Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Hesitant to test? Don’t want to know? Or something else
Previous  1  2  3  Next

If you have corona symptoms, did/will you test?
Yes  
 59%  [ 55 ]
No  
 34%  [ 32 ]
Other (explain)  
 6%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 93

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:15 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Op I’m not sure what the point of your poll is if you are just telling everyone who doesn’t agree with you how wrong they are. What exactly is your agenda here?

I wanted to know people’s reasons. No one is being forced to answer or comment here.

JD03

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:18 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
How do you know how long to stay home if you aren't sure what you have?

For me, it happened during a time when I was working remotely. I had no need to be out of my home so I stayed inside until about a week after my final symptoms cleared. When I left home after that I was fully masked.
If I'd had a pressing need to leave home any earlier, I'd have contacted my doctor and followed his advice.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:22 am
JD03 wrote:
For me, it happened during a time when I was working remotely. I had no need to be out of my home so I stayed inside until about a week after my final symptoms cleared. When I left home after that I was fully masked.
If I'd had a pressing need to leave home any earlier, I'd have contacted my doctor and followed his advice.

We're talking about a highly contagious disease. You could have given it to someone in your household who, having no symptoms, was out and about, unknowingly infecting other people.

Please test if you don't feel well. Yes, it can be a hassle, but right now, this is what we have to do to keep everyone healthy.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:25 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Do you really?
Not the case by me. You make an appointment. You drive up into the little drive through around the time of your appointment. You roll down your window and stick your head out. The nurse in full PPE swabs you. You drive away and they call you in 24-72 hours.

Could not be easier.

Please test. By not testing you run the risk of not getting antibody treatment early enough and spreading it to others.

Did you read my first line??

The drive thru is a great idea but not at the places I tested.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:30 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
We're talking about a highly contagious disease. You could have given it to someone in your household who, having no symptoms, was out and about, unknowingly infecting other people.

Please test if you don't feel well. Yes, it can be a hassle, but right now, this is what we have to do to keep everyone healthy.

What's with the lecturing?
Even my dr doesn't speak to people like that.
P.S. Reminder: Hashem is in charge of the virus.

JD03

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:34 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

My doctor does not recommend for people without symptoms to isolate, even if a family member does have symptoms.
Therefore, me confirming covid wouldn't have changed the actions of my family. They socially distanced and masked. And they would not have stayed home even I were positive, as per our doctor's directive.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:35 am
No only test if you have symptoms.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:36 am
JD03 wrote:
My doctor does not recommend for people without symptoms to isolate, even if a family member does have symptoms.
Therefore, me confirming covid wouldn't have changed the actions of my family. They socially distanced and masked. And they would not have stayed home even I were positive, as per our doctor's directive.

Just so you know, your doctor isn’t following CDC guidelines (and possibly your state guidelines depending on where you live).

JD03

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just so you know, your doctor isn’t following CDC guidelines (and possibly your state guidelines depending on where you live).

It's honestly extremely difficult to keep up with the official, often changing, cdc guidelines.
I trust my doctor and his advice.
Bear in mind, I spoke to him at the time when I was symptomatic, and that was almost half a year ago. It's possible that at that time the guidelines were different? I don't know.
At the end of the day I feel that I was fully responsible in my actions to myself and those around me, including strangers, etc.
May HaShem guide and protect us all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:41 am
JD03 wrote:
It's honestly extremely difficult to keep up with the official, often changing, cdc guidelines.
I trust my doctor and his advice.
Bear in mind, I spoke to him at the time when I was symptomatic, and that was almost half a year ago. It's possible that at that time the guidelines were different? I don't know.
At the end of the day I feel that I was fully responsible in my actions to myself and those around me, including strangers, etc.
May HaShem guide and protect us all.

It’s possible it was different then. Thank you for pointing that out

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 12:04 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
What's with the lecturing?
Even my dr doesn't speak to people like that.
P.S. Reminder: Hashem is in charge of the virus.

And us humans are in charge of making responsible choices.

Bitachon doesn’t eliminate personal responsibility.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:52 pm
No, I didn't test. Just told family and friends and kept away. This was while they were checking positivity rate by neighborhood to shut down schools etc. I didn't want to cause school closures.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:56 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
And us humans are in charge of making responsible choices.

Bitachon doesn’t eliminate personal responsibility.

My point is that you cannot control the virus through constant testing. It's unrealistic.
If someone's lecturing others and constantly testing themselves and their families while expecting others to do the same, then they need to check themselves and not for covid.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 4:03 pm
My point is that you cannot control the virus through constant testing. It's unrealistic.
If someone's lecturing others and constantly testing themselves and their families while expecting others to do the same, then they need to check themselves and not for covid.

Actually you def can control a virus through testing. We never had enough access in the beginning to be able to do that. It’s exactly what South Korea did. There are other countries as well. Being careful, cautious, getting tested to make sure you’re being safe and not making those around you sick isn’t the problem. It’s called being responsible.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Actually you def can control a virus through testing. We never had enough access in the beginning to be able to do that. It’s exactly what South Korea did. There are other countries as well. Being careful, cautious, getting tested to make sure you’re being safe and not making those around you sick isn’t the problem. It’s called being responsible.

South Korea controlled the spread in the beginning by testing + strict lockdowns. Now they're facing a second wave as things open up again.
(For the USA-) It's not really possible to eradicate the virus at this point. The lockdowns were meant to slow the spread, not stop the virus. Initially, that worked. And, as we open up, we get the second wave. High-risk ppl should take precautions. Most other people will get covid and recover. Testing won't change anything unless we commit to locking down completely.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 4:22 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
South Korea controlled the spread in the beginning by testing + strict lockdowns. Now they're facing a second wave as things open up again.
(For the USA-) It's not really possible to eradicate the virus at this point. The lockdowns were meant to slow the spread, not stop the virus. Initially, that worked. And, as we open up, we get the second wave. High-risk ppl should take precautions. Most other people will get covid and recover. Testing won't change anything unless we commit to locking down completely.

Do you have a background in health medicine or something similar? I haven’t heard many professionals say that testing won’t change anything, so I’m wondering if it’s just your opinion or if you have some data to back it up? What you’re saying about South Korea is true, and the US would have been in a better place if we did that and stayed vigilant.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 4:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Notice I'm talking about constant testing on the individual level. No you are not controlling the virus by testing every time you sneeze. By that logic you should test every day to see if you're asymptomatic.
Mass testing country-wide if it's a small area, yes you can temporarily control the virus for a little while until Hashem decides it's time for it to have a comeback.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 4:36 pm
JD03 wrote:
You're right. But I don't think it would've been possible for me to contact every single person I've had contact with on the off chance that they might be high risk.
Those closest to me, the ones I had the most exposure to, they knew I was feeling bad and possibly had covid. Others not so close, whom I'd had minimal/casual contact with, I doubt I'd have even remembered how and when we'd crossed paths throughout the time I was in the carrier period.
I know it sounds awful. And is unfair. But maybe high-risk people should take extra precautions? I'd have remembered if someone I knew was hyper-cautious and would have reached out to them with a warning. Maybe high-risk people should take periodic tests as a precaution? Take certain vitamins/meds as a precaution? I don't know. But I still don't see how me getting tested and knowing for sure I'm covid positive would've changed anything.
So if you aren’t feeling well but aren’t sure it’s COVID because you didn’t test, then you and your whole family stay indoors and quarantine for ten days just in case?

JD03

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 4:43 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
So if you aren’t feeling well but aren’t sure it’s COVID because you didn’t test, then you and your whole family stay indoors and quarantine for ten days just in case?

No, I stayed indoors. My family, who were feeling fine and had no symptoms, left the house as necessary.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 4:45 pm
Notice I'm talking about constant testing on the individual level. No you are not controlling the virus by testing every time you sneeze. By that logic you should test every day to see if you're asymptomatic.
Mass testing country-wide if it's a small area, yes you can temporarily control the virus for a little while until Hashem decides it's time for it to have a comeback.

We have a misunderstanding then bc I’m not talking about constant individual testing. But part of mass testing is that individuals get tested when they meet the guidelines to do so. So not a sneeze, but sore throat and fever would work, or another combo of symptoms.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics