Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Midwinter in the Midwest on a Budget

busymother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 12:20 pm
We're coming up to 10 days off for midwinter break. I really dont want them spending it on the screen but I dont really have a budget to do anything. Willing to drive to Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio but need ideas for really cheap outings. Any good ideas?
TIA!

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:06 pm
National and state parks are free or almost free, but you have to check what's currently open, plus the weather. We loved Mammoth Cave in KY and Hocking Hills SP in OH. You also have Cuyahoga NP in OH and Indiana Dunes NP in IN (which is really close to Chicago, which is full of things to do plus kosher food).

Kentucky also has some great horse-related attractions (Churchill Downs and KY Horse Park) if your kids are into animals. Indianapolis has a great children's museum for younger kids, and the Indy 500 race track was really cool to tour. This is all pre-COVID info, so check to see what's open and what rules may currently be in effect.

busymother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:23 pm
Thanks! Wish this break was in the spring or fall so we could do more outdoorsy things!

GLUE

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 1:36 pm
There is a book series called Weird US it is about all the weird and strange atractions in the USA I think it is broken down by state- You might find something in there that your kids will want to vist

busymother

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:30 am
Any other indoor ideas? Not sure national parks would work for the winter...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 2:45 pm
Indoor ideas are usually a lot more expensive

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:16 pm
not sure what you call expensive...

there are thinks like trampoline parks and then there are places like police museum...
in dayton there is the airforce museum which is indoors and admission is free. my kids liked that but I don't think I would have at their age!

busymother

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:59 pm
Air Force museum type sounds perfect, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics