Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Stationary exercise how to lose weight ?

noidea

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 8:51 pm
Bought an exercise bike , I see there's several gears for harder pedal , what are they for does it make a difference for weight loss ?
Also weird question if I hold onto handlebar and how high/low seat is could it have any affect (since it's harder/easier workout) on how many calories burnt ?
I'm doing combo diet and exercise before you attack me that exercise alone will not make me lose weight !

yiddishmom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:39 pm
The different petals definitely make a difference. The harder it is for you to petal = the more energy you are exerting = more calories burned.

Here's a link regarding seat height/ position:
https://healthyliving.azcentra......html

Calorie Burning Calculator:
http://www.acaloriecalculator......ator/

Good luck on your health and weight loss journey.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:31 pm
The answer to this is long and complicated. Ive been studying nutrition for sport performance since September. I’m in a class being taught by people who have phd’s in nutrition and are physical trainers. One is also an exercise physiologist.

Basically, unless you are an athlete training and performing at high levels, exercise is a terrible way to lose weight. However, exercise is incredibly important for many other reasons. There’s a huge amount of research to back up what I’m saying. It’s known across the nutrition and fitness industries. Anyone who says different is either not well educated or trying to sell you something.

I think dr. Ben Bikman said it best when he said that depending how much time you spend exercising, it’s going to be either weight lifting or endurance exercise that will be better than the other from the perspective of improving insulin resistance. But his next comment is the most important thing ever said about exercise. “Do what you will DO.”

In the time since I started exercising I don’t particularly think I lost more weight. But in that time, my clothes feel better and look better AND my cardiologist fired me because I was very healthy.

I think it’s awesome you bought the bike if you like that. There are lots of videos on you tube that you can use to try spinning or making your rides creative but don’t kill yourself. If you’re doing a lot of exercise, a zone 2 heart rate is most beneficial for increasing endurance. You don’t have to kill yourself snd more importantly, if you do there’s no guarantee you lose more.

Basic reasons for this include the problem of ‘working up amd appetite’ that details your diet, or if you manage to both eat less snd burn excessive amounts of calories, you also run the risk of hitting a point where your body revels snd details you because it thinks you’re starving. These are known phenomena so I’m not taking out of the air.

I’m actually doing some research about circadian rhythms and as it turns out there’s a huge body of knowledge on the timing of eating and exercise and literslly everything else our bodies have a clock for. It’s fascinating that the same number and macros of food eaten at different times of day can have massive impact of weightloss and wellness. For that matter it can also have a huge impact in many things. Time restricted eating is also not just ‘starving.’ When you eat matters a great deal, as does when you exercise. A prof who is a friend studying circadian rhythms told me that 4 pm is apparently the best time for performance in competition which is interesting. I’m looking up the research she referenced when she said that too.

So, definitely exercise and enjoy! But don’t be so crazy you won’t want to do it any more! Do what makes you feel good and strong and healthy! Keep up your good eating! Other research by the way take about weight loss over a long period being more sustainable and there lmk are reasons like minimizing caloric deficit and making it sustainable long term. If you eat nothing and lose weight, what happens when you eat again? But if the deficit is small enough your body won’t be bothered and slowly you’ll lose and keep doing it and not be starving so you won’t quit. It’s how they do it with athletes so as not to compromise performance....

This program is incredible snd I’m very grateful to be in it. The people I have access to are amazing. My classmates include dieticians and trainer as well as people who’ve learned health promotion.

It’s evidence based and what I see is that not too much in nutrition is set in stone, but also that exercise is a valid thing to do on its own and not for weight loss. Body composition is another story.

Enjoy the bike! Find some fun stuff you WANT to do! Have fun!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise