Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Hiring and keeping a cleaning lady

thegiver

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:18 pm
Any tips without jokes Smile they are all so flaky and seem to run away from hard work. The latest one was sighing while washing my dishes. They have it to last minute to Decide if they will come this week or if they found a better gig...

Do you expect extremely little from ur cleaning help?

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:20 pm
I pay more than the going rate (or on the high end of the spectrum) to attract and keep good people. Often, you get what you pay for in these areas.

ETA: And, of course, treat them well and respectfully in all ways.

Last edited by challahchallah on Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:21 pm
Treat them like you would want to be treated if you were a cleaning lady.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:28 pm
Yes don't give them lots of work with out enough hours to do the work. Be reasonable.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:03 pm
I pay the going rate, or a bit more sometimes. I pay for her transportation. I offer a lot of food. I ask what they want from the grocery before I go out. I smile and say thank you a lot. I don’t rush them through the day. I make sure to pick up after myself.
And it’s mazel, really.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 5:25 am
I take from people who can recommend their work.

Treat like a mentch. Offer coffee when she walks in, give options for lunch etc. Shmooze a little when time allows. Ask
Her about her family, offer information about mine, nothing major just small talk.

I always pay even if I need to cancel.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 5:44 am
We have used the same weekly cleaning service for over 7 years. We tidy our house once a week, clearing as many surfaces as possible. We also clear away any dishes and utensils to avoid kashrus issues. They come the next day, and do the entire house: dusting, mopping, scrubbing bathrooms and other dirty surfaces such as stove top. It takes 2-3 people under 2 hours.

We pay a flat fee, regardless of time spent, that is high for our area, but we never have a problem with no-showing. They have canceled only once the entire time we have used them.

I am polite, but we don't have a warm personal relationship. I don't offer coffee, nor do they have any interest in lingering. It is a respectful business relationship, not much different than our accountant or our doctors. And that is how I prefer it. Not that other ways are wrong, but this is how I like it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:04 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
We have used the same weekly cleaning service for over 7 years. We tidy our house once a week, clearing as many surfaces as possible. We also clear away any dishes and utensils to avoid kashrus issues. They come the next day, and do the entire house: dusting, mopping, scrubbing bathrooms and other dirty surfaces such as stove top. It takes 2-3 people under 2 hours.

We pay a flat fee, regardless of time spent, that is high for our area, but we never have a problem with no-showing. They have canceled only once the entire time we have used them.

I am polite, but we don't have a warm personal relationship. I don't offer coffee, nor do they have any interest in lingering. It is a respectful business relationship, not much different than our accountant or our doctors. And that is how I prefer it. Not that other ways are wrong, but this is how I like it.

I think a cleaning service and a private pay cleaning lady are different. I want my lady to know that she is an important part of my household because she is.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:08 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I think a cleaning service and a private pay cleaning lady are different. I want my lady to know that she is an important part of my household because she is.

For sure, if you have a household employee and you are the employer, it is a very different relationship.

The cleaning service I use is very small and the owner herself is always one of the cleaners who comes. Her daughter is often, but not always, one of the cleaners. So they're not random people and there is an ongoing relationship there, but it is a business relationship. But I agree with you that I would approach it differently if I were hiring a household employee rather than outsourcing a single weekly clean.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:14 am
My lady has been with for 13 years. She is like a part of my family. I got lucky with her. When she started with me I liked her personality and her cleaning abilities and she speaks perfect English. I treat her with respect, pay her on time, give her raises, pay for an Uber is the weather is bad or if she stays late. She is welcome to eat any food, I let her use my washing machine if she has an emergency. Basically, treat people the way you want to be treated. Trust them and they will trust you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics