Home

Rabbit - is it a good idea? and how to go about it?
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:08 pm
We have 4 kids and they all want a pet! DH and I really are not into pets, but if any, I would get rabbits. I feel like if I get a pet, I want it to be cute, so that would be a dog, a cat or a rabbit for me.

We have a 3 bedroom apt with a large living room and space, size about 4 sq m. After doing research, I have been thinking that they would either have their space in the living room or this space. The problem is, the living room is very lively and this small space is pretty dark. Is it ok if they stay in there for the most part of a weekday, in a darkish space? Or do they need light? Will I have to install additional light jn there?

I keep hearing that living outside is better for them but an apartment works too...
We would let them out to play jn other rooms too, of course...

Next, what did you do about spaying? Did you get an already spayed/neutered animal or is there a loophole how to have them spayed while you own them?
We want to have a boy and a girl, is it enough to just spay a boy or should both be fixed?

Do you touch your bunnies on shabbes? I heard so many conflicting opinions about it.
Back to top

Zehava




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:11 pm
Don’t do it if you’re not into pets. Really don’t.
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:13 pm
Zehava wrote:
Don’t do it if you’re not into pets. Really don’t.

Echoing this. A pet, even a caged pet, is something you MUST really want. Not just your kids. I am a pet lover and owner and I promise you, if you are doing it just for your kids, you will deeply regret it.
Back to top

amother




Azure
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:14 pm
Rabbits are not fun pets for first time pet owners. Many have biting temprements and don't like being held. Kids tire of them pretty fast. Cat or dog is much easier to go smoothly. Cats are easiest. Certain breeds like cuddling others like playing.

Every one I know who got a rabbit got rid of it within about a year.
Back to top

Success10




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:19 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Rabbits are not fun pets for first time pet owners. Many have biting temprements and don't like being held. Kids tire of them pretty fast. Cat or dog is much easier to go smoothly. Cats are easiest. Certain breeds like cuddling others like playing.

Every one I know who got a rabbit got rid of it within about a year.


The above is very true. Our bunny lasted a week and a half at hour house. She was a biter. And kids were not so into it. Such dull animals. Sorry to all the bunny lovers out there, but cats are much smarter, and more affectionate. But they are very moody and destroy your furniture for kicks. Dogs are about as much work as another child. So take your pick.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:20 pm
Rabbits are not meant to be house pets. They can get depressed and die if they don't have enough space to run around. A big cage is not enough. If you have room outside and if the bunny will be taken out and given room to run, then maybe. But really not a good idea.
Keep in mind that they grow very big and eat you out of a ton of produce! Smile

We have a guinea pig that's obviously smaller and it still grew nice and big and eats a lot of produce along her with pellets and hay! It's like feeding another child. Smile
Bedding, hay and pellets need to be bought every 2 weeks. Bedding needs to be cleaned and replaced every other day. That means scooping up poop and urine and throwing out a bagful. Fresh pellets and hay need to be replaced each morning. Fresh produce a few times a day. Water bottle needs to be replenished every few days. And washed out every week.
Guinea pigs are very cuddly. They love to be held and massaged. They live about 8 years.

Are you ready for such a commitment?
Back to top

Siriusly?




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:23 pm
Fully agree with Zehava and watergirl - as much as your kids beg and you think it could be cute, it's not worth it if you're not into it - it's a real commitment that may be fun and new in the beginning, but you will come to regret it.

Azure, not sure where you're getting your info, but I know several very happy rabbit owners (including myself). While it's true that many rabbits don't enjoy being forced to sit still and be petted for a large amount of time, they absolutely love playing, and kids love that. After tiring themselves out playing, most rabbits will lay quietly and enjoy a rub too. Also, if your rabbit is biting, you're doing something wrong.
It is true though that cats are probably the lowest-maintenance pet to get.
Back to top

amother




Firebrick
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:25 pm
I wouldn't get a rabbit. If you let them wander around the house freely, they leave those brown pellets everywhere, which is pretty gross. And if you leave them in a cage or small dark enclosed area for 20 hours out of 24 hours a day - well, that is incredibly cruel. Tza'ar ba'alei chaim doesn't begin to describe it.

As others said, only adopt a pet if you are really into pets.

I have had rabbits, cats and dogs and each one comes with its own challenges. But a rabbit was our big mistake. They are not that much fun, so after a few weeks the kids tire of playing with them, and you need a large area for them to run around or it's plain cruel.

Cats - only adopt if you don't mind in the least if they climb your counters/ couch/table. And if some family members enjoy cuddling with them.

Dog- a lot of work, but for us was the best. Our dog doesn't climb where he's not allowed, and he's a good companion.
Back to top

Siriusly?




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:32 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I wouldn't get a rabbit. If you let them wander around the house freely, they leave those brown pellets everywhere, which is pretty gross. And if you leave them in a cage or small dark enclosed area for 20 hours out of 24 hours a day - well, that is incredibly cruel. Tza'ar ba'alei chaim doesn't begin to describe it.

As others said, only adopt a pet if you are really into pets.

I have had rabbits, cats and dogs and each one comes with its own challenges. But a rabbit was our big mistake. They are not that much fun, so after a few weeks the kids tire of playing with them, and you need a large area for them to run around or it's plain cruel.

Cats - only adopt if you don't mind in the least if they climb your counters/ couch/table. And if some family members enjoy cuddling with them.

Dog- a lot of work, but for us was the best. Our dog doesn't climb where he's not allowed, and he's a good companion.


Just saying, this issue is easily solvable by litter training your rabbit. It's so easy and so effective. Most people are unaware that rabbits are actually highly intelligent animals and can interact really well with humans - kids included. They can be trained to perform all sorts of tricks etc...
OP - if you decide you are 100% ready for the commitment, you can pm me for more rabbit info.
Back to top

amother




Firebrick
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:34 pm
Siriusly? wrote:
Just saying, this issue is easily solvable by litter training your rabbit. It's so easy and so effective. Most people are unaware that rabbits are actually highly intelligent animals and can interact really well with humans - kids included. They can be trained to perform all sorts of tricks etc...
OP - if you decide you are 100% ready for the commitment, you can pm me for more rabbit info.


We tried, believe me. We read all there is on the internet. It's not that easy for everyone. We certainly didn't succeed.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:42 pm
Success10 wrote:
The above is very true. Our bunny lasted a week and a half at hour house. She was a biter. And kids were not so into it. Such dull animals. Sorry to all the bunny lovers out there, but cats are much smarter, and more affectionate. But they are very moody and destroy your furniture for kicks. Dogs are about as much work as another child. So take your pick.


Thank you! My pick is another child... We are ttc for ages and I feel like if we had a baby, they would stop wanting pets.
The more I read about bunnies, the more I wanted to have one, but we were not actively dying to get one...

PS: Before you judge, we want a baby for real and not as a "pet" but kids definitely want something feel like both options would be something cute to play with...
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:48 pm
Siriusly? wrote:
Just saying, this issue is easily solvable by litter training your rabbit. It's so easy and so effective. Most people are unaware that rabbits are actually highly intelligent animals and can interact really well with humans - kids included. They can be trained to perform all sorts of tricks etc...
OP - if you decide you are 100% ready for the commitment, you can pm me for more rabbit info.


My friend had a therapy bunny. That rabbit was almost human, loved her to pieces, and it lived for a good decade.

But many domesticated bunnies are, unfortunately, boring. You have to pick the curious one out of the crowd.


Regarding cats and countertops - there are plenty of ways to train that out of them too. Our own Elfrida had the best tip though: cover your counters/table with upside down aluminium pans every night for two weeks. The cats will never touch your counters again.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:51 pm
Rappel wrote:
...
Regarding cats and countertops - there are plenty of ways to train that out of them too. Our own Elfrida had the best tip though: cover your counters/table with upside down aluminium pans every night for two weeks. The cats will never touch your counters again.

You can also spray them with water when they jump up on surfaces, but it doesn't always work to train them not to do it permanently.
Back to top

twizzlers1




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:51 pm
We have had a number of pets and we found the bunnies to be the most difficult to care for. Their cages get dirty really fast And no one really wanted to do it. Luckily we were able to find it a good home. We have a cat and I find them to be the best animals for kids and the easiest to care for. They are very easy to litter box train. I grew up with dogs but I'm really loving having a cat. She really does love everyone although she does need time alone too.The only way I get my 6-year-old to get up in the morning is to bring her in to cuddle with him. Obviously not encouraging you to get any animal that you don't want and can't take care of but just saying what animal was the best for us after trying a few
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! My pick is another child... We are ttc for ages and I feel like if we had a baby, they would stop wanting pets.
The more I read about bunnies, the more I wanted to have one, but we were not actively dying to get one...

PS: Before you judge, we want a baby for real and not as a "pet" but kids definitely want something feel like both options would be something cute to play with...


Ah.

I know so many people whom took on a puppy/kitten right when they were TTC/early pregnant. They were following their instincts, and guided by their hormones. As soon as a real baby was born though, any love or enjoyment of their pets melted away, and all that work was suddenly a nuisance.

Considering your stage, and the fact that you're not really inclined to animal care in general, I would consider whether you really just want a baby and are trying to fill that need before you bring in an animal which needs work, training, and attention.
Back to top

amother




Apricot
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 4:01 pm
My kid begged and begged for a bunny. When he decided to move out the bunny didn't. Sp guess who got stuck taking care of him for 3 more years?? Don't do it. A cat is much better.
Back to top

vintagebknyc




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 4:03 pm
Rappel wrote:



Regarding cats and countertops - there are plenty of ways to train that out of them too. Our own Elfrida had the best tip though: cover your counters/table with upside down aluminium pans every night for two weeks. The cats will never touch your counters again.


I tried this, and for two weeks I was awakened in the middle of the night my the pans crashing to the floor as my kitty knocked them over. It was such a good idea... but it didn't work in this house.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 4:03 pm
Rappel wrote:

Regarding cats and countertops - there are plenty of ways to train that out of them too. Our own Elfrida had the best tip though: cover your counters/table with upside down aluminium pans every night for two weeks. The cats will never touch your counters again.


It sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately I can't take credit for it. I've never even heard of that one, let alone tried it.

I just keep a few spray bottles of water around the kitchen and shpritz any cat who is looking speculativly at the counters or the table. They hate being wet, and learn the rules very quickly. Now I only have to pick up a bottle and they innocently saunter off in the other direction.
Back to top

amother




Blush
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 4:43 pm
I desperately wanted a dog as a child so my parents compromised and we moved through the non-dog pets.

I had a rabbit which I kept in my room; I had an iguana; I had a parakeet and I also had a pair of love birds. There might have been a hamster or two along the way and a chameleon and no doubt some gold fish along the way.

The rabbit was really not much of a pet - it wasn't evil or annoying but it didn't offer much satisfaction. If I let it out of its cage and didn't watch it, the rabbit would nibble at any books I had lying around.

The iguana was only exciting when it would periodically escape and scramble up my mother's curtains.
The birds were very pretty but for whatever reason, they didn't do much.

My friend got rats for her daughters and they loved them and would cuddle with them. She had researched and learned they were a better pet than hamsters - I can't testify to that.

But then my parents brought home a dog for me when I was in high school. They had gone to a meeting and talked to a girl who had bought a dog but realized it was too much for her so they brought it home for me. And within about two weeks, the dog had managed to endear himself to everyone in the house including my Bubbe who had been the furthest thing from being a dog lover. It was a wonderful companion for her - the dog would go down to her apartment (she lived below us) and they would spend the day together - watching her soap operas and she would walk him at lunch. She even requested that it be specially groomed for the holidays so that she could show him off along with the rest of her grandchildren. LOL My father would tear up for years after the dog died because he had grown to love the dog so much.

A dog is a big commitment - no doubt but there really isn't anything quite like the relationship one has with a dog. I guess people love their cats and they are easier because they don't have to be walked - but one has to deal with a litter box. Smile
Back to top

amother




Mistyrose
 

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 4:45 pm
Look into renting a bunny for a week or a month. That'll probably be enough to cure your kids when they see how hard it is to care a pet.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets

Related Topics Replies Last Post
need an idea for purim shtick for boys' class
by sim
6 Tue, Feb 23 2021, 11:14 pm View last post
Need cute idea for this theme please
by amother
19 Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:55 pm View last post
Help with Stroller idea - read OP please!
by amother
12 Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:46 am View last post
Most original idea for covering counters on pesach
by amother
41 Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:58 am View last post
Spy/detectives idea
by amother
12 Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:50 am View last post