Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Will you do anything different this year because of corona?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 11:38 am
This year is unfortunately will be very different for me being that I’m in aveilus for my dad who passed away from Covid. Crying

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 11:54 am
I’m doing a low key Purim because of Friday. Of course that means seeing less people. I will be wearing a mask to Megillah (will probably be the only one).
I’ll make a seuda for just DH and my kids even though I’m the one that always hosts our extended family Seuda.
I will have the kids deliver mishloach manos in the neighborhood and I will deliver to a few friends who I don’t social distance from. We all had Covid and feel comfortable being around each other maskless.
I don’t know how it’ll work with bachurim on Purim night, whether there will be groups or not collecting. I will allow my kids to go if the yeshiva encourages it.
My bigger concern is not having a messy home for Shabbos. The Covid part is really not something that will stop me from enjoying Purim. I will socialize as much as I do now.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:46 pm
No. Was basically the same for me even before corona.Happy its on Friday so I can try to pretend its a regular day.

yksraya

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
This year is unfortunately will be very different for me being that I’m in aveilus for my dad who passed away from Covid. Crying

Same...

Will make no MM. Dh can give, so for him I'll buy something ready he can quickly set up and give to whomever he has to give. And for kids rebbi's. But otherwise, no cute theme matching to my kids costume etc.

For whoever knows me well, I just love to come up with cute ideas and make really creative MM. So for me this is big, not to be able to give MM.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:18 pm
I'm not planning anything. I have no idea what will be the rules by then. As it still keeps changing every other day.... I hope to spend it with my parents and sibs....

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:50 pm
yksraya wrote:
Same...

Will make no MM. Dh can give, so for him I'll buy something ready he can quickly set up and give to whomever he has to give. And for kids rebbi's. But otherwise, no cute theme matching to my kids costume etc.

For whoever knows me well, I just love to come up with cute ideas and make really creative MM. So for me this is big, not to be able to give MM.

Women are also obligated in the mitzvos of Purim, so you ought to give to someone just from you, and give matanos le-evyonim.

yksraya

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:15 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Women are also obligated in the mitzvos of Purim, so you ought to give to someone just from you, and give matanos le-evyonim.

I know that.

I can't give for more than 1 tho. So no fancy themes etc this year.

#Happymom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:47 pm
I hope that purim will still be a joyous yom tov.
I bought all my mm stuff the day before we locked down, 2 weeks ago because I was scared that all the stores will be closed for too long.
We will probably hear megilla masked and social distanced and eat the meal ourselves. We hope to give as many friends as we can. Because I've planned my theme all the way back in elul!!!

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:49 pm
Me and DH will both be fully vaccinated so although we won't be running around I don't think we will be too careful.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:53 pm
yksraya wrote:
Same...

המקום ינחם אתכם בתוך שאר אבלי ציון וירושלים

I know that aveil don't receive MM, but are you sure they don't give?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:00 pm
Yes, minimum mishloach manos. Toned down everything.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:06 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

I had to learn this a few years ago. An aveil (male or female) gives to one person to fulfil the Mitzvah. They do not go beyond the minimum requirements.

If their husband/wife is giving to people they would normally give to as a family, the name of the aveil may also be on the package, ie 'from Mr and Mrs Cohen', but the one in aveilut should not be actually giving.

There are probably minor variations in how to approach the details, so as with everything, ask your own Rav.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:11 pm
Zoom megilla, MM to maayyyyybe 3 people, and 1 single guy guest who comes to me every shabbos

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:13 pm
kind of. My dh really dislikes shul because of the local rabbanim. Now that they are saying it's not mandatory to go to shul he's not. he already has a shofar that he blows for rosh hashana. he wasn't sure what to do about megillah reading, he reaaaaally didn't want to go to shul. in the end he ordered a kosher megillah and will just say it along with a recording online.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:36 pm
Waiting to see if a few people are going to the winterized bungalow colony for Purim. It will be easier to SD at the megillah reading and I would not have to give much MM. The seudah is probably going to be short.

Flowermum

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:43 pm
My purim is low key for the past few years anyway.

This we will be even more bsimchah that we are healthy aand well and appreciate the little things too

yksraya

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:50 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Amein.

I think it's both giving and receiving. Same with gifts I think. I've always known the not giving MM thing. I haven't actually formally checked the halacha about it, but do as I know my community does.

yksraya

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:56 pm
Btw, for anyone in the year of aveilus: when my Sil was in year for her mother, she was told that music on purim is allowed, as purim is a yom tov.

wiki

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:04 pm
Last year I was in quarantine on Purim and didn't leave the house at all.

This year, DH and I will be past our second vaccinations, as well as my in-laws, and we're looking forward to getting together again for the Purim seudah! It will be a nice symbolic going-full-circle.

(And even though I've been very Covid-careful all year, what's the problem with home-baked goods? That sounds lacking in basis, and I plan to bake for MM.)

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:12 pm
Will be hopefully making my party on Thursday Night not friday as a break the fast meal. (I dont social distance much anyway but my party is for ppl we have seen the entire time and never distanced from...). Friday will be toned down. Iyh I will have a newborn so dont anticipate running around so much.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics