Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
3 year old comes home and tantrums

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:21 pm
Its my 3.5 year old first year at school and she absolutely loves it. Every day when she comes home she either has a huge 20-30 minute tantrum and then she goes off to play or she falls asleep instantly. This is normal right? She is there for 5 hours and usually sleeps for 12

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:35 pm
Sounds tired. My kid hasn’t needed a nap since before 2 but it sounds like yours does. The day is probably very stimulating and exhausting for her

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:35 pm
Totally normal. School tires children out.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:39 pm
She’s probably just tired and hungry after a long day

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:06 pm
Normal.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:19 pm
Ok lol thanks for the confirmation!!!!

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:24 pm
She's just letting all her days emotions out on you. It's good that you're her safe space. Feed her immediately and set her up with a quiet activity like reading a book together, her doll, a sensory bin etc

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:38 pm
So do I.

Joking. But everyday when I get home from work, I'm drained and I need to do nothing for like 30 minutes. I've been like that since forever.

My 4yo is also like this. When he gets home it's snack and rest time. He used to also have 45 minute tantrums after school last year, BH alot better now.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:09 pm
My son does this. He has a hard time behaving all day so when he comes home he takes it out on us. He’s also desperate for his pacifier at this time. I don’t know of that is your daughters problem, but it’s definitely my sons.

Here’s what we do.
1. Take off coat and briefcase. Bathroom. Give him paci and set a timer for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile prepare a snack and setup a sensory bin.
3. Once the timer beeps have him bring his paci upstairs to his room until bedtime- if he doesn’t give it back right away he won’t get it tomorrow. Set him up at the table with a calming activity.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:14 pm
I find the best way to head off my toddler’s coming home tantrum is to get her excited for a snack on the way home and then immediately sit her down with that snack (generally something pseudo dinner like yogurt or oatmeal). It gives her a chance to sit and fill that empty tummy before the first melt down, and she’s calmer. Alternatively, we come home and go straight into the bath to play and eat dinner in pjs

mom!

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:19 pm
I find it helpful to bring a water bottle and small snack (few pretzels or rice cakes type) in the car for the way home. I find it really helps them calm down and avoids those tantrums walking through the door.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:38 pm
I try to give all my kids a full cup of water when they come in from school. it helps ward of major tantrums. one thing they for sure don't do in school and that's drink enough water. plus all the other tips from above.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:40 pm
Thanks for all the great tips! Definitely going to try them
What do you do as a sensory bin?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:16 pm
One additional tip: have a bathroom break right when you get home. Many times kids that age act up when they need to relieve themselves and don't always connect it, they're too busy tantrumming to pay attention.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:19 pm
It's normal, my 7 year old still does it. After a long school day and long bus ride, she comes home beyond koo koo. I let her give herself out and she calms down within afew minutes.
Kids are probably tired, hungry, need the bathroom, and possibly overwhelmed after a school day.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the great tips! Definitely going to try them
What do you do as a sensory bin?

Some good ideas:

Kinetic sand with tools

Play dough

https://nsheinews.com/creating.....hild/

https://aglassofgoldwater.com/.....kids/

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:24 pm
You can also creating a calming zone - a kid chair or swing with books, squishy stuff (like putty or squishy animals), a favorite stuffed animal or blanket. Let her go there to relax and unwind.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:34 pm
SuperWify wrote:
You can also creating a calming zone - a kid chair or swing with books, squishy stuff (like putty or squishy animals), a favorite stuffed animal or blanket. Let her go there to relax and unwind.

This really works for us. I made some sensory bean bags and have a lava lamp and a rocking chair and it really helps my toddler get back to himself after the day. Otherwise he's tantruming and then collapsing from exhaustion

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 10:17 pm
Thank you everyone for the suggestions!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics