Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How often do you buy new undergarments, and where?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:41 pm
My filter will block the thread if it says the word "bra" in the thread title- hence the euphemism.

I went to get new bras today. Every time I go, the woman says that the bra I was wearing before is terrible. The problem is that the bras she sells are expensive, and I'd rather not spend $70 on every single bra I buy. The ones to wear under my better clothing, sure, but every one?

Then she told me that I should be getting new bras at least twice a year. Really? Is that what people do?

How often do you buy new bras? How many do you have at a time? Are you able to buy online or without being fitted? How do you know if it looks good on you? How do you adjust it?

Banging head

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:43 pm
I do not get new ones twice a year. Every few years. I have 4-7 bras at a time.
I go to a department store or lingerie store to get fitted.

meme6

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:43 pm
I buy new bras once a year I buy 3 at a time so
I rotate I believe that helps. But I was told once a year is average and my girls are still frowning so they tell me when there’s are to small and we go. I buy in a jewish store.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:45 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I do not get new ones twice a year. Every few years. I have 4-7 bras at a time.
I go to a department store or lingerie store to get fitted.

Once they measure you, though, do you buy all your bras there and have them adjust them for you? Or would you buy the ones you wore before online in the correct size?

My size has been fluctuating slightly in recent years, so I do need the fit. But once I get measured, do I really need to spend $70 on every bra?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:46 pm
meme6 wrote:
I buy new bras once a year I buy 3 at a time so
I rotate I believe that helps. But I was told once a year is average and my girls are still frowning so they tell me when there’s are to small and we go. I buy in a jewish store.

That's pretty much what I do. Once a year, 3-4 new bras. I thought that made sense.

How often do you change your bras?

I also buy in a local Jewish store because I find the fit is the best. But it's just so expensive... I'd rather wait until there's a sale online and buy that way. I just don't know how to make sure I got the right fit!

meme6

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's pretty much what I do. Once a year, 3-4 new bras. I thought that made sense.

How often do you change your bras?

I also buy in a local Jewish store because I find the fit is the best. But it's just so expensive... I'd rather wait until there's a sale online and buy that way. I just don't know how to make sure I got the right fit!

So they do give good fit and personal service I have asked them for cheaper bras I don’t always need an expensive occasion bra. I change it mostly every 2-3 days depending on weather etc

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Once they measure you, though, do you buy all your bras there and have them adjust them for you? Or would you buy the ones you wore before online in the correct size?

My size has been fluctuating slightly in recent years, so I do need the fit. But once I get measured, do I really need to spend $70 on every bra?

I don't go to $70 bra places.
Each bra runs differently so I wouldn't necessarily take the measurements and buy online unless it's the same bra at a cheaper price.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

yes, I believe its really important to wear properly fitted bras. its not just about the sizing. in a frum store theyre not just measuring your size, theyre also making sure that its not squishing you too much, that your not sagging downwards or outwards. I believe that its important to get proper bras, and yes, they cost $60-70 each. I go about once a year. Just because youre a 34C doesnt mean you could get any bra at a department store that is a 34C. It needs to hold you properly as well. And people wearing not well fitted bras is so obvious and cringeworthy to me

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:57 pm
I buy when I feel they're worn out, stretched, torn, etc etc I have 4 at once and change every 2-3 days.

I buy in Jewish stores, yes the $70-$80, as I feel they fit best, help sincerely, and do alterations if needed.

I probably buy once 2 years and usually not the same size. I particularly like a certain look so online doesn't work for me.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 9:57 pm
Maybe I have it easier because im smaller (34A) but I just buy my bras in a department store, or I order a specific cut and company that I like online.
They cost between $10-30 per bra.
I have about 6 at one time, and buy more when I feel the bra has had its life, which is probably about every 2 years.
Or, I just buy more if im in the mood of some pretty, colorful new ones. But thats a total want, not a need .

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:13 pm
I buy mine locally. They told me they need to be replaced every 6 months. Think I listen? Think again. Lol.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:16 pm
I have a bunch of bra's but I keep wearing the same 2 because I like them. They're in great condition and are about 2 years old. But I did wear nursing bra's for about 8 months. I know I need new one's, I just don't have the time to go. I wear the Dominique bra's, they're about $40.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:24 pm
So I do replace around every 6 months, but I'm very big and between pregnancy/nursing/gaining weight/losing weight, etc. my size changes or they just get stretched out/worn out.
But because good ones are so expensive, I only buy 1. I wash it at night and if needed I use my most recent one as backup when I wash my main one.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Every time I go, the woman says that the bra I was wearing before is terrible. The problem is that the bras she sells are expensive, and I'd rather not spend $70 on every single bra I buy...

Then she told me that I should be getting new bras at least twice a year.

She's obviously just trying to get you to spend as much money as possible.

Unless you are very large or some very unusual size that requires special construction, I doubt you need a $70 bra.

And maybe if you wore the same bra every day, you'd need to replace it every 6 months, but if you have several in rotation, that seems excessive.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:25 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I have a bunch of bra's but I keep wearing the same 2 because I like them. They're in great condition and are about 2 years old. But I did wear nursing bra's for about 8 months. I know I need new one's, I just don't have the time to go. I wear the Dominique bra's, they're about $40.

I wear Dominique too. I’m married 8 years I’ve gotten new bras 3 times. Yes I notice I’ll fitting bras from a mile away. If they are washed and cared for well they can last longer than 6 months

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:56 pm
Good advice about caring for them.
Wear 1 day, hang 1 day, wash 1 day.
So you need at least 3 pieces.
The hanging day in between helps it go back into shape so you don’t stretch them.
Working for me so far.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:59 pm
Which store does good fittings?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:01 pm
Another Dominiquer. About $44 each. I get fitted in person. And reorder same exsct pieces online or at the local shop (same price all over), whichever is more convenient.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:02 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I buy when I feel they're worn out, stretched, torn, etc etc I have 4 at once and change every 2-3 days.

I buy in Jewish stores, yes the $70-$80, as I feel they fit best, help sincerely, and do alterations if needed.

I probably cuz once a year and usually not the same size. I particularly like a certain look so online doesn't work for me.

I buy one in the local store after getting fitted. Then I buy additional ones in that size online for 25 bucks less.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:12 am
yidisheh mama wrote:
I buy one in the local store after getting fitted. Then I buy additional ones in that size online for 25 bucks less.

The good companies are the same price in store and online.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics