Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
My duplex neighbor never takes the trash to the curb
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:35 pm
Why don't you share what state you are in? Our opinions are worthless without facts.

ETA, in the Midwest, where I live, only homeowners get a bill for trash. Were you looking at their bill or your own? Are you considered the owner of their part too? Do you both pay for the same garbage bins that you seems to be sharing? Does the city get double for the same job?

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want them to share the responsibility because they also use the trash.

That’s not how most laws work

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Maybe get them a separate can that's only for their trash and they should take care of it. They shouldn't have to be taking care of your trash. By us we all have our own bins and everyone takes care of their own garbage.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They pay you for goodness sake. That's their part in the garbage...

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Maybe get them a separate can that's only for their trash and they should take care of it. They shouldn't have to be taking care of your trash. By us we all have our own bins and everyone takes care of their own garbage.

We have several cans. They can take few and we can take few. Because we both use it. I’m just wondering about it.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
They pay you for goodness sake. That's their part in the garbage...

They pay me for the apartment not for serving them

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This is part of being a landlord.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We have several cans. They can take few and we can take few. Because we both use it. I’m just wondering about it.

So just ask them to do it. This whole thread is bizarre IMO. Everyone keeps saying the same thing and you just keep repeating that they should do it too. No, it's not a given that they should do it.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:54 pm
Never mind that this is only about bringing empty bins back into the yard. No one is actually dragging out full bins.

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They should have a designated can that only they use and take care of. If it's not on the contract that they have to take care of the trash, there's nothing much you can do.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not so accurate. Unless you specified in the contract a renter who pays the landlord money for their property, should assume they are getting renters benefits (owning a home comes with certain responsibilities like snow/garbage removal etc, but with a benefit of owning your home, and "paying yourself instead")

Another benefit renters usually have is not needing to take care of repairs etc, altho that comes with the drawback of not being allowed to make any changes/renovations either. (Again, even that can be different if before entering the agreement it was clear to both sides. I know of someone who was happy with that arrangement since it came with a low renters fee.)

To claim that you are equals when they are paying you, is just plain wrong...

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 11:25 pm
I think the trash is the landlords responsibility. But have you asked them about taking turns or splitting the cans? Did they refuse? Or you never even mentioned anything and just want them to realize on their own to help out?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 5:20 pm
Quote:
We live OOT. Dh said in New York the landlord is responsible to take out the trash but not in our state. He doesn’t have proof for it but he said our tenant pays for the trash on their electric bill so they are responsible to take it out also. What do you think?

That doesn't make sense. That's like saying the tenant pays for their own electricity so if there's any wiring issue they should take care of it. Nope. As the landlord, you're in charge of having electricians come out.

As the landlord, you have a responsibility to make sure everything is running smoothly and in order. Garbage cans being made available for your tenants (by putting them out and bringing them in) is just one aspect of this.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 5:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dh said the tenant pays for trash removal on his electric bill. The bill is electric& trash for everyone here. I just looked at the bill.

If they pay you for trash removal why are you making them remove the trash they already paid to have removed? You sound very hung up on this.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette