Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Kosher edibles
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Would you buy kosher edibles
Yes  
 32%  [ 69 ]
No  
 67%  [ 146 ]
Total Votes : 215

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:15 am
So no one has a problem with their boys and husbands getting so drunk on Purim that they are throwing up in the streets? Do you know how many guys end up in the ER with alcohol poisoning on Purim? What about letting little kids have 4 cups of wine at the seder. I've seen kids pass out and end up under the table! Don't even start me on drunk drivers.

Yet alcohol is perfectly legal, and safe in small amounts when used responsibly.

Personally, I do not react well to THC. I really like CBD oil though, and would eat a CBD gummy or other product. I had a CBD caramel candy once, and it was amazing.

The thing is, the distillery equipment you need to get pure oil is incredibly expensive. It's not an easy process, and it's difficult to guarantee percentages of active ingredient. You almost have to have a degree in chemistry. Just being a good cook is not enough.

If you really want to get upset about something, go to the yeshivas on break, and see how many boys are smoking or vaping. It's illegal to do this if you are under 18 years old, but many yeshivas look the other way, because "boys need an outlet." I'd rather a boy go talk to a girl, than have him smoke. Talking to girls doesn't give you cancer.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:33 am
I OD'd on an edible once. It was very scary and traumatizing and should be regulated to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
So no one has a problem with their boys and husbands getting so drunk on Purim that they are throwing up in the streets? Do you know how many guys end up in the ER with alcohol poisoning on Purim? What about letting little kids have 4 cups of wine at the seder. I've seen kids pass out and end up under the table! Don't even start me on drunk drivers.

Yet alcohol is perfectly legal, and safe in small amounts when used responsibly.

Personally, I do not react well to THC. I really like CBD oil though, and would eat a CBD gummy or other product. I had a CBD caramel candy once, and it was amazing.

The thing is, the distillery equipment you need to get pure oil is incredibly expensive. It's not an easy process, and it's difficult to guarantee percentages of active ingredient. You almost have to have a degree in chemistry. Just being a good cook is not enough.

If you really want to get upset about something, go to the yeshivas on break, and see how many boys are smoking or vaping. It's illegal to do this if you are under 18 years old, but many yeshivas look the other way, because "boys need an outlet." I'd rather a boy go talk to a girl, than have him smoke. Talking to girls doesn't give you cancer.

HEAR HEAR 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼💃💃

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:27 am
Nope.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:41 am
Rappel wrote:
Anyone whom has encountered weed culture knows that this means. I was actually surprised so many imas here don't recognize the term.

OP, I think providing a kosher product would actually be a service to the community. We wouldn't buy for personal reasons, but I'm sure many would.

If you mean for medical use, that might be a service. Recreational, a disservice.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:43 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:

And that is really so important and again it counts for even for a booze. Let's say, you go to a L'chaim you are not nursing nor pregnant and you want to have wine with your friends. Your mother was again nagging about things you did wrong and you are a bit stressed about and angry.
You are at the L'chaim and oh no someone who spoke so much lashon hara about you is there to with her friends... Well mb out of stress and feeling uncomfortable you are going to drink more, you will be a having a huge hangover afterwards... maybe you come back after a few wines and make a fight with your husband, just always be careful. Never ever do any drugs or alcohol while you feel down, unsafe or anything.

This has been told while I was studying for dramatherapist for 3 years by someone who worked with drug and alcohol addicts.

Does pot enhance the taste? Because there are people who have that glass of wine, or l'chaim, don't get buzzed at all, but they enjoy the taste. What other utility is there to pot besides getting high?

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:44 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Of course many in said communities are upset with the above mentioned problems!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:44 am
Teomima wrote:
I'm curious why so many people seem to feel being frum is a reason not to partake. What does being frum have to do with anything? If you're careful and responsible, getting a little high is no worse than having a nice stiff drink, and we all know Judaism has nothing against drinking, even to the point of drunken excess (Purim, anyone?) Getting high doesn't have to be like in the movies. I know plenty of people who enjoy partaking just a little at the end of a hard day to help take the edge off.

And does that leave them with daas to attend to the kids, learn, etc.?
What else could they do to take the edge off? Exercise? Hobby? Other?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:50 am
This thread is about edibles. Specifically edibles that are sweet enticing "can't eat just one nosh"

If a person wants to smoke a joint have a puff or two and save the rest for later it's not as risky for the small children.

We don't really keep alcohol or drugs in our house. But when we do have alcohol around it's not a fruit punch or a smoothy to confuse the kids.

I have the same issue with those hard ciders or mixed drinks in bottles.

Even more problematic is a home operation that may not be accurately guaging concentration of the product.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:55 am
Colorado killer who blames marijuana edible for wife's murder speaks out
By LORI JANE GLIHA Rocky Mountain PBS/
Special to The Gazette

Nov 24, 2018 Updated Jun 20, 2020

Editor’s note: Richard Kirk murdered his wife in 2014 and is speaking out from prison for the first time about the marijuana edible he says caused him to do it. Meanwhile, new research at one Colorado hospital sheds light on edibles and psychosis.

A father of three who killed his wife by shooting her in the head in 2014 insists the marijuana edible he ate made him do it.

“There is absolutely no other situation that I can think of where I would do that,” said Richard Kirk, who was convicted of second-degree murder in 2017 for killing his wife, Kris. “For me, I know it’s 100 percent — it’s the marijuana and me ingesting it — is the reason that I did it.”

Now a Colorado-based marijuana researcher says he’s finding evidence that edible forms of marijuana spark more psychiatric problems than smoked versions. That’s on top of previous research that found some edible marijuana users experienced psychosis — a mental break with reality.

Clearly edibles seemed to have a more severe toxicity than inhaled agents, and it seemed that much of this is actually psychiatric in nature,” said Dr. Andrew Monte, a marijuana researcher and a physician at UCHealth University of Colorado.

For the first time since the killing, Kirk spoke exclusively to Rocky Mountain PBS from the Bent County Correctional Facility, where he was incarcerated at the start of his 30-year prison sentence.

“I didn’t know it was my wife,” he sobbed when asked why he pulled the trigger. “I thought it was somebody else, I guess. That’s the only way I could have done it. I never ever once thought about even hurting my wife or pushing her or anything — let alone taking her life, taking her away from her three boys.”

Report on marijuana's impact on Colorado since legalization finds benefits amid some trouble spots
COLORADO SPRINGS NEWS
Report on marijuana's impact on Colorado since legalization finds benefits amid some trouble spots
By DAVID OLINGER Special to The Gazette
Kirk denied accusations that escalating marital conflicts and financial struggles could have been motives for murder and suggested that more studies and research about edibles and how they affect one’s body and mind would be useful.

“I believe 100 percent that can trigger a psychosis in someone that is otherwise completely mentally healthy,” he said.

Paid defense consultant
“Not everybody that takes an edible agent is going to have hallucinations,” said Monte, the researcher. “Many, many people do take it and take it safely, and so we need to understand and respect that. But … the risk seems to be much higher for edible agents than it does for smoked agents.”

Monte sits on the state’s Retail Marijuana Public Health Advisory Committee and has conducted more than 10 cannabis-related illness studies since 2009. He also worked as a paid consultant for Kirk’s defense team early in the case.

His most recent study, which has been under peer review for several months, found a disproportionate number of complications, like hallucinations, in edible users who visited the emergency room when compared with patients who smoked marijuana.

Monte said he tracked the 2,600 marijuana-attributable patient visits to the emergency department over the last five years. While the number of visits was very low when compared with all emergency room visitors, less than 1 percent, Monte said the trend is important to watch.

“There seem to be a disproportionate number of visits associated with edible cannabis products compared to other (marijuana) products,” Monte said.

Kirk, who was addicted to pain pills in 2014, said he bought marijuana as an alternative to help with his back pain when his prescription medication expired. He purchased and consumed part of a 100-milligram marijuana gummy edible shortly after Colorado legalized the drug for recreational use.

At the time, the state had not yet developed regulations that would restrict the amount of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, in a single recreational serving.

Kirk said he nibbled part of the orange gummy candy at home, and more than an hour later, he started feeling “weird” effects.

“It was like I was in a different place. It was like I didn’t know,” he said. “I remember being out on our deck. I remember jumping through my youngest son’s window, trying to go to the screen when there is a door right outside of his room. I remember scraping my shins and being sore.”

Kirk said he remembered fumbling with the family’s gun safe after pressuring his son to recite the numbers in their street address.

“I just lost myself,” he said, crying. “I didn’t know where I was. I didn’t know what I was doing. I didn’t know what the threat was. I didn’t know if I was the threat. I didn’t know.

“I miss the loving contact of my family, the embraces of my wife, the scent of clean pillows. I miss that I have absolutely no communication with my three sons,” he said.

Despite his insistence that the marijuana made him do it, many have questioned his intentions.

He and his wife had financial difficulty, and Kirk was known for his short temper.

In a police report, one of his wife’s family members told detectives that Kirk “always seemed … like he was on the verge of being out of control,” and had “road rage issues.”

Police documented allegations that Kirk had a “nasty streak,” and that his wife, Kris, told a colleague she “wanted to tell (Kirk) that she didn’t love him anymore.”

Kris’ sister told authorities that she always had a feeling that Kirk was “capable of hurting her sister.”

Kirk said the problems he had with his wife were typical of any relationship. “Those are normal things that I feel we were going through,” he said.

The state has made significant changes to marijuana regulations since that high-profile incident, including restricting how much THC can go into a single edible and serving size.

Changes, sales, research
State estimates show about 6.5 million marijuana users visit Colorado annually, and the state sold more than 9.2 million recreational edibles in 2017.

There is no consistent tracking system for violent or psychotic reactions to marijuana in Colorado, but marijuana proponents point out that high-profile incidents, like the Kirk case, are extremely rare and consumers have been empowered to use edibles responsibly for years.

“Did we do everything right out of the gate? No,” said Rachel Gillette, who sits on the Board of Directors of Colorado’s NORML organization, a group that supports legalized marijuana products. “I mean we obviously had a learning curve that we’ve worked very hard as a state to make sure (to address) all of the issues surrounding edibles and product safety — making sure consumers understand how to use them safely — we’re trying to make sure all of that is addressed by our body of regulations.”

Gillette said it is unfair to link THC consumption to adverse behavior any more than any other drug, including alcohol.

“These are unfortunate circumstances which is why I am for the importance of educating people on this product,” Gillette said. “The cannabis industry as well as cannabis advocates have been begging for the federal government to allow more studies that are more relevant to the use of cannabis — the safe use and consumption of cannabis.”

Kari Franson, an associate professor of clinical pharmacy at the University of Colorado, helped draft the state’s rules as a member of the Colorado Marijuana Consumer Safety and Social Issues Work Group.

“I think the best thing that we did was limit what was the maximum dosage that could go into any one edible product,” Franson said.

The state limits 100 milligrams of THC to a single package and serving sizes must contain no more than 10 milligrams of THC. Each serving must also be marked with a THC symbol.

Franson said the body absorbs edibles differently than smoked or inhaled versions of cannabis.

“How much gets in can vary depending on what somebody ate that day, if they’re on another drug, if they just exercised that day, how much fluid they have in their system,” Franson said. “There’s a lot of different factors.”

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:37 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Does pot enhance the taste? Because there are people who have that glass of wine, or l'chaim, don't get buzzed at all, but they enjoy the taste. What other utility is there to pot besides getting high?

I smell weed from miles away, imho it doesn’t enhance any taste.

wiki

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:43 am
I would not judge a neighbor who partook of CBD edibles any differently than one who enjoys liquor. Obviously, one is within our culture's mainstream and the other is not, but the medical consensus might even say that the CBD is less addictive and dangerous.

My household is against both. Caffeine is the only psychoactive chemical we enjoy (other than a sip of wine at kiddush), and even the caffeine is within moderation.

But maybe we're just weirdly abstemious.

Teomima

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:10 am
PinkFridge wrote:
And does that leave them with daas to attend to the kids, learn, etc.?
What else could they do to take the edge off? Exercise? Hobby? Other?

No more or no less than a drink. Personally I really enjoy a gin and tonic at the end of a hard day. No one's used being frum or not as a reason to argue why having a drink is good or bad. So I'm just asking why that's a reason to argue marijuana usage.

Calmit

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:19 am
I would love to try it...

Teomima

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:23 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
This thread is about edibles. Specifically edibles that are sweet enticing "can't eat just one nosh"

If a person wants to smoke a joint have a puff or two and save the rest for later it's not as risky for the small children.

We don't really keep alcohol or drugs in our house. But when we do have alcohol around it's not a fruit punch or a smoothy to confuse the kids.

I have the same issue with those hard ciders or mixed drinks in bottles.

Even more problematic is a home operation that may not be accurately guaging concentration of the product.

But this product also seems geared towards someone who has consumed edibles and is looking for a new source for kosher options. Thus it's fair to assume the targeted market already knows how to limit consumption due to delayed reactions, hide well from children, and dose accurately. And of course OP would have to be very careful to ensure correct concentration levels. It's a lot of responsibility.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:27 am
Not my kind of thing. I also don't drink. I don't see a point of taking a break from reality, and an altered mental state sounds highly irresponsible, especially if you are a parent of young children.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:45 am
wiki wrote:
abstemious.

Oooh, one of my favorite words! I'm a word nerd. Nerd

OP, I think a better course of action would be to take your money and invest in a company that already makes regulated products, and invest there.

While you're negotiating with them, convince them that they need to be certified kosher - and that you will help with advertising and distribution in the frum community.

BTW, if you are worried about kids, remember that there are plenty of people who don't have kids yet, or the kids have all moved out, or are elderly and have a lot of joint pain. If you have kids in your house, and can't find a safe way to store it, then definitely don't buy it.

That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be available to those who need it and can store it responsibly - just like any other prescription medicine.

Drain cleaner
Alcohol
Prescription drugs
Aspirin
Chewable vitamins
Nosh
Guns
Computers

All of these things should be put away properly if you don't want your kids to get into them. That's just common sense. (Now that I'm thinking about it, why don't bathroom medicine cabinets come with locks?)

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 9:38 pm
OP did you end up starting the business?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 10:07 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
OP did you end up starting the business?

No, I didn't. Why do you ask?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 10:30 pm
Personally I would first buy from a regulated brand before I would buy homemade edibles.

I prefer homemade baked goods, homemade salads ect. But when it comes to something with room for error I want to be more careful.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics