Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Opinion on Nordstrom’s shoe return policy
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 6:44 pm
For those who don’t know, Nordstrom has a great shoe return policy where you can always return/exchange shoes even if worn. I think it’s because they’re higher end and sell expensive shoes...
Anyway. I know people can really take advantage of this policy, and I just want to do the right thing. I assume they did make this policy knowing people will take advantage...But I want to do what’s right.
A year and a half ago I bought Ugg slippers and a few months later the fur was getting ripped so I exchanged them since I felt the quality was lacking. Recently my slippers ripped to the point that I can’t wear them, and while technically I can go back to the store and get another pair for free no questions asked I don't feel that it’s right... I would expect these slippers to last more than a year (so I’d exchange it for that reason) but I can be wrong. Then again technically I can exchange it for no reason.
Thoughts?
(These were a bday present I wouldn’t usually spend so much money on slippers)

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 6:48 pm
Email them and tell them the truth and let them decide. They'll likely take it back.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 6:53 pm
I really wouldn’t. Ugg slippers don’t last more then a year if they are worn often.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 6:55 pm
You wore it a year. Call it a day

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:01 pm
No shoe that's worn often is supposed to last more than a year.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:07 pm
I have ugg slippers that are like 3 months old and they are rally worn looking. I wear them every day for 2-3 hours and don’t go out in the car in them but def will walk my daughter to a neighbor or take out the garbage in them. This is how they wear. I keep buying them anyway, too comfy not to...

STovah

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:14 pm
I replace my Ugg slippers about every year to 18 months. I would never think to return them.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:43 pm
I'm a big returner. No - I would never return slippers that are 1.5 years old.

This reminds me of a traumatizing story.
I one time went to sephora to return a face cream that I had used multiple times but that I found did not work for me. I had the receipt and was within the time frame to return. There was a young girl behind the counter. She asked me if it was used. I said yes I used it multiple times and as it takes some time to see if this product works or not I see that it is useless for me and want to return. She started talking in a loud voice, I'm going to get a manager. The manager comes out and in a loud embarrassing way says, no we cannot take 1/2 used products. The product was used for 3 weeks - I did probably use about 1/4 of the item. I can't tell you how mortified I was. This was a sephora in howell on a busy Sunday morning, lots of frum people in the store as well as regular shoppers. I walked out almost crying. I contemplated calling the corporate office but then just gave it up. After that I shop for these types of items exclusively with Nordstrom/amazon and I return a lot. I would never return used shoes that I've worn for more than 2-3 days at most.

I don't know if they were right and I was wrong. I just wish they would have just said no we can't take it back without talking in a loud way and embarrassing me in front of the whole line.

mandr

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:37 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:

I one time went to sephora to return a face cream that I had used multiple times but that I found did not work for me. I had the receipt and was within the time frame to return. There was a young girl behind the counter. She asked me if it was used. I said yes I used it multiple times and as it takes some time to see if this product works or not I see that it is useless for me and want to return. She started talking in a loud voice, I'm going to get a manager. The manager comes out and in a loud embarrassing way says, no we cannot take 1/2 used products. The product was used for 3 weeks - I did probably use about 1/4 of the item. I can't tell you how mortified I was. This was a sephora in howell on a busy Sunday morning, lots of frum people in the store as well as regular shoppers. I walked out almost crying. I contemplated calling the corporate office but then just gave it up. After that I shop for these types of items exclusively with Nordstrom/amazon and I return a lot. I would never return used shoes that I've worn for more than 2-3 days at most.

I don't know if they were right and I was wrong. I just wish they would have just said no we can't take it back without talking in a loud way and embarrassing me in front of the whole line.

It's weird to return an item if you used it more than once or twice. I know they allow "gently used" items, but if you used it for 3 weeks you can hardly call it gently used. Especially as a frum Jew, I wouldn't. If it was a return by mail, that may be a different story. I don't get how you'd return this but not return shoes worn 2 days.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:44 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:

Why would you think it's ok to return a used product? What are they supposed to do with it? Eewww I hope they don't sell me any products that people have used already.
I also don't get returning shoes or clothing already worn, even for a day or 2. Do they resell these items?

mandr

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Why would you think it's ok to return a used product? What are they supposed to do with it? Eewww I hope they don't sell me any products that people have used already.
I also don't get returning shoes or clothing already worn, even for a day or 2. Do they resell these items?

No, they accept it as a loss. Like when you use Return Protection benefit on a credit card? They take the stuff you send back and throw it out. But they still make you return it Wink

TravelHearter

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:00 pm
I think higher end stores like Nordstrom have this return policy bc they want high customer satisfaction and if the client is unhappy with the quality/look etc they can return. Their policy isn’t ‘only work lightly’ like most product stores- they let you return anything any time no matter the condition

trixx

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:16 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

They actually toss it. I've returned items new in packaging (like brushes still sealed in plastic) and they throw it out in front of me. Made me feel so bad bc I bought it in store and the associate told me to buy it and said "you can always just return it" so wasteful
Edit that's sephora.

Clothing and shoes I think they send to places like Nordstrom rack

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:18 pm
As others have posted, I think that after 1.5 years of use, slippers have lived their useful life and therefore I would not return them.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:43 pm
Uggs are not meant to last more than a year. I would not return them.
(I am an avid Ugg slippers fan and after being gifted a pair, I will save up for a new pair every year / year and a half- they make my days so much more comfortable.)

cbsp

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

From Sephora's return policy:

https://www.sephora.com/beauty.....anges

Returns Policy
If you are not completely satisfied with a Sephora purchase or gift for any reason, please review our return, refund, and exchange policies below for Sephora.com purchases and in-store purchases. Products must be returned in new or gently used condition. Sephora monitors return activity for abuse and reserves the right to limit returns or exchanges at Sephora and Sephora inside JCPenney in all instances.

Sephora In-store Purchases and Instacart Orders
Sephora in-store purchases and Instacart orders of Sephora product may be returned if the product is in new or gently used condition within 30 days of purchase with a receipt or gift receipt at a store location for a refund in the same form of payment as your purchase was made

So the problem was that there was a difference of opinion as to what "gently" means - not that there was a problem with returning a used product.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:51 pm
trixx wrote:
They actually toss it. I've returned items new in packaging (like brushes still sealed in plastic) and they throw it out in front of me. Made me feel so bad bc I bought it in store and the associate told me to buy it and said "you can always just return it" so wasteful
Edit that's sephora.

Clothing and shoes I think they send to places like Nordstrom rack

This makes more sense.
But I don't think that these policies are made that we should get new free shoes every time we've worn out a pair that had a normal lifespan for a shoe.
That's just stealing and taking advantage of store policy. It's a horrible thing to do.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:18 pm
I think OP expected that expensive slippers should have a longer lifespan. Many here seem to feel that it is normal for them to fall apart completely at the 1-year mark.

mandr

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:29 pm
I have UGG slippers that I've worn daily and they lasted longer than a year. They are the ones with fur on top but a leather insole and rubber sole (UGG Joni). But anything worn every day for a year is bound to show signs of wear, even the most expensive well-made shoes. So returning after a year is really piggish imho.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:51 am
You know it’s not ok to return OP.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics