Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Hospital not treating Covid- correct thing to do?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:15 am
I have an elderly uncle in the hospital on Iv for a few infections.
He caught Covid while he is there.
So it’s been two days since he was diagnosed.
He feels fine no temperature lungs are clear.
His O2 was 95 but this morning was 90.
They said that there is nothing to do but wait it out.
Anyone know who I could speak to to ask if they are just not being aggressive enough or it’s the correct plan of action? Should they be giving him something for it or the abx would be enough? Not sure what he is on.

SYA

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:16 am
What state? City?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone know who I could speak to to ask if they are just not being aggressive enough or it’s the correct plan of action? Should they be giving him something for it or the abx would be enough? Not sure what he is on.

Sure there are regimens to give. And that’s where people are mad hospitals are igonoring them. Fight for it which hospital is he in

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:25 am
SYA wrote:
What state? City?

NY, He is in the hospital in the Bronx

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:26 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Sure there are regimens to give. And that’s where people are mad hospitals are igonoring them. Fight for it which hospital is he in

Calvary in the Bronx

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Calvary in the Bronx

Find out if there’s a Jewish asken involved there or speak to people maybe he can be transferred out

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This patient should immediately be treated by giving him antibodies. This needs to be done in the first few days of infection.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:44 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Find out if there’s a Jewish asken involved there or speak to people maybe he can be transferred out

He might not be able to because of insurance.
Anyone know who I should call?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Call Chaim Medical for direction and advocacy ASAP. 845-492-8700
Refuah Shelaima!

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:52 am
Could they give him plasma?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 12:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Call Chaim Medical for direction and advocacy ASAP. 845-492-8700
Refuah Shelaima!

Thank you will call them.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Could they give him plasma?

They said no. They don’t want to treat it because he is getting antibiotics anyway so that should help.
I would like to speak to someone and find out if that is correct or should they be more aggressive with it.

rakcna

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 12:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Calvary in the Bronx

Calvary Hospital is typically an inpatient hospice facility. Is the patient on hospice? If so that can impact what treatments he is eligible to receive, strictly by the nature of how hospice works. Typically, individuals who sign on to hospice do not get curative treatments, but they are eligible for comfort measures and palliative care. It is definitely conceivable that an individual who is receiving hospice care would not be "treated for Covid-19", although they would be eligible for oxygen and other measures to make them more comfortable.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 12:43 pm
rakcna wrote:
Calvary Hospital is typically an inpatient hospice facility. Is the patient on hospice? If so that can impact what treatments he is eligible to receive, strictly by the nature of how hospice works. Typically, individuals who sign on to hospice do not get curative treatments, but they are eligible for comfort measures and palliative care. It is definitely conceivable that an individual who is receiving hospice care would not be "treated for Covid-19", although they would be eligible for oxygen and other measures to make them more comfortable.

So he shouldn’t be on hospice because he isn’t dying he needs long term abx and that’s is where the hospital he was in before transferred him to because that’s where insurance will cover. He only has a UTI.
He is hoping to get better and go home. He can’t walk and is in a wheelchair but all his vitals are normal and he has all his faculties.
There is no reason to think he can’t live many more years.
That’s why this is all so frustrating.

rakcna

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So he shouldn’t be on hospice because he isn’t dying he needs long term abx and that’s is where the hospital he was in before transferred him to because that’s where insurance will cover. He only has a UTI.
He is hoping to get better and go home. He can’t walk and is in a wheelchair but all his vitals are normal and he has all his faculties.
There is no reason to think he can’t live many more years.
That’s why this is all so frustrating.

Okay. I was just clarifying. It is possible that Calvary is taking non hospice patients at this time, although that seems unusual.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 12:59 pm
You need to insist on getting him monoclonal antibody treatment ASAP. I know numerous people who this has helped tremendously and their doctors said they would have been worse off without it. The antibody treatment has nothing to do with antibiotics, he can be on both at the same time.

Check this link for information: https://www.covidplasmasavealife.com/
Email them and they will get back to you. They were very helpful with a lot of information.

My husband is high risk and when he tested positive, we walked into a hospital that offered the antibody treatment. It took a few hours and he was done. He was in bad shape before then and after the treatment, BH his symptoms subsided and were much more mild after that. If he's already in a hospital, maybe they can have the treatment sent over, it's one IV bag. Is there any other way to have him leave the hospital to go to one of the hospitals on the list offering the treatment?

Edited to add: the antibody treatment is supposed to be given within 72 hours of onset of symptoms or a positive test. The initiative keeps telling high risk people not to wait until they get worse to get the treatment because then it won't be as effective.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:08 pm
Calvar is definitely a hospice facility. He would not have been admitted if he did not sign paperwork acknowledging same. It is strictly for palliative care and that is why he was sent there. They would not have admitted him in the first place if he did not qualify for hospice and end of life care.

jflower

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:16 pm
Does your uncle have a health care proxy who is making health-related decisions?

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:19 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Calvar is definitely a hospice facility. He would not have been admitted if he did not sign paperwork acknowledging same. It is strictly for palliative care and that is why he was sent there. They would not have admitted him in the first place if he did not qualify for hospice and end of life care.

This.

There is apparently something going on that you're not aware of.

Does someone in your family have a medical POA, so that you can get more complete answers as to whether he is actually receiving hospice care (and why), and what other treatments he might be able to receive if he were not in hospice. Please understand that there is a limited supply of certain treatments, so not everyone receives it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:30 pm
rakcna wrote:
Okay. I was just clarifying. It is possible that Calvary is taking non hospice patients at this time, although that seems unusual.

Yes that’s what they said because of Covid.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics