Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Each generation better?
Previous  1  2

singleagain

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 10:41 am
simcha2 wrote:
People have been complaining about younger generations forever

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

(Socrates- who live 2400 years ago)

Disclaimer voice to text

This! I have to say on a whole I don't think humanity has changed that much.

If you look in the ruins of Pompeii you'll see the same graffiti that people scribble around today

I have seen people scan in old newspapers with captions that say the spirit under the internet was alive 120 years ago

old photographs are the same kind of things that people take today except in some ways it was worse even the selfie culture oil paintings come on

The main difference between years ago and today is that today there is a lot more communication which is both good and bad good because medical mysteries don't have to remain so mysterious and stuff if you can contact doctors around the world and see that hey this is a thing that's not just local and bad because you know too much spread of misinformation and stuff

But people are people and there are good people and bad people in every generation

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 10:44 am
Simple1 wrote:
Life was better before smartphones.

Did you ever try and drive a car without a GPS? LOL

I've been an adult with and without smartphones (or fast internet) and I think I prefer life with them. Of course, any medium can be abused - without the printing press we would have [filth] or mein kampf but it can also be used for immense good. Do you want to break up all technology?

Social media can be used for good and bad.

I do think people are just a lot more aware and knowledgable about things nowadays. But there is also so much misinformation. People are both good and bad and in between just like they have always been.

Levv

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:42 pm
I think technology has ruined this generation and makes parenting a whole lot more difficult.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:49 pm
Everyone from the older generation thinks that the generations get worse.
Everyone from the younger generation thinks that the generations get better.
Being on the cusp edge of millennial/gen z, I honestly have no thoughts on the matter other than gen z sucks because they’re the reason for PAPER STRAWS.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 12:24 am
Yeridat hadorot is not a universal concept, y'all. Smile It's one of several opinions in the Talmud, all equally acceptable.

For myself: I see people changing, but I don't see them necessarily getting better or worse. Just different. I think that's necessary, that each generation needs to be different in order to shape its particular job in the world.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:37 am
honeymoon wrote:
I'm not sure if you are asking about generations in general or within the framework of Judaism. But either way its not so black and white. In many areas, our generation would make the previous generation turn in their graves in shame of what has become of their descendants. In other areas I can see them applauding us for all the ways we have improved and learnt from their mistakes.

I was asking from both perspectives. The reason for my question was because I watched a dumb kids movie and in the end you see the point of the movie which is that the next/younger generation is better than the adults. I completely disagree. Not that each has to offer, but not necessarily better. I wanted to know what others thought.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:55 am
yo'ma wrote:
I was asking from both perspectives. The reason for my question was because I watched a dumb kids movie and in the end you see the point of the movie which is that the next/younger generation is better than the adults. I completely disagree. Not that each has to offer, but not necessarily better. I wanted to know what others thought.

Curious what movie?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:04 am
singleagain wrote:
Curious what movie?

We can be heroes

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:06 am
yo'ma wrote:
We can be heroes

That looks adorable I'm going to have to watch it and then I'll get back to you
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics