Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Bringing dd home from seminary for Pesach?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:03 am
What seminary is your dd in? Are you planning on bringing her home for Pesach? If so, did you book a flight yet? Does seminary give you any direction for what to do for Pesach? Are your plans for Pesach for dd different this year because of Covid then they would have been? Thanx!

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:11 am
Be aware that Israel is not permitting student visas at the moment. Of course, Pesach is two months away, and it is impossible to say what the policy will be by then, but as things stand if she leaves for Pesach she may not be able to come back.

If they do allow student visas, bidud is likely to be a requirement still, so that would have to be arranged within the seminary.

essie14

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:18 am
I have a niece in Bnos Yehudis. She is not going home for Pesach.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:23 am
My daughter is in Bnos Sarah, and I am not bringing her home for pesach.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:25 am
I didn't think the seminaries were letting girls leave and come back. I can only see this happening in yeshivos like the Mir, where there is regularly a new influx of students after Pesach.

Which is why I do think Israel will let students in for a week or so after Pesach, but each school can decide if they want to deal with that or not. And you may not know that far in advance.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:37 am
First time not bringing home a child for Pesach. I don't love it, but I'm being realistic that whoever comes home has no guarantee of going back, between paperwork and visas. Just not worth the headache.
If child really begs and wants it I'd weigh the pros and cons with them and ultimately give them the decision.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:38 am
My daughter's seminary just had covid go through the seminary. It was fine just annoying for the girls till it went through all the groups and rooms. Now the seminary is working on getting a many girls as possible an ishur from quarantine and then will see about pesach.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
My daughter's seminary just had covid go through the seminary. It was fine just annoying for the girls till it went through all the groups and rooms. Now the seminary is working on getting a many girls as possible an ishur from quarantine and then will see about pesach.

I've been curious about this- when a whole school gets covid, what happens if just a few girls don't and don't have antibodies?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

An ishur from quarantine works for citizens. There's no way of knowing if Israel will allow non-citizens to enter after Pesach, even with proof of antibodies.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:03 am
You can plan on bringing her home only if she's very aware of the possibility that she may not be able to get back into the country.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:04 am
The boys in yeshivas are all talking about coming home for Pesach.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:09 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
The boys in yeshivas are all talking about coming home for Pesach.

I know, they're all desperate to get back. its been a rough year without the same "getting out" breaks that a regular year includes. But they should also realize if they go home for pesach, they may not be able to get back into Israel. For some of them its probably worth to take the gamble, but if they are set on being here for summer zman its probably better to stay through pesach

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:18 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I know, they're all desperate to get back. its been a rough year without the same "getting out" breaks that a regular year includes. But they should also realize if they go home for pesach, they may not be able to get back into Israel. For some of them its probably worth to take the gamble, but if they are set on being here for summer zman its probably better to stay through pesach

The yeshiva has not sent any emails regarding Pesach. But it sounds like the yeshivas don’t want the boys staying for Pesach.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:22 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I didn't think the seminaries were letting girls leave and come back. I can only see this happening in yeshivos like the Mir, where there is regularly a new influx of students after Pesach.

Which is why I do think Israel will let students in for a week or so after Pesach, but each school can decide if they want to deal with that or not. And you may not know that far in advance.
I believe as of right now, and someone tell me if I am wrong, the israeli government is only allowing citizens back in to israel, so I would think that if a student leaves, they will not be allowed back in.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:24 am
Where will girls who stay be for Pesach? Will the seminaries be making Pesach for the girls?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:26 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I believe as of right now, and someone tell me if I am wrong, the israeli government is only allowing citizens back in to israel, so I would think that if a student leaves, they will not be allowed back in.

In addition, they are talking about not allowing citizens to leave Israel other than for certain exceptional cases, so that there will be no issue with having to allow them back in.

It is pretty accepted that letting too many Israelis fly is what brought in the British and South African mutations. We don't need more....

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:26 am
Chayalle wrote:
Where will girls who stay be for Pesach? Will the seminaries be making Pesach for the girls?

Probably. They knew that was a possibility at the beginning of the year. They'll have to set things up to enable the girls to stay in the dorms.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:27 am
Pesach was hands down my favorite part of my seminary year. My parents offered to bring me home but for some reason I chose to stay. I really felt sorry for all my friends who missed out.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:27 am
Chayalle wrote:

Dunno but I'll take a girl (or two) who is covid-free and not the partying type, in exchange for help with the kids and Pesach cleaning. I work from home and DH is essential, and unless the numbers are down, all the kids will be home....

s c

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:30 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I've been curious about this- when a whole school gets covid, what happens if just a few girls don't and don't have antibodies?

Am in this situation. My daughters sem had it a few months ago but my daughter didn't catch it as she had it back in March. I wanted to bring her home for her brothers barmitzvah in a couple of weeks but have just cancelled her tickets because she has been told she will have to quarantine in her room for 10 days when she gets back. Other girls who had it have been leaving for simchas and not having to do that. No idea what will be for pesach but am hoping that the situation will be better because of vaccinations.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children