Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Man with a pan s/o traditional foods
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:38 pm
In the other thread people were talking about traditional meals, and how everyone has their own traditions. I thought it would be fun for people to list what they consider to be the typical traditional old fashioned Shabbos meal.

Here is mine:
Kedem grape juice/sweet wine
White challa with or without sesame seeds with a thick crust

Gefilte fish
White fish or carp served with the gel of the fish
Chrain

Clear Chicken soup
Thin Lukshin
Served with chickpeas or radish
(Kneidel for fancy occasions)

Main:
Roast chicken
Oily potato kugel, grated by hand
Farfel
Lukshin kugel (salt and pepper or sweet)

Dessert:
Apple compote

Day meal:
Grape juice/wine
White challa
Gefilte fish/white fish/carp with gel
Chrain

Egg salad prepared with oil and raw onion
Chopped liver from meal mart
(Optional: a few cucumber rounds)

Main:
Cholent made with beans, meat, paprika and, if you're lucky, some barley.
Potato kugel which sat in the cholent pot all Shabbos
Lukshin kugel if there's any left

Dessert:
Apple compote

losingweight

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:40 pm
OP my meals look identical. Plus the dips the kids like. Dill, chumus, homemade garlic mayo, tomato to name a few

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:43 pm
I don’t think I’ve ever served that combo of traditional foods. If I ever even do potsto Kugel and chicken soup on the same night I feel like I’m unimaginative and always sort of apologize. I appreciate the tradition but I don’t grow up with it necessarily and for me I’m always looking for new recipes, new flavors, I’d be so bored Cooking the same thing every week and even more bored eating it. (Background if relevant: JPF/RW MO)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:44 pm
We made our own traditions, based on what everybody likes and feels is special for shabbos. Smile Why make foods that people aren't happy with?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:46 pm
losingweight wrote:
OP my meals look identical. Plus the dips the kids like. Dill, chumus, homemade garlic mayo, tomato to name a few

Right, so I was thinking about dips, but I realize that it's kind of a newish tradition for heimish people..I think dips are very Israeli traditional, not necessarily heimish traditional..did you grow up with dips?? Because I didn't. The only thing we had was chrain..

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I don’t think I’ve ever served that combo of traditional foods. If I ever even do potsto Kugel and chicken soup on the same night I feel like I’m unimaginative and always sort of apologize. I appreciate the tradition but I don’t grow up with it necessarily and for me I’m always looking for new recipes, new flavors, I’d be so bored Cooking the same thing every week and even more bored eating it. (Background if relevant: JPF/RW MO)

You may have missed the conversation in the original thread where the OP was confused about the Man with the Pan series, why they don't cook traditional Shabbos meals. And many people commented on that saying that everyone has different traditions and that not everyone is into traditional foods.
The point of my thread is just for fun, for people to post what they think is the most "shpitz" traditional meal. What you saw at your grandmother's house.
(I don't cook like this either Very Happy LOL )

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We made our own traditions, based on what everybody likes and feels is special for shabbos. Smile Why make foods that people aren't happy with?

Again, this is a spinoff..if you weren't on the other thread, then you are missing the context. All of that was already bandied out over there.
Im.just wondering what people's ideas of a traditional meal look like.
The menu I posted was a typical Shabbos meal for my grandmothers and my husband's grandmothers.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 10:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You may have missed the conversation in the original thread where the OP was confused about the Man with the Pan series, why they don't cook traditional Shabbos meals. And many people commented on that saying that everyone has different traditions and that not everyone is into traditional foods.
The point of my thread is just for fun, for people to post what they think is the most "shpitz" traditional meal. What you saw at your grandmother's house.
(I don't cook like this either Very Happy LOL )

Oh ok. (I did see that thread. Sorry I misunderstood here)

On Friday night Grandma served homemade challah. Carp/white fish. Chicken soup with noodles and Lima beans. Roast chicken, potato Kugel, kasha varnishkas and maybe a vegetable (Sliced carrots?) dessert was homemade marble cake, homemade sugar cookies and compote or apple sauce (homemade of course) I miss grandma! Her food was awesome and perfect!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Same! I cook the exact same meals every Shabbos but it’s what evolved to be our own traditional meal over time. I grew up with a very similar menu the op posted but I don’t make a single thing that my mother made 😀

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:08 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Oh ok. (I did see that thread. Sorry I misunderstood here)

On Friday night Grandma served homemade challah. Carp/white fish. Chicken soup with noodles and Lima beans. Roast chicken, potato Kugel, kasha varnishkas and maybe a vegetable (Sliced carrots?) dessert was homemade marble cake, homemade sugar cookies and compote or apple sauce (homemade of course) I miss grandma! Her food was awesome and perfect!

Do you mind if I ask where grandma was from? Her menu seems Eastern European, (maybe litvish), but you are calling her grandma, which is American.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:17 pm
For me personally, a Shabbos meal should have challah, 1-2 dips, 2-3 fresh salads (why does no one on here serve fresh salads?), fish, chicken soup, main + starch, and optional dessert.

Day meal is pretty much same first course, followed by cholent and dessert.

Neither DH nor I grew up with kugels so I make them very rarely.

Other than that, the ingredients are interchangeable.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you mind if I ask where grandma was from? Her menu seems Eastern European, (maybe litvish), but you are calling her grandma, which is American.

Poland. I don’t know why we called her grandma come to think of it. She was most definitely not American

Tiredmom7

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:23 pm
In may house it is t Shabbes without potato kugel and chicken soup. I have to make both even in the summer. The rest on the menu is flexible but these two are a must

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:25 pm
My family is Moroccan and literally the only food from your list that we consider traditional is challah LOL And only water challah.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:30 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
My family is Moroccan and literally the only food from your list that we consider traditional is challah LOL And only water challah.

I love Moroccan food!
What does a traditional meal look like for you?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:34 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I love Moroccan food!
What does a traditional meal look like for you?

If it's just a small family meal it would be:

Wine for Kiddush (not sweet)
Water challah
At least 10 assorted salads and dips
Moroccan fish
Steak
Cooked vegetable side dish
Possibly another meat dish like stuffed artichoke
Fruits and fruit tart for dessert

Dafina for lunch instead of the meat and vegetables

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In the other thread people were talking about traditional meals, and how everyone has their own traditions. I thought it would be fun for people to list what they consider to be the typical traditional old fashioned Shabbos meal.

Here is mine:
Kedem grape juice/sweet wine
White challa with or without sesame seeds with a thick crust

Gefilte fish
White fish or carp served with the gel of the fish
Chrain

Clear Chicken soup
Thin Lukshin
Served with chickpeas or radish
(Kneidel for fancy occasions)

Main:
Roast chicken
Oily potato kugel, grated by hand
Farfel
Lukshin kugel (salt and pepper or sweet)

Dessert:
Apple compote

Day meal:
Grape juice/wine
White challa
Gefilte fish/white fish/carp with gel
Chrain

Egg salad prepared with oil and raw onion
Chopped liver from meal mart
(Optional: a few cucumber rounds)

Main:
Cholent made with beans, meat, paprika and, if you're lucky, some barley.
Potato kugel which sat in the cholent pot all Shabbos
Lukshin kugel if there's any left

Dessert:
Apple compote

Does your family not eat vegetables?
Sorry, don’t mean to be judgy, might be the dietitian in me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:18 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Does your family not eat vegetables?
Sorry, don’t mean to be judgy, might be the dietitian in me.

I just came back to see what's going in in this thread and I am groaning because it seems like NO ONE actually read the OP. I did not say that this is MY menu and I did not ask you what is YOUR menu! I was asking what you think is considered a "traditional menu" , as in the one your grandmother would have served. This was a SPINOFF from another thread where people were talking about traditional menus, and people commented that everyone has a different idea of what that looks like.

Meanwhile, here people are responding with what their menu is or or should be. Banging head

In any case, to answer your question, MY family does eat vegetables! I don't cook this way at all! Actually, I do make many of the foods, but I am not married to this menu, and change it up often. And yes, I make salads and vegetable side dishes.
My grandmother, on the other hand, did not have a vegetable in sight, except for potatoes, if you call that a vegetable. Maybe she made stuffed cabbage sometimes, so that is a vegetable. LOL

kalsee

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:21 am
OP , cute thread!

We are litvish.

I grew up with very traditional foods too, but I don't recognize a few things from your list, I wonder if it's chassidish - chickpeas or radishes in the soup, and farfel, and onion with egg.

and potato kugel doesn't have to be by hand, liver doesn't have to be from mealmart LOL

I would add kishka to your list

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:37 am
Our grandmother was pretty similar but we always had cooked carrots ( tzimmis) definitely no farfel or compote. We had toffutti ice cream Ice cream or 7 layer cake from korns in a bakery box tied with a red and white string.
Meal mart liver was a must but ours was served on a checked lettuce leaf surrounded by a pepper ring.
Potatoes grated by hand was a must Can't Believe It
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note