Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hypothyroidism

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 2:54 pm
My newborn may have hypothyroidism, very stressed out about this. Anyone else have babies with this? Is it something to be concerned about? What does it mean? How does it affect them? Are they overall healthy?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:17 pm
Hi yeah I totally get you I have a child with it and it was diagnosed when she was newborn with healprick test? What makes you think she may have it? Sometimes it takes a newborn time to regulate the thyroid by en they did three blood tests to see if number were going up

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:20 pm
Bh my child is developing normally she has been quicker then all my others in her development Bh!! Besides her medication she needs to take once a day she is no different in any way! The medication is important that they they take as specially in the first years the development is crucial for child!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 4:12 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Hi yeah I totally get you I have a child with it and it was diagnosed when she was newborn with healprick test? What makes you think she may have it? Sometimes it takes a newborn time to regulate the thyroid by en they did three blood tests to see if number were going up

Yeah my baby has had 3 tests and gonna get another one next week to just confirm. It’s not going up but the dr still not happy with it.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 4:35 pm
My son has congenital hypothyroidism. It's no big deal. As my pediatrician said " lf a child has to be born with something, let it be this." Simple daily inexpensive medication, no side effects, and a happy child! He's completely normal, no issues, and doing well! Don't stress yourself about it.
(As a side note, for some children it's a temporary condition. We will be trialing my child off meds soon)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:39 am
Now the doctor said she wants me to get my thyroid tested to see if I have antibodies which can affect the baby’s blood. So stressful this

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 4:34 am
My brother was born with congenital hypothyroidism, also diagnosed as a newborn. It barely affects his life at all other than needing to take synthetic thyroid hormone and some visits to an endocrinologist. The trickiest time is puberty in order to figure out the correct dose. Now he is a grown man with children of his own and none of them have hypothyroidism.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:05 am
BH wonderful thyroid replacement/supplement options exist. You'll need a good pediatric endo who will NOT go by TSH alone but also by how much thyroid hormone (the hormones T3 and T4) are actually circulating through your child's blood.
I don't know much about ped. thyroid but some good books on hypothyroidism are The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Ridha Arem and Living Well with Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon.
Make sure you have access to all labs, either hard copies or through the doctor's portal. (Or hospital: I get my labs done at a hospital lab.)

Mazel tov!

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:40 am
My bro was born with this. He's 25 now, has not affected his life at all. Just takes Synthroid.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:06 am
My 5 year old was born with hypothyroidism too. He is off synthroid now and doing well without it B"H.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:42 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
BH wonderful thyroid replacement/supplement options exist. You'll need a good pediatric endo who will NOT go by TSH alone but also by how much thyroid hormone (the hormones T3 and T4) are actually circulating through your child's blood.
I don't know much about ped. thyroid but some good books on hypothyroidism are The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Ridha Arem and Living Well with Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon.
Make sure you have access to all labs, either hard copies or through the doctor's portal. (Or hospital: I get my labs done at a hospital lab.)

Mazel tov!

I actually discussed his with our pediatric endo and they said that T3 is irrelevant, congenital hypothyroidism is different than adult hypothyroidism. I don't remember all the specifics of why.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 5:31 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I actually discussed his with our pediatric endo and they said that T3 is irrelevant, congenital hypothyroidism is different than adult hypothyroidism. I don't remember all the specifics of why.

Interesting. Good to know. I don't know good sources for info for congenital. But the two I mentioned are big names in hypoT so they may well have info on congenital.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:23 pm
Or endocrinologist always checked for free t3 and free t4.

mmyy

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:36 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
My son has congenital hypothyroidism. It's no big deal. As my pediatrician said " lf a child has to be born with something, let it be this." Simple daily inexpensive medication, no side effects, and a happy child! He's completely normal, no issues, and doing well! Don't stress yourself about it.
(As a side note, for some children it's a temporary condition. We will be trialing my child off meds soon)

I had my pediatric saying the same thing!
BH my dd is now 7 and beside a dose of levothyroxine once a day and a blood work once in 3 month to confirm doses are correct there is nothing we need to do, she is a smart happy kid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics