Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to request an evaluation for DS from NYC DOE

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:21 pm
My 12 year old DS is struggling horribly with math and needs support. I would love to get him a math tutor/SEIT to teach him in school, but we really can't afford to pay out of pocket. How do we go about asking the DOE to evaluate and provide support for him?

Mothers

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 8:44 pm
Where does he go to school?

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 8:52 pm
I think any agency can conduct the evaluation. Try calling any of them- Omni, Yeled VYalda, Strivright and ask if they do CSE evaluations for SETTS services.
Also, if he struggles academically he may also be eligible for speech language therapy if you are interested in that

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 12 year old DS is struggling horribly with math and needs support. I would love to get him a math tutor/SEIT to teach him in school, but we really can't afford to pay out of pocket. How do we go about asking the DOE to evaluate and provide support for him?

Sorry to hear about your son’s struggles.
Did you ask your son’s teacher how to go about it? I work in a preschool and we have a coordinator who deals with all the BOE paperwork...

Also just to clarify, SEIT is only till age 5.
Your son would need SETTS or P3

Hatzlacha!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:06 pm
Ppl above gave some good suggestions to ask the teacher/school your son goes to, but some schools are not efficient at coordinating everything. So, hopefully the school can help guide you to get an evaluation, otherwise, another option is to look up online which CSE covers the area you live, and you can call them to ask them the process.

Mothers

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:51 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I think any agency can conduct the evaluation. Try calling any of them- Omni, Yeled VYalda, Strivright and ask if they do CSE evaluations for SETTS services.
Also, if he struggles academically he may also be eligible for speech language therapy if you are interested in that

Agencies don’t do evaluations at the request of the parents. Agencies my be contracted by the CSE to do the evaluations, if the CSE doesn’t have anyone available. (The choice of agency is assigned randomly by computer.) Where does the child go to school? You will need to submit a referral to the chairperson of the CSE responsible for that school district. If you provide the name of the school, we could probably tell you who that is. If not, you can check with his school who is the liaison with the CSE, and that person can let you know where to submit your referral.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:52 pm
Thank you so much for all your responses. My son is in Torah Temima. He actually used to receive speech therapy through Strivright but we phased it out a few years ago. At the time he was managing with math, but it's gotten so much worse now. So it seems like my best bet would be to ask the school to request it? I'm going to get in touch with them and ask about it.

HakarasHatov

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:57 pm
Email the rep for your district and request an evaluation..

Here is a site that lists the contacts for each district

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/le.....ation

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:02 pm
In my children’s school, the way you go about it, is there’s someone in the school who coordinates all the services. If I want to request an evaluation, I ask her, she’ll send me the contact person at the DOE to reach out to. I then as the parent have to reach out to them and ask them to start with the evaluation process.
It can all take a few months, so don’t be surprised if you apply now, that if he is even approved, it won’t be until next school year till he actually gets the help he needs.
I have a 7th grade son who also gets P3 for weakness in math..
good luck...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:44 pm
Happy to report that BH his school was extremely receptive, and they immediately walked us through the steps we needed to take. We've submitted our request for evaluation to the DOE, and now we pray that they will respond quickly.

Thank you all so much for your help. I admit that I felt completely lost and overwhelmed by the issue, but I'm feeling much more hopeful now!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics