Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
British living in America question - hating bread?!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:08 pm
Moved here many years ago still hate the bread feels heavily preserved (Monsey anyways)
Am I the only one who feels this way????
Half the bakeries here don't even BAKE bread, just challos and junk, what kind of bakery is that?!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:14 pm
im with you Sad I found a nice replacement for grodzinski style breads is brooklyn bread... will try to find name and post again

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Moved here many years ago still hate the bread feels heavily preserved (Monsey anyways)
Half the bakeries here don't even BAKE bread, just challos and junk, what kind of bakery is that?!

Its a patisserie that sells challos.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:15 pm
My European family couldn't deal with the bread in EY. I gather that there's something different about it.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:16 pm
American bread is gross. I say this as an American who lived abroad and then came home. In fact, a lot of American food is gross and pure garbage.

rgr

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:19 pm
You can get sourdough bread from @homegrownkosher or homegrownkosher.com, located in Monsey

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:42 pm
Ah Grodzinskis...

My mum used to drop me off at Edgware station to take the tube to school in the mornings, and every so often she would stop off at Grodzinkis and buy me a sandwich and a gingerbread man. Good times.

bsy

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:46 pm
I only buy francosz health bread. No preservatives

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:46 pm
Oh yes!!!! There is nothing to compare! Growing up, with a fresh loaf of granary on the table... it makes me miss home!!!
the stuff here is empty garbage with no taste!

taketwo

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:47 pm
I totally agree! Whenever a family comes visits I tell them to bring baked goods. Even rakusens chocolate digestive. Grodzinski croissants and donuts are so much better than the american stuff.

healthymom1

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:48 pm
Bake your own?!

alef12

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:00 pm
rgr wrote:
You can get sourdough bread from @homegrownkosher or homegrownkosher.com, located in Monsey

Thanks!
Yes! You can get my bread at Evergreen also
(Hope it's ok for me to post this)
It's available in the Zishes bakery freezer all week and fresh on Thursday afternoons and Fridays. When it is available fresh you can ask the Zishes Bakery people to slice it for you if you'd like as I have the same hashgacha as they have.
It freezea excellently.

It's a European style bread that happens to be sourdough. The ingredients are flour, water and salt. (Multigrain also has pieces of whole grain)

You can order it directly from me as well as above if you prefer

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You are not alone. I remember many years ago when we were moving to America from Ukraine, we asked a few Americans what we should bring with us. And many said bread. We laughed. We couldn't believe that goldene medina doesn't have a good bread. That's until we tried it and couldn't get it off the roof of our mouths. Oy.

simcha2

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:26 pm
It's funny, when my parents visit from the UK, there are certain breads here they love (they are partial to Parkway, not Grodz, in the UK).

The local supermarket (Acme/Albertson) store bakery is ou/pas yisrael- and they love the raisin bread.

They also like the packaged potato bread.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:47 pm
And the eggs, cheese, milk and fruit and veg. All foods took a lot of getting used to!

simcha2

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:51 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
And the eggs, cheese, milk and fruit and veg. All foods took a lot of getting used to!

The cheese! Ds said this evening "if we move to England we can have good cheese". One of their highlights of visiting the grandparents!

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 8:30 pm
Omg dh is like this. Don’t know why. I’ve tasted Grodinskis donuts and they are honestly nothing special. He cries for them every Chanukah. As well as those little smiley cookies (err biscuits).

And English bread is just meh IMHO. Jokes on me because we’re moving to London!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:16 am
yes, I so agree! Although, I have had good sourdough from the Brooklyn artisan bakehouse in crown heights but its $$$$$$.

Just a normal loaf of sliced bread with the crusty tops...yum, or one of those french sticks grods sells.

Also, sharons bakery in stamford hill used to be open 24 hours. Their cakes and other stuff was nothing special but their bread was decent and buying fresh out of the oven bread at 1 am. Smile

Most uk bakeries bake their bread on site. It is fresh that day. I think in the US most bread is processed and just not as good.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:24 am
Can’t believe there is something better in the Uk than US. I mean American girls used to bring their Poland spring bottles of water to sem here so I never thought such a thing was possible!

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:49 pm
I'm not from the UK but somewhere else and used to go to camp as a counselor in the US. I brought tons of loaves of bread frozen to get me through. Could not stand the US bread!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries