Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Massive amounts of homeless people being moved to Boro Park
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:06 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I’m equating not wanting ‘those other people’ to live in the same neighborhood as me from one place to another. Excuse you.

They have their excuses btw- it’s not antisemitism- it’s just that they have those houses of worship and those schools. Ruining property values...
Bottom line is everyone has their own justification for their biases.

It's not the same at all. Perhaps you would like to welcome junkies, criminal and severely mentally ill people to your hood. You will enjoy stepping over needles and liquor bottles. Make sure your little one doesn't pick up one. And make sure your kids never play outside by themselves or walk to school or to the grocery.

Sometimes, some jewish people are our own worst enemy.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:10 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
It's not the same at all. Perhaps you would like to welcome junkies, criminal and severely mentally ill people to your hood. You will enjoy stepping over needles and liquor bottles. Make sure your little one doesn't pick up one. And make sure your kids never play outside by themselves or walk to school or to the grocery.

Sometimes, some jewish people are our own worst enemy.

Yup. I can tell. I can’t wait until the media finds out about the prevailing attitude in the neighborhood. Way to make us look good. Again.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:27 pm
Yup. I can tell. I can’t wait until the media finds out about the prevailing attitude in the neighborhood. Way to make us look good. Again.

Do you live in this neighborhood?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:38 pm

Do you seriously think that NIMBY is limited to Orthodox Jews?

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:47 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Normal rent stabilization is around for a while, but rents were always raised, within limit.

In very recent years, the rent raise amounts are 0 or 1 percent.

Also, there’s a newish law that even when a tenant moves out, you cannot raise the rent for the new tenant.
This is killing landlords, giving them no money to renovate apartments, or do any kind of service for the building.

So apartments that went for $2900 5 years ago, you must keep at the $1450 now when a tenant moves out. (Numbers are made up, just examples)

This results in lower living conditions, lower quality of life in a once prosperous NY.

Are you aware of the laws in NYC at all? It doesn’t seem like you do.

We own multiple housing developments throughout NYC, and so did my parents, so I’ve known the field since I was little.

A lot of businesses are in a difficult position these days. But is it true that the Jewish landlords are choosing to rent out these apartments to the homeless?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:55 pm
The landlords are [names removed by mod].

[If you have an excellent reason why you must know the names of the landlords, please pm Yael.]

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:00 pm

Are we guilt tripping Jews into silence just so some rich investors can make more money? If these properties are owned by Jews then they should rent it out to all these young Jewish couples who are getting married and in desperate need of housing. Yes, it would be rent stabilized but helping fellow Jews is also a chesed and Hashem will reward the homeowners for it. Why should these young couples pay triple the price in the same neighborhood when they can get a rent stabilized apartment for cheap?
The community should apply to the apartments (even if they are dilapidated because the rent would be cheap so its worth it to fix it up as you are rent stabilized for life) and pull the rent history to ensure that the landlords dont overcharge them. If the landlords dont accept the Jews applying then they can be sued for discrimination as its not legal for them to not accept tenants based on race (which is being Jewish) or religion (which is Orthodoxy).

Here is information to pull the rent history-- https://hcr.ny.gov/most-common.....nants

Btw, some of the units look really nice, it would be a chaval for it not to go to young Jewish couples who desperately need affordable housing-- https://streeteasy.com/buildin.....oklyn

https://www.apartments.com/500.....b4ep/

https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

elsily

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:13 pm
cutestbaby wrote:
It's only one person and I'm pretty sure she does get it and she's just trolling
What can I say, people are bored

Not trolling and I’m not the only one who feels this way, if you read the thread.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:15 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Are we guilt tripping Jews into silence just so some rich investors can make more money? If these properties are owned by Jews then they should rent it out to all these young Jewish couples who are getting married and in desperate need of housing. Yes, it would be rent stabilized but helping fellow Jews is also a chesed and Hashem will reward the homeowners for it. Why should these young couples pay triple the price in the same neighborhood when they can get a rent stabilized apartment for cheap?
The community should apply to the apartments (even if they are dilapidated because the rent would be cheap so its worth it to fix it up as you are rent stabilized for life) and pull the rent history to ensure that the landlords dont overcharge them. If the landlords dont accept the Jews applying then they can be sued for discrimination as its not legal for them to not accept tenants based on race (which is being Jewish) or religion (which is Orthodoxy).

Here is information to pull the rent history-- https://hcr.ny.gov/most-common.....nants

Btw, some of the units look really nice, it would be a chaval for it not to go to young Jewish couples who desperately need affordable housing-- https://streeteasy.com/buildin.....oklyn

https://www.apartments.com/500.....b4ep/

https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

From reading this thread, it seems the people who bought the properties intended on fixing them up but laws made it impossible to afford to do so? So now they cant, and therefor cant get tenants.

elsily

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:20 pm
watergirl wrote:
From reading this thread, it seems the people who bought the properties intended on fixing them up but laws made it impossible to afford to do so? So now they cant, and therefor cant get tenants.

If that’s the case, then maybe the BP community can come together to raise money to fix these properties or help members of the community fix them so that they won’t be “inhabitable” by the frum community.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:22 pm
elsily wrote:
If that’s the case, then maybe the BP community can come together to raise money to fix these properties or help members of the community fix them so that they won’t be “inhabitable” by the frum community.

That would be billions of dollars.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:22 pm
watergirl wrote:

They wouldnt be making much money off these buildings but if they really want to "help" people, then charity begins at home and they should rent it out to young Jewish couples who need affordable housing. The fact that they are not doing that shows that they dont care about helping anyone, just about the amount of money that will go into their pockets at the end of the day. Who cares about the quality of the neighborhood or if gang members or drug addicts live in these neighborhoods? As long as they get their money then they have nothing to worry about as they dont even live in the neighborhood (and no, they wouldnt dare move these people in if they live in the building or even in the neighborhood).
But the community can strike a deal with the homeowners that the tenants will fix up the apartments just as long as they get the rent stabilized affordable rents in exchange. It would be worth it in the long run since the landlord wouldnt have to put up the money to renovate the apartments (although some seem to be renovated already) and the tenants would have affordable housing so it evens out. Perhaps a partnership with some Jewish companies that renovate kitchens and houses would be beneficial to all involved and keep the neighborhood safe and still allow for affordable housing.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:29 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
They wouldnt be making much money off these buildings but if they really want to "help" people, then charity begins at home and they should rent it out to young Jewish couples who need affordable housing. The fact that they are not doing that shows that they dont care about helping anyone, just about the amount of money that will go into their pockets at the end of the day. Who cares about the quality of the neighborhood or if gang members or drug addicts live in these neighborhoods? As long as they get their money then they have nothing to worry about as they dont even live in the neighborhood (and no, they wouldnt dare move these people in if they live in the building or even in the neighborhood).
But the community can strike a deal with the homeowners that the tenants will fix up the apartments just as long as they get the rent stabilized affordable rents in exchange. It would be worth it in the long run since the landlord wouldnt have to put up the money to renovate the apartments (although some seem to be renovated already) and the tenants would have affordable housing so it evens out. Perhaps a partnership with some Jewish companies that renovate kitchens and houses would be beneficial to all involved and keep the neighborhood safe and still allow for affordable housing.

I'm not an investor, I'm not a landlord, and I do not know much about laws, policies, and regulations. But I am willing to bet what you wrote above is overly simplistic, lacking knowledge of the system (like I do as well) and lacking understanding of nuance. Also, landlords are not chessed machines who are honor bound to help people. As long as their businesses are yashardig and halachically and legally compliant, thats all anyone can really demand from anyone else, isn't it?

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:35 pm
watergirl wrote:
I'm not an investor, I'm not a landlord, and I do not know much about laws, policies, and regulations. But I am willing to bet what you wrote above is overly simplistic, lacking knowledge of the system (like I do as well) and lacking understanding of nuance. Also, landlords are not chessed machines who are honor bound to help people. As long as their businesses are yashardig and halachically and legally compliant, thats all anyone can really demand from anyone else, isn't it?

I live in rent stabilized housing so I know and understand the laws so no need to be condescending. Everything I said stands, the community can work with the homeowners to keep the affordable housing in the community (and no, the homeowners wouldnt necessarily get richer but they wouldnt lose too much either if the tenants fix up the apartments in exchange for affordable rent stabilized housing).

The other option is converting the buildings into coops or condos and selling each unit separately but I am not exactly sure what that entails so I wont comment on it. Perhaps someone else can clarify and elaborate.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:38 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I live in rent stabilized housing so I know and understand the laws so no need to be condescending. Everything I said stands, the community can work with the homeowners to keep the affordable housing in the community (and no, the homeowners wouldnt necessarily get richer but they wouldnt lose too much either if the tenants fix up the apartments in exchange for affordable rent stabilized housing).

The other option is converting the buildings into coops or condos and selling each unit separately but I am not exactly sure what that entails so I wont comment on it. Perhaps someone else can clarify and elaborate.

I did not at all intend to be condescending. Thats the issue with reading text; you cant hear tone of voice. I said clearly that I know nothing about owning property. I want to believe if it were possible to do as you suggested, it would be done.

Sprinkles1

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:40 pm
Who is/was living in these apartments till now? Are they empty?

leah233

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:54 pm
I’m equating not wanting ‘those other people’ to live in the same neighborhood as me from one place to another. Excuse you.

They have their excuses btw- it’s not antisemitism- it’s just that they have those houses of worship and those schools. Ruining property values...
Bottom line is everyone has their own justification for their biases.

I'm from the few amothers who actually IS sympathetic to the feelings of those who don't want frum people moving into their towns and don't think their viewpoint is necessarily coming from anti-Semitism.

Even so, there is no comparison between their complaints of they will change zoning, allocation of township funds they will never be personal friends with us, their children won't play with ours which those people are saying and complaints about personal physical safety which people here are saying.

Any one who doesn't get that is suspect.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:54 pm
watergirl wrote:

If they are renting to people who will destroy frum neighborhoods then it’s not yashardig.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:03 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
If they are renting to people who will destroy frum neighborhoods then it’s not yashardig.

Like I said, from my understanding after hearing from everybody in this thread is that there are many different truths here and different truths can all be possible.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:18 pm
I'm super liberal and believe in supporting the chronically homeless by giving them homes first and working on their issues after because that helps them feel stable and like members of society. However I also live in a city with a large homeless population and understand where OP is coming from; I lived in a neighborhood that changed drastically when homeless encampments moved in and it reached a point where it was unsafe. Not "ew I have to look at tents and unwashed people muttering to themselves" unsafe—actually being threatened physically, screamed at, followed, etc.

One such neighborhood with the largest problem is mostly composed of new immigrants and poor people, so it's not like this was rich people problems. The neighborhood residents felt further abandoned by the city and that they were being used as a dumping ground for a problem no one wanted to really help with.

Such homeless people are probably best helped in small group homes that are connected to an organization that is actually capable of helping them become as healthy and as much a part of the community as possible while keeping themselves and people around them safe. Too large a population of people with issues in one place just contributes to dragging each other down and perpetuating problems instead of giving people a supportive environment, not to mention being unsafe for them.

I have a relative who is schizophrenic, violent, and has been homeless. They are actually a danger to others. A supportive group home has made a huge difference and the violence has pretty much stopped thanks to getting help and being on medication.
Page 10 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries