Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Squint but perfect vision ?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:57 pm
Toddler is squinting every so often (apx 2-3 times a day sometimes more, no pattern noted) but seems to see just fine
To be on safe side took to eye doctor who said everything looks perfect vision/eyes
Could not explain squint and toddler doesn't talk much so can't explain what's bothering
Anyone have any ideas ? Or more knowledgeable eye doc monsey area?
TIA

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Toddler is squinting every so often (apx 2-3 times a day sometimes more, no pattern noted) but seems to see just fine
To be on safe side took to eye doctor who said everything looks perfect vision/eyes
Could not explain squint and toddler doesn't talk much so can't explain what's bothering
Anyone have any ideas ? Or more knowledgeable eye doc monsey area?
TIA

Could be stigmatism or just sensitivity to light. Toddler sunglasses?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:10 am
What color eyes does your child have?

People with lighter eyes are much more sensitive to light. It has nothing to do with vision, it's another reflex action.

Take your child from a somewhat dark room directly into a sunlit area, and watch what happens.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:50 am
Did you go to an ophthalmologist?
My 6 month old used to squint and turn his head to see. I took him to the eye doctor and he didn’t get glasses right away. I was told he’s fine but come back in 3 months. I did and again I was told he’s fine but come back in 3 months. This time he got glasses.
Make sure you go back. He may not have a strong enough prescription to need glasses yet but it could still get there.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:46 am
Is he watching videos or having a lot of screen time? That causes squinting

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:33 am
Go to an ophthalmologist not an optometrist Have his eyes fully dialated. It can be many things like cataracts, structural issues etc. and should be looked at by an MD.

ice coffee

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:42 pm
Does he or she have bangs? If they are too long, they can scratch the eyes. I’ve had this experience

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 5:35 pm
Could be a tic

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 5:40 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Could be a tic

This. When my son was doing it my doctor wanted to send him to a neurologist. Bh he stopped doing it. We think he was copying someone and eventually forgot about it bh.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 6:53 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
What color eyes does your child have?

People with lighter eyes are much more sensitive to light. It has nothing to do with vision, it's another reflex action.

Take your child from a somewhat dark room directly into a sunlit area, and watch what happens.

Interesting! I have very dark brown eyes (almost black) and can’t open my eyes when I’m in the sun. I use very thick good sunglasses when driving or I wouldn’t be able to open my eyes. But It seems as though I’m an anomaly!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics