of the women who are interested in serious learning may have been to a midrasha for a year or two.

I would encourage her to rethink her opposition to dorming. Maharat's program isn't really geared towards girls straight out of high school. It doesn't formally require a degree, but every student I've met has either been to college and/or had some experience with Jewish learning post-HS.


This is so helpful, thank you!

I can't convince her re dorming. She doesn't want to and is adamant about it. It looks like her best option would be apply and get into a college first, either in the US or Israel, and then figure out the learning after.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:06 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Just to confirm. DD is graduating highschool June, taking a year off, and then is looking to do college and advanced Torah learning at the same time, potentially in Israel.

What about Bar-Ilan?


Pretty much. Except she wants to do Torah learning now verus later, but from what I'm reading, the way you have it written looks much more realistic.

Bar-Ilan looks to be a really good option.
Back to top

amother




Wheat
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:10 pm
If she does go straight to Bar Ilan as a college, that might work too.
(It doesn’t sound like the Bar Ilan EX is for her)
Back to top

amother




Coffee
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Pretty much. Except she wants to do Torah learning now verus later, but from what I'm reading, the way you have it written looks much more realistic.

Bar-Ilan looks to be a really good option.


I guess I don't understand what the 'year off' is for.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:14 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
https://www.batshevalearningcenter.com/


This looks cool! She missed the deadline for the next course, but she would be interested in subsequent ones and the textbooks! Thank you!



I'm also interested myself LOL Laugh
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 5:31 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Is she currently a senior? Are you looking for programs for her to do while in highschool?


Yes, she is a senior graduating in June. She ideally wants to continue learning during her gap year and then, IYH, start college for the fall 2022 semester, in the US or Israel. Israel has her heart, though, so most likely, she will be in Israel.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Teen clothing
by bnm
14 Today at 12:33 am View last post
DC always wants to go to doc/hospital
by amother
39 Yesterday at 10:24 pm View last post
Teen DD suffering from tmj
by amother
4 Yesterday at 10:27 am View last post
Plus size teen clothing in monsey
by amother
2 Sat, Mar 06 2021, 11:20 pm View last post
Looking for advice for teen
by amother
6 Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:38 am View last post