Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
5th grade DS internet searches

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 6:47 pm
I noticed my son is doing Google image searches. Nothing concerning bh but I don't want his curiosity to get the better of him. Is it better to

1) block images completely and discuss it with him
2) let him know that the filter notifies me of his searches and I trust that he is responsible
3) something else

behappy2

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 6:49 pm
Explain to him that the internet is a tool. It can be used for good and bad, and he is too young to have full access to this tool. I would get a filter and lock the computer.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 6:57 pm
behappy2 wrote:
Explain to him that the internet is a tool. It can be used for good and bad, and he is too young to have full access to this tool. I would get a filter and lock the computer.

This. He is too young to have self control

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 6:58 pm
In my opinion he's too young to have unfiltered free unsupervised access. Why is he on the internet? I would only allow internet time at that age for specific purposes. Randomly surfing the net shouldn't be one of them. So if he's playing games that are approved, writing something for school, researching something for school, using a specific program etc...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:03 pm
Definitely have a discussion about the problems with content available on the internet. And yes, let him know that the filter will notify you. I would also keep the computer right in the middle of the busiest room in the house and have a password to log on.

This is not for religious reasons specifically, it's just responsible parenting for a preteen.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:07 pm
IMO treat it like a loaded weapon. It takes one search of [filth] to scar him for life. He can get hooked in 2 seconds and cause so much harm. Please please remember that these images will stay in his mind forever.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:12 pm
Whoever hugged me- If you think trusting a 10 year old child to an unfiltered computer unsupervised... I’d like to have a talk with you please.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children