Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tampa or North Miami??
1  2  3  Next

mirelcakes

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 12:58 pm
I currently live in Monsey, NY. We live in a small 2 bedroom apartment. Things are becoming stressful since it's small and we really want to move to a house, does not have to be a huge house, but something decent with some property of our own. Unfortunately, the housing in Monsey is crazy along with the increasing taxes. We do not want to borrow money from people as that it's is own separate stressor. We are a chassidish family that sends to a neutral chassidish school (my background is heimish so I drive....). My husband and I search and search for other chassidish communities elsewhere. Everything we find is either too strict I.e. satmar or not chassidish at all. We are not moving away from Monsey because of frumkeit, we are very happy with our lifestyle, but rather because we need a more relaxing life. No matter how much we earn it's never enough in New York. We are looking into Tampa, Fl because it's sounds like it can be for us but we have NO info. We also don't mind North Miami but we are trying to see how that can work for a chassidishish lifestyle. We heard about YES (yeshiva elementary). We are so lost. Anyone can help to let us know communities that will fit a chassidish people with an open mind? Again not looking to change levush or things like that...just need to see what else is out there aside from Monsey!!!

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:04 pm
No one in north miami minds if you're chassidish. But you won't have a community there. And your kids are probably going to need some catching up in secular studies.

mirelcakes

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:10 pm
So secular studies I'm not worried about because my oldest is 5 and I am very academically aware...I have a couple of Master degrees. I don't mind not having chassidish neighbors and such. I just want to know if there is a very bais Yaakov type there. In YES let's say are there moms who wear short sleeves......?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:14 pm
There's a regular Bais Yaakov in North Miami Beach.
Do you want Tausig's email address regarding Tampa?
Floridamove2021@gmail.com

mirelcakes

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:17 pm
I wear falls, no hair out, and diff lengths sheitlach...nothing very long though. I am definitely more flexible because I did not grow up Chassidish and never changed when I got married. My husband wears polos but absolutely has front peyos which he will never cut. We are not interested in changing as we are content with who we are but Monsey and surrounding areas is getting very difficult financially wise. So Tampa sounds interesting because it's located in nice weather, in our budget, and has the chassidish flare. However, I know no one who is moving there.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:23 pm
Another thread mentioned Milwaukee - I would definitely look into that. I have heard wonderful things about the rav, shul and community

mirelcakes

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
There's a regular Bais Yaakov in North Miami Beach.
Do you want Tausig's email address regarding Tampa?
Floridamove2021@gmail.com

Do you know the type of bais Yaakov? We went down there for a little and heard that the bais Yaakov starts in 6th grade and people send to other schools like YES for lower elementary. We only have cholov yisroel, we dress tznius I.e. I wear appropriate length skirts...., I don't need everyone to be like us. We are a wonderful blended family. However, I don't want it to be uncomfortable for my kids to have there totty wear a beketshe, shtreimel, and I keep covered.....oy so confusing. I really wish Monsey would work out. We try and try but real estate here is ridiculous. We are hard working but we want to enjoy our family. Play frisbee with the kids and have a bbq without the neighbors staring at us

bernadette

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:26 pm
Hi neighbor!
I would love to move out of Monsey! The same problem: Satmar is not for us and we are not interested in a non chassidish lifestyle.
There is nothing for us out of Monsey-Brooklyn. In my situation, I don’t think it pays to trade Monsey for Lakewood.
We made the decision to make it work over here. Our school situation is very good here: my boys go to the Cheder associated with my husband’s chassidus and my girls attend the same school I attended 25 years ago. My school has shifted to the right, however, since I’m an old timer, they won’t make me problems with driving, not being so chassidish etc. A smart phone has become a problem that I have to solve. I wonder if we have became outcasts as we are not so chassidish and Monsey has been getting more and more chassidish...
We did borrow money from friends and BH, when we redid the mortgage, we got a cash out and we payed back. But it’s still very hard financially! Expenses are only going up.
I don’t have any advice for you but I wish u much hatzlacha!

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:28 pm
What about staten Island

mirelcakes

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:33 pm
studying_torah wrote:
What about staten Island

We don't want city lifestyle (I know it's less than willi amd bp). We might as well stay in Monsey. That's also why Lakewood totally not interesting for us Also, my husband prefers warmer weather.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:36 pm
mirelcakes wrote:
We don't want city lifestyle (I know it's less than willi amd bp). We might as well stay in Monsey. That's also why Lakewood totally not interesting for us Also, my husband prefers warmer weather.

Unrelated to chasidus but genuine question: what does a city lifestyle mean? (Or what does it mean to you?) meaning Monsey to me is SO suburban and definitely not a city lifestyle. Do you mean you’re done with NY and want an OOT community? (That I get)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:37 pm
mirelcakes wrote:
Do you know the type of bais Yaakov? We went down there for a little and heard that the bais Yaakov starts in 6th grade and people send to other schools like YES for lower elementary. We only have cholov yisroel, we dress tznius I.e. I wear appropriate length skirts...., I don't need everyone to be like us. We are a wonderful blended family. However, I don't want it to be uncomfortable for my kids to have there totty wear a beketshe, shtreimel, and I keep covered.....oy so confusing. I really wish Monsey would work out. We try and try but real estate here is ridiculous. We are hard working but we want to enjoy our family. Play frisbee with the kids and have a bbq without the neighbors staring at us

It's grades 6-12.

mirelcakes

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:38 pm
bernadette wrote:
Hi neighbor!
I would love to move out of Monsey! The same problem: Satmar is not for us and we are not interested in a non chassidish lifestyle.
There is nothing for us out of Monsey-Brooklyn. In my situation, I don’t think it pays to trade Monsey for Lakewood.
We made the decision to make it work over here. Our school situation is very good here: my boys go to the Cheder associated with my husband’s chassidus and my girls attend the same school I attended 25 years ago. My school has shifted to the right, however, since I’m an old timer, they won’t make me problems with driving, not being so chassidish etc. A smart phone has become a problem that I have to solve. I wonder if we have became outcasts as we are not so chassidish and Monsey has been getting more and more chassidish...
We did borrow money from friends and BH, when we redid the mortgage, we got a cash out and we payed back. But it’s still very hard financially! Expenses are only going up.
I don’t have any advice for you but I wish u much hatzlacha!

Yup...I definitely hear. We don't want to leave chassidish lifestyle, my girls school is great here in Monsey, family and friends are all here. But where else do I go from a 4 room apartment? I have a neighbor that just had baby #5 in our size apartment. Taxes are crazy...we would want in the $515,000- range but not with taxes $18,000 that just keeps getting higher. Because my kids are still young it is worth for us to look elsewhere..but there are no places!! We have good jobs but it's never enough. My husband works works work and he hates that he does not have time to spend with the kids. We want some property too. Just a little place to call our own without hearing noise from neighbors and kids looking into our windows.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:39 pm
I heard that in north miami a chasidish cheder is opening up . Don't have any info though
Good luck with whatever you decide!

mirelcakes

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:41 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Unrelated to chasidus but genuine question: what does a city lifestyle mean? (Or what does it mean to you?) meaning Monsey to me is SO suburban and definitely not a city lifestyle. Do you mean you’re done with NY and want an OOT community? (That I get)

So back in the day Monsey was suburban. Currently, you can't compare Monsey to BP and Willi but Monsey definitely changed. There is no land, there are tons of multi family houses, traffic, a rush in the air. Biggest thing is pricing. Condos even are going for crazy prices. $800+. True Monsey is not the city but we want a more relaxed lifestyle.

mirelcakes

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:44 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

There are some areas in Monsey that are very suburban. Airmont, pomona, new new Hempstead. Airmont: high taxes, keeps going up and up if any renevations
Pomona/Pomona Heights: not for us lifestyle wise
New Hempstead: houses available but near new square and it will not work for us to live in the mile.

mirelcakes

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:44 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I heard that in north miami a chasidish cheder is opening up . Don't have any info though
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you!! IyH the Eibeshter will lead us to the right direction.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:50 pm
mirelcakes wrote:
So secular studies I'm not worried about because my oldest is 5 and I am very academically aware...I have a couple of Master degrees. I don't mind not having chassidish neighbors and such. I just want to know if there is a very bais Yaakov type there. In YES let's say are there moms who wear short sleeves......?

Yes there will be mothers who wear short sleeves. Not the majority but they exist.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:53 pm
YES is an amazing school with all types

mirelcakes

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:58 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Yes there will be mothers who wear short sleeves. Not the majority but they exist.

I appreciate when there are differences in the community. That's what makes yiddishkeit beautiful. My husband and I are firm believers that chinuch is most important in the home. There are many kids who went to chassidish schools and went OTD. Nothing is a guarantee. That's why we are open to the idea. I just don't want to stand out and have it weird for our daughters to have a chassidishishish lifestyle and be made fun of. We don't care if they speak yiddish in school. I myself went to a regular bais Yaakov (I come from a heimish background) and happened to marry a chassidish boy. Who would think?!! But I never changed and neither did my husband. We know our standards and have a wonderful life that blends beautifully. I just wonder if the kids there (and families) appreciate differences and blend well as a community?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating