Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
My duplex neighbor never takes the trash to the curb
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:11 pm
The gardner actually takes it from the backyard to the curb. We have several big trash cans. We take the empty cans back to the yard. They never take it in. We are the owners of the duplex and they rent from us. They are a kollel family... is it because the fact that we are the owners? It is also their trash šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:28 pm
I have never heard a tenant moving the garbage if the landlord lives in the home. The same way a tenant wouldnā€™t shovel snow if the landlord lives there

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The gardner actually takes it from the backyard to the curb. We have several big trash cans. We take the empty cans back to the yard. They never take it in. We are the owners of the duplex and they rent from us. They are a kollel family... is it because the fact that we are the owners? It is also their trash šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

A tenant is different than a a regular neighbor who owns the other half of the duplex.
Maybe they think its the landlords responsibility.

It would be different if your both owners or both tenants.

If you want your future tenants to do it, put it in the contract.

Communication is key

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:34 pm
I don't know how this is supposed to work exactly because I have always lived in a single family home but maybe you could:

-Ask them to take in the cans every once in a while. Maybe switch off weeks
-Designate 1, 2, however many, cans for them to deal with one their own.
-Leave them there and see what happens

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:35 pm
Yeah. Totally unacceptable in my opinion but some ppl think that because they are renting and owner lives around it becomes his responsibility!!!
Your garbage, your responsibility!!!
OP you have to designate which cans ard yours and which cans are theirs and everyone takes care of their own cans!
A little hard to put in place if they live there for a while but you can start with the next tenant!!! Wink

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:37 pm
We lived in a duplex and discussed this when we moved in. We were told we didnā€™t have to take the cans in so we didnā€™t. Just communicate about expectations

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:39 pm
I own a three family house for more than twenty five years. I have never had a tenant (and I've had some very nice ones) take the garbage cans to the curb or bring them back. It's assumed that it's the landlord's responsibility.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:40 pm
And here I am wondering what the husband's occupation has anything to do with this.

Anyway, I would assume that they think it's the landlords responsibility, similar to a building arranging someone other than the tenants to do it. If you want them to contribute just let them know. You can't expect them to read your mind.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:58 pm
Iā€™m the landlord of a two family home. We share the garbages, no designated cans for me and them. We always bring it to the curb and back. Theyā€™ve never brought it.
I guess whenever we go away they take care of it.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:59 pm
As a landlord, you have to put the tenants responsibilities in the contract. It's odd that they don't take care of their trash, but maybe they think it's not their responsibility? Do they have separate cans or share with you? You should discuss it with them.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:36 pm
We rent an apartment in a four-family house, the landlord does not live here, but there is a family who is getting a discount in rent in exchange to do what the landlord normally does, takes out and brings in garbage cans, cleans leaves in the backyard, vacuums staircase and foyer, shovels snow, deals with repairmen and meter readers. We only take care of stuff if they are away on vacation, and they would ask us to help out.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 1:56 pm
We are the tenants and we were pushing the trash to the curb but I didn't have the strength to do it after Covid and my husband was also as weak as a noodle so we told the landlord and other tenants that we could only bring back the back the empty cans. Since recovering, I have taken the trash out if it's not too heavy.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 2:24 pm
We are the tenants and we live upstairs

Weā€™ve been here about 3 years and we take it out and in every single week

Itā€™s never been discussed. But our landlords are very forgetful and I would not want them to be ā€œin chargeā€ as it would often not get done

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 2:28 pm
Iā€™m very surprised by the replies. I guess itā€™s an American thing. Iā€™m a foreigner living in the states. I assumed if we both live in the duplex and share basically everything!!!. No one would notice that we are the owners if we didnā€™t tell them since we both use the same garbage cans we would share with taking in the garage. Why is it only the garbage. They use the backyard and everything equally. But I hear you and I guess I was wrong...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 2:30 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
We are the tenants and we live upstairs

Weā€™ve been here about 3 years and we take it out and in every single week

Itā€™s never been discussed. But our landlords are very forgetful and I would not want them to be ā€œin chargeā€ as it would often not get done

If we forget to take it in they leave it on the curb or put it in the front yard next to our door..

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 2:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Iā€™m very surprised by the replies. I guess itā€™s an American thing. Iā€™m a foreigner living in the states. I assumed if we both live in the duplex and share basically everything!!!. No one would notice that we are the owners if we didnā€™t tell them since we both use the same garbage cans we would share with taking in the garage. Why is it only the garbage. They use the backyard and everything equally. But I hear you and I guess I was wrong...

You both live in the duplex but they're paying you rent. Part of renting usually includes maintenance of the property, unless specified in the contract that not.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:17 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
You both live in the duplex but they're paying you rent. Part of renting usually includes maintenance of the property, unless specified in the contract that not.

Exactly this. When we rented, the landlord employed someone to do maintenance, like shovel the snow, take the garbage cans to the curb and bring back the cans, mop the shared hallway, etc. When I lived in an owned house (not mine, my parents) there were 4 condos and everyone owned theirs, jobs were divided. One person swept the outdoor steps, one person shoveled the snow, and one person took out the garbage and brought it in. By my husband's job (shared warehouse, he owns half) he takes care of the garbage and snow removal, and the other guy takes care of utilities (husband pays half, that guy just brought down a company and takes care of the payments).
For your next tenant, you can ask them before they take them as a tenant.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:25 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Exactly this. When we rented, the landlord employed someone to do maintenance, like shovel the snow, take the garbage cans to the curb and bring back the cans, mop the shared hallway, etc. When I lived in an owned house (not mine, my parents) there were 4 condos and everyone owned theirs, jobs were divided. One person swept the outdoor steps, one person shoveled the snow, and one person took out the garbage and brought it in. By my husband's job (shared warehouse, he owns half) he takes care of the garbage and snow removal, and the other guy takes care of utilities (husband pays half, that guy just brought down a company and takes care of the payments).
For your next tenant, you can ask them before they take them as a tenant.

It doesnā€™t bother me that much. I was just wondering why they didnā€™t do it because we share all the advantages of the duplex equally. now I know why they didnā€™t take the garbage out.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:28 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
And here I am wondering what the husband's occupation has anything to do with this.

Anyway, I would assume that they think it's the landlords responsibility, similar to a building arranging someone other than the tenants to do it. If you want them to contribute just let them know. You can't expect them to read your mind.

šŸ˜‚ I was angry that they take advantage of us and donā€™t take the garbage even though they are a kollel family(we arenā€™t). I gave them the benefit of the doubt and didnā€™t ask them to do it. Now I understand that this is our/the landlord responsibility.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
šŸ˜‚ I was angry that they take advantage of us and donā€™t take the garbage even though they are a kollel family(we arenā€™t). I gave them the benefit of the doubt and didnā€™t ask them to do it. Now I understand that this is our/the landlord responsibility.

Where does being a kollel family come in here? Why do you think kollel families take advantage of others?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette