Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn doesn’t fall asleep unless nursing

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:02 pm
I’m so exhausted and so is my baby. Will only fall asleep when nursing and then when I put the baby down they wake up. No matter how tired she is, she won’t fall asleep on her own. This can go on for hours. She hates being swaddled; won’t take a pacifier. I don’t know what to do. I can’t nurse every single time she needs to sleep. Anyone been there and have tips or chizzuk? I’m so nervous that she won’t be a good sleeper and I can’t cope without sleep.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:04 pm
Have you tried rocking to sleep while you walk around? That's how most newborns fall asleep in my experience.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:10 pm
A newborn isn't supposed to fall asleep on their own. Try to rock her, walk around with his, or gently pat her to sleep.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:13 pm
Try looking into the snoo. It’s a bassinet that will rock your baby to sleep and is supposed to work wonders. It is pricey but I believe you can rent them for a very reasonable price

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 3:17 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Try looking into the snoo. It’s a bassinet that will rock your baby to sleep and is supposed to work wonders. It is pricey but I believe you can rent them for a very reasonable price

Not everyone finds them so magical..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:01 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
A newborn isn't supposed to fall asleep on their own. Try to rock her, walk around with his, or gently pat her to sleep.

That’s what I do but at soon as we put her down she’s up again , sometimes right away, sometimes few minutes later

Also, at what point do babies learn how to fall asleep on their own and how will it happen?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:04 pm
Mine was like that. Now I’m nostalgic and missing it. She older than some of you. The days are long (the nights are even longer), but the years are short. Mazel Tov. Enjoy your newborn!

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s what I do but at soon as we put her down she’s up again , sometimes right away, sometimes few minutes later

Also, at what point do babies learn how to fall asleep on their own and how will it happen?

If you mean very newly newborn, many need to be held even while they're sleeping. Once they're in a deep sleep usually they can be put down, though she might need shushing and tapping for a minute after to help her stay asleep.

She just spent the last nine months being rocked to sleep and held the entire time. It takes time to adjust to a totally new life. I teach my babies how to fall asleep on their own once they're a bit older.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

With many babies you need to train them to fall asleep on their own, its not gonna happen automatically. I found the best way to do it is take them off as their eyes start closing and then either rock to sleep or gently put down. It might take a week or so but the earlier you do it the easier to make good habits.

Frumme

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 7:28 pm
Make sure you're not putting her down too soon. They first doze off into a light sleep then deeper sleep, so wait until she is really, really asleep to put her down. If you put her to sleep on her back then you'll need to swaddle her or she'll wake from her startle reflex.

And when nothing else works, try a baby carrier, bouncer, or swing

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:23 am
My gosh you sound like me!!! I could have written this post! My baby is 7 weeks bah and he would only sleep in my bed. A friend gave me the baby whisperer by Tracy Hogg which is all about routining your baby, now I am the most unroutined person ever I hate structure, so I read it and said haha never gonna work Banging head . I adapted bits of it that I thought would suit my baby. I forced the paci, just keep giving it to him, I found that stroking it on his bottom lip and putting it in slowly worked and then I swaddled him just from under his arms coz he wriggles his arms out and screams otherwise. and then I did what Tracy calls the shush pat method. and bh in the past week he's started the night in his crib 4 times, he sleeps less there though, in my bed he would do 3-4 hrs and down he only does 2-3 but its progress, so far I didn't manage to get him back down after the first time he woke up but last night he did 4 hrs!!!!
Progress is tiny baby steps and its exhausting and stressful but hang in there OP we'll get there!!!!! Heart Heart
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics