Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/O What makes you...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:36 pm
Chasidish??

When I learnt chasidus as a subject in my very chasidish high school. We learnt that the Bal Shem Tovs goal was to make yiddishkeit accessible to every single yid by uplifting the mundain. He taught that every part of our life has the potential to be heilig when done for the correct reasons. There's also a big emphasis on being in an environment of Ehrlich's people and having a strong connection to your rebbe.

Today chasidus became like a political party and it's all about how you dress, talk, eat and which minhagim you observe. Unfortunately much of Toras hachasidus is not taught or discussed. I wonder if the Bal Shem Tov would consider many chasidish sects as living according to the true chasidish values.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:38 pm
There was such a thread not too long ago.
Chasidus and chassidish is 2 different things.
Chassidish means having a Rebba, belonging to that sect, and following the Rebba's chumra's and minhagim.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 1:49 pm
Hmmm so all those following the general chasidish lifestyle but dont have a rebbe are not chasidish?
And why is chasidus (which is the concepts behind the lifestyle) different from the lifestyle itself?

Lovable

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hmmm so all those following the general chasidish lifestyle but dont have a rebbe are not chasidish?
And why is chasidus (which is the concepts behind the lifestyle) different from the lifestyle itself?

All Chassidim are Chassidic but not all Chassidic people are chassidim

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 8:53 pm
First of all, chassidish fit in the title line. It may be rude of me to say so, but I'm tired of half titles.
To answer your question, I'm chassidish because my parents are chassidish. Kind of like if your parents are Spanish, you're Spanish. Even if you don't actually eat Spanish foods, or even if you don't speak Spanish. Still Spanish.
Same with being black. Your parents are black, then you're black. Same as being Jewish. Your parents are Jewish, you're Jewish.
Now, if people can go away from their heritage, for sure. But what makes me chassidish? I was born and raised by chassidish people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics