Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Crispy sweet potatoes in oven?
1  2  Next

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:30 pm
Is there a way to get sweet potato “fries” to be crispy on the outside without the hassle of actually frying them? I don’t have an air fryer but my oven does have a convection setting if that helps.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:32 pm
Absolutely. Slice thinly and evenly, spray the top and bottom with oil, spice to your taste, and roast on 400 until crispy.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:35 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Absolutely. Slice thinly and evenly, spray the top and bottom with oil, spice to your taste, and roast on 400 until crispy.

Ok, maybe I’m just not roasting long enough? I have been roasting on 425 normal or 400 convection and they get very soft so I pull them out but they’re not at all crispy.

I am also tossing with oil because I don’t have the spray kind. I feel like that should be fine but maybe not?

-Sunnygirl

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:36 pm
Make sure to spray bottom and tops and roast for long time, like at least 45 mins! enjoy

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:38 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Ok, maybe I’m just not roasting long enough? I have been roasting on 425 normal or 400 convection and they get very soft so I pull them out but they’re not at all crispy.

I am also tossing with oil because I don’t have the spray kind. I feel like that should be fine but maybe not?

How thinly do you slice them?
I also sometimes make little cubes which work well. The smaller you cut them, the crispier they will be.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:38 pm
-Sunnygirl wrote:
Make sure to spray bottom and tops and roast for long time, like at least 45 mins! enjoy

Ok, I think I’m just not waiting long enough. I will keep going next time. Thank you!

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:39 pm
tigerwife wrote:
How thinly do you slice them?
I also sometimes make little cubes which work well. The smaller you cut them, the crispier they will be.

I was making long strips, probably 1/4-1/2” square by a few inches long. They were very tasty but very soft, not at all crispy.

trixx

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:42 pm
Space in between them.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:44 pm
Try broiling them for a few minutes

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:45 pm
enneamom wrote:
Try broiling them for a few minutes

I was using parchment paper so they don’t stick, but I have had parchment paper catch on fire under the broiler, so I’m hesitant to do that.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:46 pm
trixx wrote:
Space in between them.

This I was careful about so it wasn’t that, but thank you.

peanut1

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:46 pm
Are you roasting uncovered? I usually roast covered for about an hour and then uncover for a while so it gets crispy on the outside.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:47 pm
peanut1 wrote:
Are you roasting uncovered? I usually roast covered for about an hour and then uncover for a while so it gets crispy on the outside.

I was roasting uncovered the entire time.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:48 pm
challahchallah wrote:

I think the issue is that you used oil instead of cooking spray. I found that they only crisp with cooking spray.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:49 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I was using parchment paper so they don’t stick, but I have had parchment paper catch on fire under the broiler, so I’m hesitant to do that.

Yes, probably not a good idea. If you want to try it next time, I say put them straight in the pan without paper. You could spray the pan with nonstick spray first, if you want.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:52 pm
Coat them
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/.....ries/

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Coat them
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/.....ries/

Yeah, I should probably try this. They look great. It definitely ups the hassle factor though with the 30 minute soak followed by a careful pat dry. Thank you for the link.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:57 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I think the issue is that you used oil instead of cooking spray. I found that they only crisp with cooking spray.

Oh, that’s too bad. I generally don’t like the flavor of cooking spray, but maybe I’ll have to look into finding one that tastes better. Thanks.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:13 pm
Soak in boiling water and then dry to remove starch

shanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:21 pm
Yes I also have trouble getting them crispy. It sounds like the easier trick is to use spray not oil?
I had no idea
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes