Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Painting banister spindles Lakewood recommendation

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 9:22 pm
Looking to paint spindles. Any recommendations?

Fabulous

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 9:22 pm
I don’t know if painting is diff than staining but I was told staining was super expensive because they had to take out each spindle and do it individually and many often broke and would have to be replaced. It was almost cheaper to replace altogether

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 10:20 pm
Fabulous wrote:
I don’t know if painting is diff than staining but I was told staining was super expensive because they had to take out each spindle and do it individually and many often broke and would have to be replaced. It was almost cheaper to replace altogether

I was told to have the spindles painted and banister stained. Im having a hard time find someone to paint.

bling3

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 10:42 pm
If the spindles are still raw natural wood, I would recommend to stain them. I had white spindles that were installed by mistake before we moved into our house. I was forever cleaning the spindles from all the handprints. I touched up the paint many times myself. Now, 10 years later, I replaced the spindles with wrought iron spindles. They were expensive, but such a pleasure on the maintenance. If you are doing wood spindles I would definitely do stain as you wont see all the dirt.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:41 pm
Splash painters

On Instagram it’s splashpaintingnj

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:43 pm
I am not surprised that you were "told" to paint the spindles. But will the person who "told" you this be the one maintaining them? Stained wood can hold up to a lot of abuse before showing it. Assuming you are referring to them being painted white--well spindles are awfully fun to have cars and other toys run across. Also fun for dirty little hands to hold on to. Unless you are a child free house where no child visits or ever will visit, I recommend the stained wood, unless you really enjoy painting.

It kind of reminds me of the "after" photos on some of the decorating shows. The ones where kids ares supposed to sit at a banquette at the kitchen table with a cloth cushioned seat and lots of cute throw pillows. Those would sticky and filthy in two seconds, but they look nice for the camera.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics